Install Help!

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
so i had 8 sticks in same machine ran fine, i took 6 out and she worked fine now trying to reinstall them and it wont boot... i go back to the 2 and she woks fine, i tried clearing cmos, with and without battery, but no luck!! any tips???

asus x-399-e , corsair vengeance memory, win 10

thanks

I'd add them back 2 at a time until you figure out what the problem is. Might be a bad stick. Might be a bad slot.

i did the 2 at a time and the board is new i know new can also be defective but like i said its been working fine with all of them i took them out and now putting them back it wont work

is there any other way to try and restart when adding the new memory like hold the delete key or something?

Check the slots for debris, and check the pads on the memory for damage. When you install them, ensure the gap in the memory pcb matches the key in the slot, and push firmly on both sides until it clicks into place.

If you did all that, then it's likely either a configuration problem, or the memory is defective or unable to run at the rated speed with that processor/IMC. Resetting the cmos should fix the latter problem, but sometimes Ryzen processors are stubborn and refuse to forget memory settings.

Since it was working before, I suspect that there's either some sort of debris in the slots; or the contacts on the DIMM's are dirty; or you caused or aggravated a crack in one or more motherboard traces. The first two are fixable, the third would mean a new motherboard. I guess a fourth possibility is that you managed to static-zap 6 of the 8 sticks while they were out; that's easy to check for. (If it boots with ANY two sticks, it's either dirt or the motherboard broke.)

Back