Inspiron 9300 (mini review w/ pics)

steal said:
So call Dell and tell them to send you a CD, since you're the only person I've heard of not getting a windows cd with their notebook.

I did not get one either

ir0nw0lf said:
Stupid Dell holes. Dell rep calls me, tells me there is a configuration "anomaly" with my order--the factory is NOT capable (??) of putting XP Pro on the laptop and also including the MCE remote control, which is the way I wanted it. I have a MCE 2005 from my Action Pack subscription and wanted to try it, and if I didn't like it I would go back to XP Pro. So I told him to go ahead and put MCE 2005 on instead. I then asked about whether or not I would get the physical CD's of MCE 2005 or if they were on a system restore partition. He told me a system restore partition and there was no way to create a backup CD set. I got pretty pissed off and told him to cancel the order, that was unacceptable. After reading the info above and checking out notebookforums.com, it seems there is a program included that lets you make a backup CD set.

I am still debating whether or not to re-order the laptop or give Dell a big F-U.

ouch, and if you do reorder you will have to wait like 3 weeks to get the order again. I am hating dell right now too.

the reason it is taking so long is because of all the people sending there stuff back and re-ordering etc.

So why is everyone so pissed off dell doesn't give you a backup CD? With all the savings that you are getting for the laptop, you can always go and purchase a retail version of windows anyways and still have money in your pocket. Don't be so freaking greedy guys.

gizo said:
So why is everyone so pissed off dell doesn't give you a backup CD? With all the savings that you are getting for the laptop, you can always go and purchase a retail version of windows anyways and still have money in your pocket. Don't be so freaking greedy guys.

Because I paid for a liscense of the OS, and they just installed the OS, instead of providing the media/etc. I paid for it already, I don't want to pay for it again.

It used to be a requirement that not only you get the restore cd's, but a copy of the OS cd, the manual, and the cert. of auth, etc. Now they were just doing resotre + Cert, but going so far as to not give me an OS disk at all is bull.

Well, used to have to pay $400 for a 20MB HD, and $.10 for a coke. I demand that we pay $400 for a 20MB HD and that coca cola sells us $.10 bottles of coke again!

<shrug> things change, companies are downsizing, jobs are being outsourced, u just saved $850 on your laptop purchase, I'm sure you can deal with the inconvenience of pop in a 50 cent disc and make a copy of your o/s...

On a slightly related note -- MY I9300 came with an XP disc. :D

cheers,

yass

lopoetve said:
Because I paid for a liscense of the OS, and they just installed the OS, instead of providing the media/etc. I paid for it already, I don't want to pay for it again.

It used to be a requirement that not only you get the restore cd's, but a copy of the OS cd, the manual, and the cert. of auth, etc. Now they were just doing resotre + Cert, but going so far as to not give me an OS disk at all is bull.

Yassarian said:
Well, used to have to pay $400 for a 20MB HD, and $.10 for a coke. I demand that we pay $400 for a 20MB HD and that coca cola sells us $.10 bottles of coke again!

<shrug> things change, companies are downsizing, jobs are being outsourced, u just saved $850 on your laptop purchase, I'm sure you can deal with the inconvenience of pop in a 50 cent disc and make a copy of your o/s...

cheers,

yass

You're comparing apples and oranges. One is price changes. the other is the fact that I PAID for an os, and didn't get one. I had one preinstalled, no disk, no liscense certificate, nothing but a preinstalled image. That's cheap BS, media versions of the os only cost $10-15, and the liscense is the expensive part.

gizo said:

I'm pretty sure they're pissed because they paid for the OS.

can't you just find out your key and that would let you install over and over using the key that was installed when purchased?

Has anyone here bought a video game recently???
Has anyone here bought a video game 7 years ago???

7 Years ago, a game off the shelf came with a nice Big box with hand drawn art work, a nice plastic cd cover for all the cds it came with, and a nice thick 70-100 page manual. All for $50 bux.

Today, a game off the shelf comes with a smaller box and computer generated art work, a paper cd cover for the cds or dvd it comes with. and a 30 page manual if you're lucky. All for the same price of $50 bux.

Times change, packaging changes too. Don't be an old goat.
You still have the restore files which dell gave you and you can make backups with them using your own cd that is worth 50 cents. If you're bishing about the 50 cents, you have more problems to worry about like selling your laptop cause you really can't afford it. And no, it's not about the principle of the matter. It's about simple economics. You pay less there for you are entitled to less.

I guess I'm still not getting the hostility...

I mean, u paid for the license of the O/S, u get a key, u get a disc image -- basically, that IS the O/S. Before, you were able to get it in a nice package w/ a printed manual and a stack of disc. Now you get all the images on the HD. It's not like you DIDN'T get the O/S and they defrauded you or anything. TIMES CHANGE, MEDIA CHANGE. Deal.

Dell never said they'd give you the RETAIL BOX of WinXP or whatever, if they said that and all I got was an image, i'd be upset.

It just seems ppl are needlessly whining because they didn't get things their way, Dell simply gave u exactly what's required, nothing more, nothing less. You have a legit image of winXP with a key, you can choose to burn it to your own disc if you want, just because you didn't get a disc, doesn't mean that you didn't get the program!

cheers,

yass

Im not sure about this, but if you *cough* found a copy of the XP disc *cough* you do have a legal liscense to install it on a single machine...

Timmay!!! said:
can't you just find out your key and that would let you install over and over using the key that was installed when purchased?

We have the key. We have no liscense certificate, no media copy, and none of the rest of the stuff that normally comes with it.

gizo said:
Has anyone here bought a video game recently???
Has anyone here bought a video game 7 years ago???

7 Years ago, a game off the shelf came with a nice Big box with hand drawn art work, a nice plastic cd cover for all the cds it came with, and a nice thick 70-100 page manual. All for $50 bux.

Today, a game off the shelf comes with a smaller box and computer generated art work, a paper cd cover for the cds or dvd it comes with. and a 30 page manual if you're lucky. All for the same price of $50 bux.

Times change, packaging changes too. Don't be an old goat.
You still have the restore files which dell gave you and you can make backups with them using your own cd that is worth 50 cents. If you're bishing about the 50 cents, you have more problems to worry about like selling your laptop cause you really can't afford it. And no, it's not about the principle of the matter. It's about simple economics. You pay less there for you are entitled to less.

Games now SILL come with all of that, if you purchase the right games. I haven't bought any that come with a paper cd slip, all of mine come with jewel cases, manuals, etc.

I am hardly an old goat, I just want what I paid for, and allowing companies to get away with stiffing people just because 'times change' is complete and utter bullshit. Period. I didn't complain about Steam for HL2, I chose to get it in a downloadable form. I did not chose to get my OS in that form.

Yes, I can make a backup, on a CDR that will last all of a few years at best and has a good chance of degrading.

The simple point is this: I paid for the OS, and I didn't get it. I purchased one thing and got another, and to me and a lot of other people, that is simply not acceptable.

Yassarian said:
I guess I'm still not getting the hostility...

I mean, u paid for the license of the O/S, u get a key, u get a disc image -- basically, that IS the O/S. Before, you were able to get it in a nice package w/ a printed manual and a stack of disc. Now you get all the images on the HD. It's not like you DIDN'T get the O/S and they defrauded you or anything. TIMES CHANGE, MEDIA CHANGE. Deal.

Dell never said they'd give you the RETAIL BOX of WinXP or whatever, if they said that and all I got was an image, i'd be upset.

It just seems ppl are needlessly whining because they didn't get things their way, Dell simply gave u exactly what's required, nothing more, nothing less. You have a legit image of winXP with a key, you can choose to burn it to your own disc if you want, just because you didn't get a disc, doesn't mean that you didn't get the program!

cheers,

yass

You all just totally fail to get it... you accept companies screwing you over simply because times have changed...

A key and a disc image is not the OS. There is a lot more to it than that. Dell said I paid for that OS, and I want what I paid for, not some hard drive space stolen, a cheap CDR, with no certificate or anything else. I don't even know if the copy they installed is fully liscensed, since I don't have the certificate I'm supposed to get that says so.

People are complaining because we paid for the full OS. The XP Home option, if you had it set to allow other options (like RH linux), costs money, and you see that cost. I paid for it, I want my OS the way I paid for it so I can fully set this system the way I want. As it is, I'm stuck relying on a CDR I don't trust, no certificate, and a partition that I have to decide how I want to adjust. :(

lopoetve said:
We have the key. We have no liscense certificate, no media copy, and none of the rest of the stuff that normally comes with it.

When you buy software, you aren't obligated to a hard media copy. Software is not tangilble, it is all digital data.

1) First example, when you purchase a MSDN license, you don't get a physical license for every software that is available on the MSDN download list. It is stipulated in the purchase contract and EULA of how many copies you can use at any one time. You can opt for a set of hard copy MSDN software, but you need to pay for the DVD's they send you.
2) Second example, The apple store sells songs and albums via iTunes, a virtual store. Once you download the music on to your hard drive, the song is signed to your copy of iTunes. You don't get a hard copy of the song or album mailed to you after you purchase it. You can opt to burn it on to CD through iTunes though using your own media.

lopoetve said:
Games now SILL come with all of that, if you purchase the right games. I haven't bought any that come with a paper cd slip, all of mine come with jewel cases, manuals, etc.

Here, you are saying if you are selective in the games you buy, you might be able to get the same amount of bundled material as any game sold 7 years ago? Notice how you need to be selective about the games you buy in order to get the same amount. When I bought Far Cry and Star Wars Battleground, both of which are popular games, neither of them came with a 70 page manual and all the disc were sheathed in paper envelopes. But guess what, I paid less for them now then I did 7 years ago too. I really don't mind getting less if what I'm missing out does not hinder the product in any way.

lopoetve said:
I am hardly an old goat, I just want what I paid for, and allowing companies to get away with stiffing people just because 'times change' is complete and utter bullshit. Period. I didn't complain about Steam for HL2, I chose to get it in a downloadable form. I did not chose to get my OS in that form.

Look, if you chose to buy HL2 for Steam, then you can also choose not to buy a Dell laptop that does not come bundled with a hard copy of Windows. No one is forcing you to do anything. If you bought your laptop already, and you don't like this particular decision by Dell, then by all means, return your laptop. In fact, any one can return their laptop for the same reason. But why won't people do it? because the laptop is freaking cheap no matter how you look at it.

No where on their laptop customize form does it say that they are bundling you with a retail version of Windows. Every computer manufacturer bundles with an OEM version of Windows whether it be a hard copy or soft copy. You are just making a false assumption that software = hard copy.

lopoetve said:
Yes, I can make a backup, on a CDR that will last all of a few years at best and has a good chance of degrading.

I have a CDR here that I made back in 1995 and it still works great. CDRs last as long as CDs if you don't scratch it and put it away from heat or direct sunlight.

lopoetve said:
The simple point is this: I paid for the OS, and I didn't get it. I purchased one thing and got another, and to me and a lot of other people, that is simply not acceptable.

No, you purchased an OEM version of Window and not a Retail version of Window so it might not come with a hard copy. In your case, it didn't.

This is the same thing as purchasing an OEM version of a CPU, you don't get the pretty packaging and heatsink.

You just didn't know what you were buying. Simple as that.

lopoetve said:
You all just totally fail to get it... you accept companies screwing you over simply because times have changed...

If a company is screwing me over, I would get angry and pissy about it just like what you are doing right now. But in your case, it's just misinformation.

lopoetve said:
A key and a disc image is not the OS. There is a lot more to it than that. Dell said I paid for that OS, and I want what I paid for, not some hard drive space stolen, a cheap CDR, with no certificate or anything else. I don't even know if the copy they installed is fully liscensed, since I don't have the certificate I'm supposed to get that says so.

Every computer manufacturer partitions a space from your hard drive for system restore. This has been around since the late 90's. If you can't handle 4GB of space allotted for this cause, then you can return you laptop, or just make yourself a back up copy of windows and repartition the hard drive.

I personally suggest you return your purchase just because you're unhappy with it. If it was me, and I paid 1k+ for something to bish about, I sure as hell would of gone the same route of returning.

gizo said:
When you buy software, you aren't obligated to a hard media copy. Software is not tangilble, it is all digital data.

1) First example, when you purchase a MSDN license, you don't get a physical license for every software that is available on the MSDN download list. It is stipulated in the purchase contract and EULA of how many copies you can use at any one time. You can opt for a set of hard copy MSDN software, but you need to pay for the DVD's they send you.
2) Second example, The apple store sells songs and albums via iTunes, a virtual store. Once you download the music on to your hard drive, the song is signed to your copy of iTunes. You don't get a hard copy of the song or album mailed to you after you purchase it. You can opt to burn it on to CD through iTunes though using your own media.

MSDN is not at all like what we are discussing. A developers liscense for everything is a liscense for everything. You have ONE physical liscense that lists all the liscenses that it holds. I have several from the past. And they give you the option of the DVD's, which I always choose.

Songs are not at all like software. Sorry.

Here, you are saying if you are selective in the games you buy, you might be able to get the same amount of bundled material as any game sold 7 years ago? Notice how you need to be selective about the games you buy in order to get the same amount. When I bought Far Cry and Star Wars Battleground, both of which are popular games, neither of them came with a 70 page manual and all the disc were sheathed in paper envelopes. But guess what, I paid less for them now then I did 7 years ago too. I really don't mind getting less if what I'm missing out does not hinder the product in any way.

Actually, most major games 7 years ago (98) cost $50, the same as they do today. And you got gypped on Battlegrounds, because mine had a jewel case. I'm guessing bargin bin shopping, which I don't count ;)

Just because some companies (and people) settle for mediocrity does not mean I should, or have, to. I buy software all the time that has manuals well over 100 pages, and I pay no more than normal for said software. There is no excuse. Even decent expansions like ROE and WCIII FT came with jewel cases and some form of manual.
Look, if you chose to buy HL2 for Steam, then you can also choose not to buy a Dell laptop that does not come bundled with a hard copy of Windows. No one is forcing you to do anything. If you bought your laptop already, and you don't like this particular decision by Dell, then by all means, return your laptop. In fact, any one can return their laptop for the same reason. But why won't people do it? because the laptop is freaking cheap no matter how you look at it.
Every dell laptop I have purchased over the past several years, numbering around 25, has had a hard copy of the software and the liscense agreement. Dell gave no warning that they were changing this.

You're allowing dell to get away with cutting corners on us just because they gave you a good deal. You are accepting mediocrity because it's cheap and easy to do so. I don't believe in letting things go that easy. I for one am insisting that they give me what I paid for.
No where on their laptop customize form does it say that they are bundling you with a retail version of Windows. Every computer manufacturer bundles with an OEM version of Windows whether it be a hard copy or soft copy. You are just making a false assumption that software = hard copy.
No. Punch it up through small business on the phone, (or through your tech contacts there if you have one, although they just may be a government option) and go through the full OS kit (including linux). You pay $99 for that install of XP home, same as a full copy. You pay for it, why don't you get it? You get it when you select server2003 for the os, or linux (since their install partition BS doesn't work then), but XP they cheat ya.
I have a CDR here that I made back in 1995 and it still works great. CDRs last as long as CDs if you don't scratch it and put it away from heat or direct sunlight.
While mostly true, even slight exposure to sunlight can start breaking down the dye in a CDR, and you are a lot more likely to get a defective CDR than a defective metal pressed disk. I've had CDR's last years, and I've had a few that went bad after only a few months (in a temperature controlled/humidity controlled environment, at work we back up in triplicate for this reason).
No, you purchased an OEM version of Window and not a Retail version of Window so it might not come with a hard copy. In your case, it didn't.

This is the same thing as purchasing an OEM version of a CPU, you don't get the pretty packaging and heatsink.

You just didn't know what you were buying. Simple as that.
Yeah, I didn't. Because they changed it without telling anyone, and I still paid for the same thing I paid for every time before.
If a company is screwing me over, I would get angry and pissy about it just like what you are doing right now. But in your case, it's just misinformation.
No, it's your not having used their products as much as I have, and not having experience with what they used to do over and over again.
Every computer manufacturer partitions a space from your hard drive for system restore. This has been around since the late 90's. If you can't handle 4GB of space allotted for this cause, then you can return you laptop, or just make yourself a back up copy of windows and repartition the hard drive.
Emachines does not. Neither does Apple. Or most Dells for the past 5 years. Nor Acer. Nor sager. Neither Gateway.

only HP, compaq, and now dell do this shoddy practice. Care to try again?
I personally suggest you return your purchase just because you're unhappy with it. If it was me, and I paid 1k+ for something to bish about, I sure as hell would of gone the same route of returning.

I don't bitch about the product, I bitch about them changing a business practice in what I see as an unscrupulous and rediculous way without informing people. If they're not going to give me media, why am I paying the same amount for the OS?

I don't return products unless it's defective. I make them make it right.

Anyway, it appears that you're willing to accept anything a company does, so long as they give you a 'good deal'. I am not.

lopoetve said:

People are complaining because we paid for the full OS. The XP Home option, if you had it set to allow other options (like RH linux), costs money, and you see that cost. I paid for it, I want my OS the way I paid for it so I can fully set this system the way I want. As it is, I'm stuck relying on a CDR I don't trust, no certificate, and a partition that I have to decide how I want to adjust. :(

Oh ok I got it now, so the key and the CD isn't enough, but if you got a shiny holographical "certificate" then THAT would make ya all happy right? lol HD space stolen? Whoa Dell stole the HD space!!! Somebody call teh HD police! This isn't Burger King, you don't get it YOUR way -- nobody is twisting your arms to buy Dell, It's kinda pathetic to jump on the $850 discount, and then bitch about how Dell shortchanged you because you didn't get a hard copy.

Like I said before -- Dell didn't say they would give you a RETAIL COPY, got it? geez, the whining is incredible...

Plus I also don't think you looked closely enough in the enclosed box -- cuz I certainly did get a holographic "certificate of authenticity" thing w/ my I9300. In fact, EVERY DELL computer that I've ordered in the past, comes with an MS certificate. True they may not all have the CD, but I don't think Dell is in the business to defraud you, or worse, defraud Micro$oft.

cheers,

yass

no way in hell dell would sell a OEM copy of XP w/o the certificate. MS would slaughter them.

The past 5 dells I bought had my hd partitioned with the OS within the past 2 years. 4 of them came with the OS cds, and 1 of them did not.

I bought 2 fujitsu laptop, 3 dell desktop, and 1 compaq and all of them had the hd partitioned with the system restore on it.

The MS certificate isn't needed to certify that you have the official copy of windows. You can also certify your copy of windows by having a dell receipt since dell associate all it's product in a catalog of what you bought. This in fact is more useful since Dell can guarantee the serial number it gave you. The MS certificates can be forged in China pretty easily

lopoetve said:
MSDN is not at all like what we are discussing. A developers liscense for everything is a liscense for everything. You have ONE physical liscense that lists all the liscenses that it holds. I have several from the past. And they give you the option of the DVD's, which I always choose.

Look and READ.. that is what I wrote you dumb@#$

gizo said:

A lot of games don't cost $50 any more lopoetv. Games cost less than that. I buy all my games at 37.99 when it first come out. 7 years ago, i don't remember any games discounting to 37.99 when it first came out. Heck, it didn't even discount until one year after.

lopoetv said:
Actually, most major games 7 years ago (98) cost $50, the same as they do today. And you got gypped on Battlegrounds, because mine had a jewel case. I'm guessing bargin bin shopping, which I don't count

Just because some companies (and people) settle for mediocrity does not mean I should, or have, to. I buy software all the time that has manuals well over 100 pages, and I pay no more than normal for said software. There is no excuse. Even decent expansions like ROE and WCIII FT came with jewel cases and some form of manual.

Once again, if you read what I wrote, I said that I don't feel gyped because I pay less for my games. And also, I was saying game manuals, not regular software manual. I can buy an OCR software right now with 150 page manual which also cost around 130 dollars. The point is you get what you pay for you greedy focker.

gizo said:
I really don't mind getting less if what I'm missing out does not hinder the product in any way.

Every dell laptop you bought probably didn't have a 750-800 discount either. Dell is cutting corner to cut on cost to save the end consumer you money! You're so damn short sighted. I'm not accepting mediocrity at all. I believe that you get what you pay for. And you didn't pay for a retail copy so you aren't entitled to it.

It's people like you that wants things cheap and wants everything that is pushing all of our jobs out of this country.

lopoetve said:
Every dell laptop I have purchased over the past several years, numbering around 25, has had a hard copy of the software and the liscense agreement. Dell gave no warning that they were changing this.

You're allowing dell to get away with cutting corners on us just because they gave you a good deal. You are accepting mediocrity because it's cheap and easy to do so. I don't believe in letting things go that easy. I for one am insisting that they give me what I paid for.

Hey, if you don't like the way dell is selling the laptop to you, go return it. Who do you think you are? GOD? Dell probably made at most a 50 dollar profit from you. They're making chump change on these deals. And I'm sure you never return anything unless it's defective. Cause we are all so perfect at picking what we purchase.

I don't bitch about the product, I bitch about them changing a business practice in what I see as an unscrupulous and rediculous way without informing people. If they're not going to give me media, why am I paying the same amount for the OS?

I don't return products unless it's defective. I make them make it right.

i'm sorry.. i'm sure this windows CD issue is important to many of us, myself included, but why not take it to a new thread where someone who posted a great review and took the time to show relevant information about this laptop wont be upset that this community decided to make his thread a bitching post.

I've always wondered, exactly how big (or small) is that "subwoofer"? Ever try NCH Tone test on it to see how low it goes?

Yassarian said:
Oh ok I got it now, so the key and the CD isn't enough, but if you got a shiny holographical "certificate" then THAT would make ya all happy right? lol HD space stolen? Whoa Dell stole the HD space!!! Somebody call teh HD police! This isn't Burger King, you don't get it YOUR way -- nobody is twisting your arms to buy Dell, It's kinda pathetic to jump on the $850 discount, and then bitch about how Dell shortchanged you because you didn't get a hard copy.

Like I said before -- Dell didn't say they would give you a RETAIL COPY, got it? geez, the whining is incredible...

Plus I also don't think you looked closely enough in the enclosed box -- cuz I certainly did get a holographic "certificate of authenticity" thing w/ my I9300. In fact, EVERY DELL computer that I've ordered in the past, comes with an MS certificate. True they may not all have the CD, but I don't think Dell is in the business to defraud you, or worse, defraud Micro$oft.

cheers,

yass

You better fucking believe it I get it my way. I get it my way or they don't get paid. Welcome to being a consumer, you have some power too.

And no, I got no certificate of authenticity. Just an insert that says I get no CD.

You all fail to get it. Thanks for accepting mediocrity and letting companies know that that sort of thing is just fine in the consumer's eye.

gizo said:
The past 5 dells I bought had my hd partitioned with the OS within the past 2 years. 4 of them came with the OS cds, and 1 of them did not.

I bought 2 fujitsu laptop, 3 dell desktop, and 1 compaq and all of them had the hd partitioned with the system restore on it.
I don't know what dells you were buying, but none of the 3 Ive gotten over the past year had a restore partition. Neither did the Toshiba I got 4 weeks ago for a company. Don't use any fujitsus, so I don't know there.
The MS certificate isn't needed to certify that you have the official copy of windows. You can also certify your copy of windows by having a dell receipt since dell associate all it's product in a catalog of what you bought. This in fact is more useful since Dell can guarantee the serial number it gave you. The MS certificates can be forged in China pretty easily
While this is true, I do like to keep a folder of them in case anyone ever accuses me of doing wrong. It's nice to have the security.
Look and READ.. that is what I wrote you dumb@#$
Watch the language. I have not insulted you, don't start with me.
A lot of games don't cost $50 any more lopoetv. Games cost less than that. I buy all my games at 37.99 when it first come out. 7 years ago, i don't remember any games discounting to 37.99 when it first came out. Heck, it didn't even discount until one year after.
Retail, on the shelf, they are still $50. Or more. Getting them from gogamer and being an informed consumer and not paying retail doesn't change the MSRP.
Once again, if you read what I wrote, I said that I don't feel gyped because I pay less for my games. And also, I was saying game manuals, not regular software manual. I can buy an OCR software right now with 150 page manual which also cost around 130 dollars. The point is you get what you pay for you greedy focker.
Greedy fucker eh? Going real well with maintaining your temper I see. If I pay for it, I expect to get what I paid for.
Every dell laptop you bought probably didn't have a 750-800 discount either. Dell is cutting corner to cut on cost to save the end consumer you money! You're so damn short sighted. I'm not accepting mediocrity at all. I believe that you get what you pay for. And you didn't pay for a retail copy so you aren't entitled to it.
So, because they discounted it, they get to take things out without telling people?
It's people like you that wants things cheap and wants everything that is pushing all of our jobs out of this country.
WTF. I think you need to check your logic here. I want what I pay for, nothing more

Hey, if you don't like the way dell is selling the laptop to you, go return it. Who do you think you are? GOD? Dell probably made at most a 50 dollar profit from you. They're making chump change on these deals. And I'm sure you never return anything unless it's defective. Cause we are all so perfect at picking what we purchase.

I am a paying consumer, who paid for a certain product, and expects to recieve just that, the product I paid for. If they can't afford to include what they are supposed to, then raise the price. Basic economics.

And no, generally I don't return things unless they're defective. I chose where I spend my money very carefully.

I'm done with this. You all just don't get what I'm saying, and I'm not going to sit here and start a flame war. I feel the way I do, and dell knows quite well about it now. Lets leave this guy's review alone.

Dell should include the CD's or pay me for the HD space they are "stealing" from me.

I paid for XP Home and I paid for an XX GB hard drive. I did not pay for XP Home permanently taking up space on my XX GB hard drive.

Simple as that.

Btw I'm fairly sure my 9300 won't come with CD's and I will call and get those CD's overnighted to me. And i'm not even going to use that XP Home. But If I paid for it I will also have the CD in my hands to do with as I please.

And to the guy complaining, a sub 1 dollar CD will not get your job shipped over seas. And the coupons/deals were OFFERED by Dell none of us forced them to offer it.

lopoetve said:
You better fucking believe it I get it my way. I get it my way or they don't get paid. Welcome to being a consumer, you have some power too.

<shrugg> Well ya got 21 days, feel free to return the laptop. You have the power to NOT buy it too, u know? I'm sure Dell misses your business, but I doubt Mr. Dell is gonna stay up all night brooding over it. lol If you REALLY miss it, call them up and they'll overnight a disc to you -- sheeesh, so much drama.

Anyway to get back on topic: I like my 9300 very much. I also saved almost $1000 using a stackable and 35% off on it. Anyone playing guildwar on it? How was the performance?

cheers,

yass

Hey guys, please refer to this thread for the missing CD issue.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=20&catid=24&threadid=460732

For the people that are complaining, it looks like you are complaining to the wrong company. You should be complaning to Microsoft since it is their decree to eliminate PC's manufacturers from shipping a physical disk of the OS.

The more experienced PC buyers on that site agrees that shipping the System Restore on a seperate partition has been part of the norm for a long time now. Just as what I've been saying. So this is how you will be seeing your new PCs in the future if you decide to buy from any of the big manufacturers. So sit tight and get used to it =)

On the upside, Dell most likely will send you a CD if you call within days of recieving your PC.

about this whole second partition thing... i dont really know much about partitions, but if i reformat my hard drive (after i try and get a cd from dell, if sucessful), will that second partition be gone and i get more space?

superlyduper said:
I've always wondered, exactly how big (or small) is that "subwoofer"? Ever try NCH Tone test on it to see how low it goes?
Its only about the size of one of those newer dollar coins, i'd esitimate ~ 1 1/4" dia all in all. I'll try running that prog on it for ya but its pretty much just to make the tones richer and take some of the low load off the other speakers so they can make clearer mids and highs. you wont "feel the bass" or anything. However it is quite nice imho as the sounds from the laptop are rarely "tinny" or high pitched as with most onboard/mobile speakers i've heard.

about this whole second partition thing... i dont really know much about partitions, but if i reformat my hard drive (after i try and get a cd from dell, if sucessful), will that second partition be gone and i get more space?
- you will have to use a partition utility to find and delete the "hidden" partition first, but then, you would be able to format and add that drivespace to your hdd as you please. - Not really highly recomneded unless you NEED that space - esp if you didnt get a windows cd.

kids, please, take the cd-wars elsewhere :mad:

I have a XP Home Cd that I bought for my home computer, I should just be able to use that and use the Cd-key Dell supplied me to reinstall Windows my own way right?

Since I will not need to reactivate since hardware was not changed.

UltimaParadox said:
I have a XP Home Cd that I bought for my home computer, I should just be able to use that and use the Cd-key Dell supplied me to reinstall Windows my own way right?

Since I will not need to reactivate since hardware was not changed.

Yes, you can install windows that way if you format your laptop. You will also need to log in to dell with your account and download the drivers available for your laptop. You will need to reactiviate windows after a fresh install because that is what is required after a fresh install.

Yassarian said:

cheers,

yass

The CD-R isn't an issue.

I don't need a CD/DVD burner on my laptop so I didn't get one. And I don't have restore CD's. Dell wants me to burn my own but the laptop I purchased doesn't have the capability.

I told them "In that case tell me how to make an image of a restore CD so I can make one and transfer it to my desktop and then burn it from there" and the rep said that is impossible. What do you suggest about that?

for all of you people wanting a dell restore cd, i called dell up and just got one for free. Wasnt hard, just asked for one. Said that I was going to upgrade the hard drive soon and needed one.

gizo said:
Hey guys, please refer to this thread for the missing CD issue.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=20&catid=24&threadid=460732

For the people that are complaining, it looks like you are complaining to the wrong company. You should be complaning to Microsoft since it is their decree to eliminate PC's manufacturers from shipping a physical disk of the OS.

The more experienced PC buyers on that site agrees that shipping the System Restore on a seperate partition has been part of the norm for a long time now. Just as what I've been saying. So this is how you will be seeing your new PCs in the future if you decide to buy from any of the big manufacturers. So sit tight and get used to it =)

On the upside, Dell most likely will send you a CD if you call within days of recieving your PC.

then I will complain to microsoft as well.

And I still say that most manufacturers don't do the restore partition. Only HP, compaq, Fujitsu, and now Dell, that I know of. All the other ones I've used recently, and they provide disk(s). Including Sony, who normally is stingy on stuff like that.

Korgun said:
The CD-R isn't an issue.

I don't need a CD/DVD burner on my laptop so I didn't get one. And I don't have restore CD's. Dell wants me to burn my own but the laptop I purchased doesn't have the capability.

I told them "In that case tell me how to make an image of a restore CD so I can make one and transfer it to my desktop and then burn it from there" and the rep said that is impossible. What do you suggest about that?

Bingo...

ToyYoda03 said:
for all of you people wanting a dell restore cd, i called dell up and just got one for free. Wasnt hard, just asked for one. Said that I was going to upgrade the hard drive soon and needed one.

KK.

lopoetve said:
Bingo...

KK.

Also, he did try to get me to burn a restore cd from my own computer, when he asked me to go into the start menu to the program's folder, I told him it was missing :D

and thus I got what i wanted :D

ToyYoda03 said:
when he asked me to go into the start menu to the program's folder, I told him it was missing :D

ROFL! nice one :D :D

- I used to do computer tech support -.- but thats a refreshingly amusing quote, one i haven't heard yet, at least. all my customers always had a Start > programs folder somewhere :eek:

superlyduper said:

- So I ran NCH tone test, my hearing isn't the best but it made a barely audible 60hz for me. I think the effective audible range, though not very intense, was about 70-75hz at the lowest for the "Subwoofer

ToyYoda03 said:
Also, he did try to get me to burn a restore cd from my own computer, when he asked me to go into the start menu to the program's folder, I told him it was missing :D

and thus I got what i wanted :D

Brilliant :D

Back