Insignia 4k 43" Roku + HDMI 4:4:4 (Cheap and 4:4:4)

Wow that looks terrible. I'm looking for a budget TV to put in the living room (50 inch) and I was considering this tv (well the 50inch model), Vizio E50-C1, or Vizio D50u-d1. (streaming tv shows and watching blurays mainly, with gaming being secondary). I had been strongly leaning toward the Insignia since the roku box is built in (I'm not the only user for simplicity is a nice bonus) but I keep hearing folks are kind of down on it. :(

For watching content it looks very purdy :p

Can one of you try 120hz at 1080p with a custom resolution and see if it'll work without frame-skipping?

I am not able to set a custom resolution using 120hz. I tried both 1080p and 720p. At 60hz there is no frame skipping though.

So it looks like my local store finally has these in stock. Has anyone else picked one up recently?

Honestly, I am a bit confused. I do not wish to go back and re-read everything but I thought someone said some of the games looked good, video looked fantastic, desktop was perfect. I am probably ad libbing here a bit / guessing and or reading into this situation but, still.

Plus we've not had any latency tests. Or have we?

Maybe the majority at large considers this case closed.

I'm ok with a few negatives. Just wish we had more information.

Honestly, I am a bit confused. I do not wish to go back and re-read everything but I thought someone said some of the games looked good, video looked fantastic, desktop was perfect. I am probably ad libbing here a bit / guessing and or reading into this situation but, still.

Plus we've not had any latency tests. Or have we?

Maybe the majority at large considers this case closed.

I'm ok with a few negatives. Just wish we had more information.

To sum it up... Look at the pics I posted. Some games look bad, some good. It has a problem with grays and horizontal lines have weird artifacts. I would stay away as a monitor tbh. Mine is going back tomorrow or Friday

From the games I have tested I have not had any issues. I have not ran into any issues with lag either, but I have not done a lag test to verify numbers. The games I have played are World of Warcraft, Diablo III, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Killer Instinct, Fallout 4, The Division, XCOM 2, Mortal Kombat X, and Witcher 3.

Edited: Also forgot Elder Scrolls Online.

From the games I have tested I have not had any issues. I have not ran into any issues with lag either, but I have not done a lag test to verify numbers. The games I have played are World of Warcraft, Diablo III, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Killer Instinct, Fallout 4, The Division, XCOM 2, Mortal Kombat X, and Witcher 3.

Edited: Also forgot Elder Scrolls Online.

That's a diverse list. And you've never seen any thing like what Digital Viper-X- 's photos show?

TW3 looks fine on mine as well, so far just black desert online is bad. Still as far as desktop goes... the problem with horizontal lines and grays kill it for me.

Yea same here vertical and horizontal lines and desktop mode looks bad, i returned it and compare to the Sceptre 4k 43in look better in desktop mode then the insignia 43in 4K tv. Now im looking at getting the Sony XBR43X830C $699 or the Samsung UN40JU6500 $599 im going to be using it as a Pc monitor and i have a gtx970 to use one of them in 4K mode

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought one from Best Buy, with a EVGA GTX 970. Hooked it up, set to HDMI 2.0. In general it looks good with all the screen real estate.

I also noticed the "textile" in lots of colors. Also, small text doesn't look as smooth. Bigger one (>125-150% zoom) looks great.

I'm a newbie so I was wondering if there's any link/instruction on how to test/check everything I should be checking for a 4K TV using as a monitor? Or if anyone wants me to test any particular thing, I'll try to do it before returning it. I don't play games though.

I think I'm gonna try to get the 48JS9000 at the clearance price. BTW, is Adorama on eBay the only one has the lowest price right now? I missed their sale last week when it was only $1139 or something.

Thanks.

So, the TV went back today.. and they finally had it up on display, next to both samsung and vizio 4k units, and when comparing this unit to both of those, I can instantly see an almost green mesh over the entire picture, if I didn't have the other 2 to compare to, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Also the 50" version seems to have the same artifacts.

Last edited:
As much as I really wanted this TV to work out as a monitor, I"m going to pass on it. I've decided to try the Korean monitor route again as my dual 27" Shimians have been great over the last few years. Currently have a 40" 4K Wasabi Mango UHD400 on order, and should be here in a couple of days.

Wasabi Mango...lol...

I would very seriously reconsider purchasing a Korean monitor. Why? The number one monitor that gets the most complaints and horror stories is a Korean monitor.

There are some fantastic options out there that you could look into,

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I would very seriously reconsider purchasing a Korean monitor. Why? The number one monitor that gets the most complaints and horror stories is a Korean monitor.

There are some fantastic options out there that you could look into,

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Would be too late to reconsider. It's already purchased and on a plane as we speak. :D

As I said above though, I currently run two 27" Korean monitors, and they have been perfect for almost 3 years now. This particular seller also has over 21k feed back over 99%. Hopefully no issues!

The mango is way too much for a korean off-brand unit, the Samsung is cheaper even .

The Samsung 6400? According to RTINGS the judder is absolutely horrendous and it doesn't do 4:4:4 @ 60Hz.

Went with the Mango because:
  • 4:4:4 @ 60Hz
  • 10 bit panel (although may be 8 bit with dithering...Nvidia picks it up as 10 bit)
  • Low lag, 5ms GTG
  • Freesync enabled in firmware
  • VGA port (I know most people don't need a VGA port anymore, but I was still looking for one as I have a Saturn and Dreamcast running through VGA. Kills the need for another monitor).
  • PIP, PBP (Again, may not be useful for many people, but I find it handy)
  • PWM - flicker free.
Anyway, it just seems to me that most of the televisions coming out aren't quite there yet for use as a monitor. The only other one I still had hopes for was the Vizio M class, but figured it would probably be around the same price. Additionally, the larger sized Mangos seem to be getting great reviews, and I've had great luck with two Korean panels already. Anyway, I'm not trying to persuade or dissuade anyone from buying a Korean panel. Just reporting back.

The Samsung 6400? According to RTINGS the judder is absolutely horrendous and it doesn't do 4:4:4 @ 60Hz.

• 10 bit panel (although may be 8 bit with dithering...Nvidia picks it up as 10 bit)
  • Low lag, 5ms GTG
  • VGA port (I know most people don't need a VGA port anymore, but I was still looking for one as I have a Saturn and Dreamcast running through VGA. Kills the need for another monitor).
  • PWM - flicker free.
Anyway, it just seems to me that most of the televisions coming out aren't quite there yet for use as a monitor. The only other one I still had hopes for was the Vizio M class, but figured it would probably be around the same price. Additionally, the larger sized Mangos seem to be getting great reviews, and I've had great luck with two Korean panels already. Anyway, I'm not trying to persuade or dissuade anyone from buying a Korean panel. Just reporting back.

Where did you purchase yours from? Do these have warranties? What's the return/exchange policy?

EDIT: And once you receive yours, please start a thread here and provide a review for others.

Last edited:
Where did you purchase yours from? Do these have warranties? What's the return/exchange policy?

EDIT: And once you receive yours, please start a thread here and provide a review for others.

Here is the seller I purchased from:

WASABI MANGO UHD400 REAL 4K HDMI 2.0 40" Samsung PVA Panel UHD 3840x2160 Monitor

30 day return/exchange window (0-3 dead pixel policy), 1 year warranty against manufacturer issues. I may pick up a SquareTrade warranty for $54.99.

Sure, I can start a thread after everything is set up.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is the seller I purchased from:

WASABI MANGO UHD400 REAL 4K HDMI 2.0 40" Samsung PVA Panel UHD 3840x2160 Monitor

30 day return/exchange window (0-3 dead pixel policy), 1 year warranty against manufacturer issues. I may pick up a SquareTrade warranty for $54.99.

Sure, I can start a thread after everything is set up.

Thanks! I'm particularly interested to see if it's actually PWM-free. This thread seems to indicate it uses PWM at 250Hz, which is horrible for anyone sensitive to PWM. But, the specs specifically list "flicker free" so I'm confused.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

• Low lag, 5ms GTG
  • PWM - flicker free.

No, the UN40JU6500

:p
i enjoyed my Shimian 27" as well, where else are you going to get a glossy 27" 1440p display for $280 shipped( 4 years ago!)

The korean panels were my first go to for 4K as well, but the price was too high for me to justify it, when there are better options ( for me ) for cheaper or the same price.

No, the UN40JU6500

:p
i enjoyed my Shimian 27" as well, where else are you going to get a glossy 27" 1440p display for $280 shipped( 4 years ago!)

The korean panels were my first go to for 4K as well, but the price was too high for me to justify it, when there are better options ( for me ) for cheaper or the same price.

Fair enough, but it looks like the judder issue is still present in the 6500, and the Mango has a Samsung panel in it as well. BTW I definitely did look into it, but I didn't see one for less than $650 currently. :D

Fair enough, but it looks like the judder issue is still present in the 6500, and the Mango has a Samsung panel in it as well. BTW I definitely did look into it, but I didn't see one for less than $650 currently. :D

How much did you end up paying for the Mango? also, can you link me to this judder issue ?

How much did you end up paying for the Mango? also, can you link me to this judder issue ?

$569 with free shipping. Ebay link was posted above.

Regarding the 6500, here is the RTINGS review: Samsung JU6500 Review (UN40JU6500, UN48JU6500, UN50JU6500, UN55JU6500, UN60JU6500, UN65JU6500, UN75JU6500)

4K.com review (final thoughts about judder at the end): Samsung JU6500 Review - UN55JU6500, UN50JU6500, UN65JU6500, UN40JU6500, UN48JU6500, UN60JU6500, UN75JU6500

Basically it has a hard time doing 3:2 pulldown on 24p sources.

$569 with free shipping. Ebay link was posted above.

Regarding the 6500, here is the RTINGS review: Samsung JU6500 Review (UN40JU6500, UN48JU6500, UN50JU6500, UN55JU6500, UN60JU6500, UN65JU6500, UN75JU6500)

4K.com review (final thoughts about judder at the end): Samsung JU6500 Review - UN55JU6500, UN50JU6500, UN65JU6500, UN40JU6500, UN48JU6500, UN60JU6500, UN75JU6500

Basically it has a hard time doing 3:2 pulldown on 24p sources.

Ahh, that's not bad at all, please let me know how you like it :) I still haven't decided which to go with. They're both very close in price locally, and the samsung does go on sale now and then.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm particularly interested to see if it's actually PWM-free. This thread seems to indicate it uses PWM at 250Hz, which is horrible for anyone sensitive to PWM. But, the specs specifically list "flicker free" so I'm confused.
That's me posting there. I don't have special tools, just did the line method described by tftcentral. That's how I got the 250Hz. If you search for UHD400 on youtube, one freesync test video has the flickering visible too. There are however some korean videos with no flicker. Either they have the brightness at 100% when filming, or I just have a bad control board or something (however unlikely that may be).
Other than that the display is good. No glow like on some IPS panels I've seen lately. Will get a X-Rite ColorMunki Display later this week and see how well I can match the colors to my Dell U2713HM.
Any questions or tests I can make while I can? (in the extreme possibility I have to send it back)

I was one of the original people to buy the Samsung JUxxx for monitor use.

The 6400 is a cut down version released several months after the JU6500 and has many missing features. Avoid like the plague.

The best versions out is the 7100 - 7500 - 8500 and 9000 I think.

The JU6500 is the cheapest of all of the line and supports UHD / 4:4:4 @ 60hz

To the group here I just picked up two of these monitors from the local best buy for $350 on sale. My wife was exicted and asked me to change out her Seiki 42" that I had gotten her about 4 months ago from Hgregg. She liked the Seiki but it was wonky on the netflix, but overall great as a 4k 60hz monitor even if it is, according to reports 4:2:2. I run a Samsung 50" JU6500 at 4k, 60hz 4:4:4 and I have another LG 50" at the same on another workers computer. So I know a bit about running 4k 60hz 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 and the set up needed.

Anyways I don't care what other people are saying on here the 43" 4k Insignia LOOKS LIKE CRAP as a computer monitor. STAY AWAY!!! The other three displays look way better. I got the Seiki for $225, the Samsung for $450 (yes awesome deal) and the LG for $450 (they are all much more than that now).

The problem with the insignia is it looks dithered. The other three displays are nice and smooth the BB monitor just looks horrible.

Now perhaps there is some setting I have missed, but has to be on the TV side,,,, so I am going to give it a day or two before I return these units.

The picture shows the samsung up top and the Insignia below.

Ok just played with the settings and I have to say running the other monitors at 1080p look better than the Insignia. Its super dithered.

Attachments

• compare.png
    compare.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:
To the group here I just picked up two of these monitors from the local best buy for $350 on sale. My wife was exicted and asked me to change out her Seiki 42" that I had gotten her about 4 months ago from Hgregg. She liked the Seiki but it was wonky on the netflix, but overall great as a 4k 60hz monitor even if it is, according to reports 4:2:2. I run a Samsung 50" JU6500 at 4k, 60hz 4:4:4 and I have another LG 50" at the same on another workers computer. So I know a bit about running 4k 60hz 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 and the set up needed.

Anyways I don't care what other people are saying on here the 43" 4k Insignia LOOKS LIKE CRAP as a computer monitor. STAY AWAY!!! The other three displays look way better. I got the Seiki for $225, the Samsung for $450 (yes awesome deal) and the LG for $450 (they are all much more than that now).

The problem with the insignia is it looks dithered. The other three displays are nice and smooth the BB monitor just looks horrible.

Now perhaps there is some setting I have missed, but has to be on the TV side,,,, so I am going to give it a day or two before I return these units.

Ok just played with the settings and I have to say running the other monitors at 1080p look better than the Insignia. Its super dithered.

Yup, pretty much what I was seeing, some pixels are just super bright and make it look weird, like a screen door effect.

Bummer. I'm assuming the "LOOKS LIKE CRAP" applies to both 4k and 1080p? I saw someone posted a review on Best Buy's site that was pretty favorable with regards to using this as a 4k monitor so I've been tempted to pick one up at this price.

Yep, I had high hopes for this monitor, but when I saw the dithering in the screencaps I decided against it. A shame too as the $350 price point is awesome. I'm sure that these look great at viewing 4k media, just doesn't cut it for computer work.

The Vizio E series just came out in a 43" size. Haven't seen any reviews on it though. The M series doesn't have a 43" entry this year. 50" is the smallest.

The Wasabi Mango UHD400 that I purchased off of Ebay still looks fantastic. It was more expensive at $569, but so far has been well worth it.

Bummer. I'm assuming the "LOOKS LIKE CRAP" applies to both 4k and 1080p? I saw someone posted a review on Best Buy's site that was pretty favorable with regards to using this as a 4k monitor so I've been tempted to pick one up at this price.

I read those same reports so went and bought two of these. This one of those cases it looks so bad its not even a good 1080p set. I just tried it in 1080p and you still see the screen door effect or dither. The result is the ext is very hard to read due to jagged edges. All the solid colors have a noticeable pattern to them, no good blending of colors. I added two pictures of the same image from a samsung and a insignia. The Samsung, seiki, and LG all look the same, nice smooth colors, clear looking edges, then there is the insignia that look worse than my 8 year old LCD tv. Also I have tweaked the computer and screen setting to greatly improve the image on the Insignia (where as the Samsung was straight) and it still looks bad. Really hard on the eyes.

Again this is a tv I say check out in the store hooked to a computer before buying.

Please please if anyone else has this tv and you think it's just an isolated issue, let me know, I much rather swap it then having to wait for another good deal.

Attachments

• insignia.JPG
    insignia.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 211
  • samsung.JPG
    samsung.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I just returned mine this morning. Pretty much similar reasons.

Now I have to spend much more for a js9000 :)

Hi All,

New member here. Been lurking for a while.... (this forum convinced to buy a Sammy 4K)

Have a couple of 4k monitors:

Seiki 39" 4K at 30Hz (The original paid like $300)

I ended up buying a Samsung JU6700 40" maybe 9 months ago for using at work for writing code and doing CAE work. (Paid $850 for this +200 for 4G 960 Card). Absolutely worth every penny. The curve is awesome up close. I dont see any PWN flicker or have any eye strain after stairing at long hours at work.

So I bought the 55" 4K Insignia and here are my thoughts:

1080P Video looks horrid out of the box. Scaler on this TV is awful. The whole screen appears dithered and screen doored. Turning sharpness down to 0 helps a lot but it still looks poor at a 1080P source. My 50" Panny plasma looks way batter by comparison.

Native 4K video still has this dithered look. 4K youtube like the costa rica stuff look only OK. Far worse than the Seki or the Samsung using the same content. The pictures you posted show the dithering issure really well. The crappy video scaling on top of that makes this thing a POS.

Native Roku OS is cool. SW quality is buggy. I crashed it over 6 times just exploring apps. TV hung in some app and needed a hard reboot (pull the cord).

All in all not worth it. The Seiki looks way better than the Insignia and the Samsung is another league compared to either of these sets but I would take a Seiki any day over this thing.

Torn between a Sony 810C or a New Vizio M Series to replace it. primarily for TV

Rufrothy
Silicon Valley, CA

That looks like a Pentile display. It's usually only an issue when viewed way too close up though.

Back