Inside The Foxconn Dorms

Granted these conditions are not great. Considering how bad American workers including children had it during the Industrial Revolution this is way better. It takes a while for labor forces to organize into a group that has the ability to influence industry practices.

That being said the problem stems from the huge population of surplus laborers. The governmental practices don't help either, and I would assume that the lack of infrastructure hampers the ability of labor groups to form a cohesive organization.

Hopefully in time things will get better for the workers, but then the prices will go up. And if we have learned from the history of the American manufacturing companies its that the jobs will move over seas where labor is much cheaper.

gg free market economics.
It takes even longer for workers to organize when the government would see it as a democratic ploy to overthrow the government.

Take about the same size room make it only 2 bunk beds fill it with desks and dressers and we have my shitty drom from when i was a 1st year a college. California colleges are so crowed T_T

One more reason to run out and buy the latest 'i' device.

Or motherboard. Or just about ANYTHING computer related, my friend. Go troll somewhere else, or read a book. Either would do us all good.

That place is honestly on par with the room I received for my Freshman year at University of Toronto. That place was a fucking pigsty, with about the same amount of bed padding. I fucking wish I was joking.

Believe it or not, a lot of Chinese sleep without mattresses.

By their standards those quarters are pretty decent and actually around the size if not bigger than the usual student dorm at a Chinese university.

People shouldn't be comparing their life style and conditions with ours in North America rather to compare with the average Chinese home and you know what? It's no different! There are far worse housing in China!

I doubt any of the people there are happy with their conditions.

I grew in China. Just because you are surrounded by poor conditions does not mean you are happy with your own situation.

I dont want to give the impression that I think China has poor living conditions only. As a matter of fact many people in China live in great living conditions, even for US standards.

I breaks my heart to see that many people still have to live in substandard situations so that a few can make fortunes.

People shouldn't be comparing their life style and conditions with ours in North America rather to compare with the average Chinese home and you know what? It's no different! There are far worse housing in China!

Detroit
298868_Slums-of-Detroit_jpg6f84f9463a0f7b4fb846a794a6c4f493

NY
010_eddie_rabon--300x350.jpg

a load of disjointed crap...was it made by fox?
Well of course, "fair and balanced" fair in that it's not illegal, and balanced in that it tries to compensate for the rest of the world, which is "sane" and logical.... but what do i know, maybe fox are the good guys!?

anyways, I just came from ymca in nyc... this doesn't seem much worse IMO. surely living there CAN get you down, but compare it to living 100s of years ago. And I think if we didn't' have the rich to compare to, we'd all probably not complain as much for our current situation. Obviously I can't know for sure, but I definitely hope (and hopefully most people do too) that the people who are truly suffering get help first and foremost.

UW, but I didn't stay in the dorms. The dorms I did visit were mostly OK, but there was one building that stood out as being pretty substandard.

Keep in mind the gizmodo article show some of the very best living conditions for Foxconn workers. Definitely a song and dance going on here

UW as in University of WA? I went there as well, lived in the dorms for 2 years. Looked pretty much just like this. Maybe a little less crowded, but not by much. (think 3 people in a room about half or three-quarters that size)

Registration is so high at UW that all the dorms are ridiculously crowded (triples in the size of doubles), and it's probably only gotten worse since I went there.

UW as in University of WA? I went there as well, lived in the dorms for 2 years. Looked pretty much just like this. Maybe a little less crowded, but not by much. (think 3 people in a room about half or three-quarters that size)

Registration is so high at UW that all the dorms are ridiculously crowded (triples in the size of doubles), and it's probably only gotten worse since I went there.

Yep, living off campus was fantastic. The only problem is the house we stayed in wasn't exactly geared for study... Oh well, scientists are working on ways to regrow livers :D

Doesn't look much different than low level college dorms here...

The difference is that college is temporary and optional. You're not going to spend 30 years of your life there without climbing the career ladder.

About a year ago I watched a documentary on TV about these Chinese sweat shops and they charge them rent and utilities to live in these shit hole dorms. One couple that met on the job and wanted to get married and move out of the dorms into their own place off "campus" where told by management that they can do that but would still have to pay their electricity bill. ???

I breaks my heart to see that many people still have to live in substandard situations so that a few can make fortunes.

Yea, and Western companies that profit from these near slave like conditions are just as guilty as those that run the sweat shops. They should be ashamed of themselves but aren't because they turn a blind eye to it.

Zarathustra[H];1036372284 said:
Its insane that products are allowed onto our market that circumvent our labor laws by manufacturing them abroad.

I feel kind of ashamed for owning at least one product I know is manufactured by foxconn...
Circumvent your labor laws?! Last time I checked nothing was being manufactured in the US anymore. If it were the prices would be several times as high thanks to your (anti)labor laws.
Enjoy your standard of living while it lasts, your children will be enjoying the debt.

This shit sucks but we can't exactly NOT buy shit made in these factories. There's no alternative as far as I am able to discern. I'd gladly pay more for a product knowing it wasn't build by slaves in these working and "living" conditions but I don't have that option.

Fuck.

The US still has a large manufacturing presence. Quit the bullshit, you never checked.

The US still has a large manufacturing presence. Quit the bullshit, you never checked.

Compared to the manufacturing presence in Afghanistan? Yes the US has a huge manufacturing presence.
Large enough for a country of 310M people with a national debt of 13 trillion dollars? Not by a long shot.

This shit sucks but we can't exactly NOT buy shit made in these factories. There's no alternative as far as I am able to discern. I'd gladly pay more for a product knowing it wasn't build by slaves in these working and "living" conditions but I don't have that option.

Fuck.

True, but also consider it's likely you'd be paying a LOT more (i.e. 2x+ as much) for that option.

What's so bad about this? They had a handful of suicides because they have nearly a million employees.

Way better than the infantry barracks we had at Fort Bragg! ...even better than jail.

That isn't saying much. 'Better than jail' is not much to brag about. Nor is 'better than housing for hardened soldiers.'

The plywood beds are not bad. I slept on one for three months and honestly slept better than on a fluffy western style mattress. There is usually a very thin cushion on top of the plywood which is enough to make it comfortable for sleeping.

Speaking of which, unless you are making fairly nice money in China even if you have a mattress it is just about as hard as plywood anyway. The mattress I sleep on now is like a rock, same for every one of my friends.

Not too keen on living in such close proximity to others but personal space is a western concept and does not generally apply here. At all.

If you guys wanna really lose your minds....try and find pics of the toilets/showers

every motherboard i've owned has had at least 1 foxconn component on it...

what's more annoying is if a treehugger owns a computer it's probably an apple but they totally ignore where it comes from

I was just gonna comment on how many motherboards and devices have Fox Conn connectors and such. We all have Fox Conn products.

Anyway...those living conditions are terrible, by my standards anyway.

And as for those nets... If someone wants to face plant the concrete they will just jump out further.

Big difference between living is a small space because you choose to verses because it's the only alternative.

compared to other 3rd world countries, these are nicer actually, in one third world country I saw, though they where staying in conditions worst than these they where actually contended with it.

Or motherboard. Or just about ANYTHING computer related, my friend. Go troll somewhere else, or read a book. Either would do us all good.

I just like taking jabs at Apple, sorry (couldn't help myself) :D

Seriously though; anything we buy electronic and at least some component in just about anything period was very likely manufactured under conditions many of us would find appalling.

My sister-in-law makes (IIRC, with a weak dollar) $180/month as a teacher in Brazil & has to try & pay a mortgage with her husband. $300 US/month is almost double what she makes.

I bet you guys never worked offshore... at least these guys have a window in their room!!

If it's playing in your area watch "Last Train Home" Those dorms are nice compared to other places.

wow...what a depressing movie. i wonder what the next generation of chinese are gonna be like...is there going to be a big backlash against this and they will become less productive?

Do the math, what is 20 out of a million?
.002% of their workforce committed suicide.

uuh that's 2 that we've heard of
you do realize that china is still a communist country and the media is strictly controlled right?
how many people work at that particular factory?
how many committed suicide in their homes so it wouldn't be newsworthy?

Terry and Lander are pretty bad, yes. But the other residence halls aren't so bad, such as Hansee (although it's a 24hr quiet hall). They are also currently building a couple new residence halls to accommodate the growth. I've lived off-campus during my tenure there, except for the one summer I stayed to take classes, Stayed in Terry Hall and it wasn't so bad, but then again it wasn't crowded.

The university apartments are a different story. Way better conditions, imho. Have a sibling currently staying in one.

Ever visit Peking University? The dorms are from the 60s and look like prison cells. And this is for their best students in the nation.

Back