Inserting Digital Ads Into Rerun TV Shows

I don't like adding stuff or changing stuff in TV and movies. Just looks at how George Lucas messed up the original trilogy. It feels a bit like rewriting history. You wouldn't add an iPod to Mona Lisa so why would you change TV and movies? They have historical value as well.

Just makes me think of how they butchered the Quantum Leap series on DVD by replacing a lot of period music that created the mood for all the eras he leaped in to with cheesy elevator music. Completely ruined it and made the DVDs unwatchable.

Might work in some shows, but not in a show where the music at times was quite literally one of the background characters. Out of place current era ads in older shows would be the same damn thing. If it drew my eyes to it, it's most likely cause me to rage at the sponsor, not want to buy their product.

As far as the amount of ads these days on TV, I can't watch most shows live. I have to DVR them. Sometimes the commercial breaks are so long I'll freaking forget what the hell I was watching between them. What's the point of watching TV when that happens?

Everything is turning into a corporate dick suck. The city I live in is going to start selling naming rights to bridges! What the fuck? If they do that, those companies better be maintaining the damned things.

Done correctly, in show 'ads' would be done in conjunction with already existing commercials, one reinforcing the other. Your favorite character on tv sits down and pops open a bag of chips. Or sits down at a Toshiba computer. This has worked and worked well in the past. When Neo started using that nifty cell phone in The Matrix, everyone wanted one, but it didn't exist! So they created one that looked like it and it sold. Image that. People want to emulate the characters they see on tv.

Still, this all boils down to, people are sheep. Advertisers know they're easy to manipulate. Anyone that thinks otherwise isn't thinking.

Done correctly, in show 'ads' would be done in conjunction with already existing commercials, one reinforcing the other. Your favorite character on tv sits down and pops open a bag of chips. Or sits down at a Toshiba computer. This has worked and worked well in the past. When Neo started using that nifty cell phone in The Matrix, everyone wanted one, but it didn't exist! So they created one that looked like it and it sold. Image that. People want to emulate the characters they see on tv.

Still, this all boils down to, people are sheep. Advertisers know they're easy to manipulate. Anyone that thinks otherwise isn't thinking.

Let's not forget the rimless sunglasses, Duracell battery that Morpheus held up, the welders goggles Riddick used, and Harry Potter's round spectacles. If something is popular people want it. It doesn't matter if it's good, just that it's popular.

i don't own a tv anymore or any sort of digital tuner.
it's been years since i've actually sat down 'in front' of a tv.
i have a pc with a very large monitor and a semi-decent internet connection.
so for advertisers i slip thru the cracks as i don't consume tv, films etc on the medium they choose. the stuff i do watch has all that (bullshit ads) removed.

i can understand as advertisers struggle to get a working model for print and tv, as the way people consume it has changed over the last 20 years.
thing that makes me laugh & angry at the same time is that we pay for the advertising when we buy a product. the marketing component forms quite a sizable portion of the sticker price, whether we've seen the ad or not.

it is only a matter of time till it is like this

6a0120a85dcdae970b0128777001ac970c-pi

love the insert from 'Idiocracy'. that flim is scary. it's a social satire that could convievibily come true.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.

Doctor:
Don't worry, scrote. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now...

Just makes me think of how they butchered the Quantum Leap series on DVD by replacing a lot of period music that created the mood for all the eras he leaped in to with cheesy elevator music. Completely ruined it and made the DVDs unwatchable.
That kind of thing is really annoying, I never understood why the music rights would be so expensive to the point where you had to change the content. Wouldnt the labels want their music heard by all those people buying the dvds?

On topic: I agree with everyone saying altering the material is just lame. It ruins the timeline and original intentions of the creators. And even if it is unobtrusive now it will only get worse as time goes on.

Back