Insane GPU prices in 2022 WTF?

People need to put their foot down and just say no. Don't fall for it. Don't pay these prices.

Let these cards sit and pile up and in a few months they'll have big price reductions.

This sounds good in theory.. but for those that say "No", there will be the same amount of idiots that do not care and take the "No's" places. Nvidia's blind, financially retarded sheep will always exist

🤣

This sounds good in theory.. but for those that say "No", there will be the same amount of idiots that do not care and take the "No's" places. Nvidia's blind, financially retarded sheep will always exist

🤣
Yup, some are already considering the 12gb '4080' as an actual 4080 for generational price comparisons. Good work, Nvidia.

Yup, some are already considering the 12gb '4080' as an actual 4080 for generational price comparisons. Good work, Nvidia.

Now that's just plain dumb, the 4080 12GB is truly just a 4070, and should be priced like it, more in the $599 - $699 range, certainly not $1,000.

Now if people wanna blow $1700+ on a 4090, that's on them, it does give awesome performance no doubt, I'm just not a fan of the gigantic size and heavy weight, plus the inefficiency with the major power draw and heat it produces. That's the main reason I don't like the RTX-4090, it's not really the high price, it's the stupid HUGE size and power hog I don't like.

Now that's just plain dumb, the 4080 12GB is truly just a 4070, and should be priced like it, more in the $599 - $699 range, certainly not $1,000.

Now if people wanna blow $1700+ on a 4090, that's on them, it does give awesome performance no doubt, I'm just not a fan of the gigantic size and heavy weight, plus the inefficiency with the major power draw and heat it produces. That's the main reason I don't like the RTX-4090, it's not really the high price, it's the stupid HUGE size and power hog I don't like.

The same people blowing $1700 probably don't care about the size and power draw ;).

The naming of two cards as 4080 with completely different specs is Nvidia at its finest.

Look at console prices, then why is the PS5 and latest X-Box still roughly the same price as older generation prices.

The PS5 at Best Buy is $399 to $599. It's not $1,000.

And they have both CPUs and GPUs inside. So how are Sony and Microsoft not effected by big price increases?

With video cards now approaching $1,500 to $2,000 price range, I can see how console gaming just becomes more and more popular than PC gaming.

For $2k you can buy a nice 55" OLED TV + a PS5 console, and 5.1 speaker setup. Or just get one giant brick oven video card, and someone building a new PC then needs all the components too. A good 4090 PC gaming rig would run like $4,000 to $5,000 with the monitor.
Console prices are subsidized by licensing royalties and game sales so you can't compare them to computer parts.

4080 12g performance be damned. 900 bucks and 192 bit…

Recently that’s cards such as :
6700xt

The Rx 6600 and xt are 128bit and they perform well enough but obviously all of these are 2-400 bucks at worst case post mining boom Also way down the stack from xx80 tier.

Just a bad look by Nvidia here.

The best advice I can give now is hold fast. Do not buy any card unless absolutely necessary. What's happening is nV is trying to both raise the bar for prices across the board and stabilize the price of the 3-series (which there is massive amounts of stock left). The general market won't support it, but early adopters will - and nV knows this. Come mid-Q1 they're going to lower prices and/or start to release refresh models so they can start to move volume.

As for the price increases, it's without precedent in 25 years of the graphics card sector, and by a long shot. Unless the performance uplift is outlandishly good, ~70% over prior gen, we're looking at a flat price/performance curve or even a drop.

I have nowhere near the rich (pun intended) history some folks have with video cards. Yeah, the 3dfx Voodoo2 I bought for ~$350 was the big one. (That, plus two of something else in SLI. Cutting edge video...20+ years ago. ;) )

I've tried to keep my rigs, if not cutting edge, at least relevant. I had tried to balance my purchases between Nvidia and AMD.

No more.

Nvidia's market practices convinced me that they did not want me as a customer, so I have complied. See my sig. All GPUs are AMD...and so they will be.

I just laugh at the Nvidia MSRPs.

I am too but don’t think for one minute that they won’t follow Nvidia like always and price high to start. Maybe it goes the other way and after all the rage about AM5 prices , especially the boards, they get super competitive on the GPU prices but I’ll believe it when I see it.

I like my 6800xt so much I’m willing to buy another high end AMD card in the next year or so if they bring it.

There was some rumor that Jensen Huang changed his mind last minute at the 4000 Series launch and increased the prices, literally last minute that same day of the announcement, surprising everyone at nVidia. They originally we're not going to launch that high, but who know how true that is.

Reactions: XoR_
like this
You guys don't have to worry about me buying current gen parts! I'm too poor!

I always buy previous gen stuff, like this TUF 3080 I just picked up for 580 off Facebook marketplace. It has all the power I'm ever going to need for the next while.

I always buy previous gen stuff, like this TUF 3080 I just picked up for 580 off Facebook marketplace. It has all the power I'm ever going to need for the next while.
yep. My 3070 should last a bit. I've been satisfied with it. Nice jump from the 1060 I had before it.

Now that's a deal. $580 for an Asus RTX-3080 is amazing.

It's still a performance beast. Especially in 1440p Ultrawide gaming.

There was some rumor that Jensen Huang changed his mind last minute at the 4000 Series launch and increased the prices, literally last minute that same day of the announcement, surprising everyone at nVidia. They originally we're not going to launch that high, but who know how true that is.
6w33i2.jpg

The sheep buying the 4090 at lunch certainly aren't helping matters.

Especially if you already have something like a 3090 or even a 3080.

Those people are contributing to nVidia raising prices.

Just have some patience and principles, wait till early next year and the prices will drop and show nVidia a lesson.

To me it's not about affording a 4090, sure a lot of us can. It's about not caving in and accepting these sky high prices.

I mean, how out of touch would it be for GPUs to have external coolers now instead of being housed inside the case? I know its a thing, but its almost like that's going to be the norm.

I mean, how out of touch would it be for GPUs to have external coolers now instead of being housed inside the case? I know its a thing, but its almost like that's going to be the norm.

I think you're onto something I could see future high-end GPUs being something you don't put inside the PC case anymore. It's a standalone thing with just a wire that connects to your motherboard and then the other wire to the monitor.

I think you're onto something I could see future high-end GPUs being something you don't put inside the PC case anymore. It's a standalone thing with just a wire that connects to your motherboard and then the other wire to the monitor.
Just cut holes in a minifridge for the wiring. house it all in there. XD

There's just so much extra cost on top of the "card cost". Nvidia really blew it this time.

Kinda of like the Expansion Enclosures for Laptops. The GPU in it's own, stackable, chassis that you put your PC on top of... or mount the the wall, perhaps your ceiling or maybe it even goes in the Freezer of a Mini-Fridge... This shit is getting out of hand.

Jensen... is like way ahead of you 🙄

Inevitable future of Nvidia graphics card for normal high end gaming PCs...
NVIDIA_supercomputer_AI_today.jpg

Just cut holes in a minifridge for the wiring. house it all in there. XD

Sounds like a good way to burn out the compressor in your minifridge. Those things don't do continuous loads...

On the other hand, also sounds like a great opportunity for a window-mount outdoor liquid cooling loop. No reason for the radiator to be anywhere near the computer chassis...

Jensen... is like way ahead of you 🙄

Inevitable future of Nvidia graphics card for normal high end gaming PCs...
View attachment 516812

Just link two of those in SLI and we might finally be able to play Crysis at 4k@240Hz.
And yeah, don't forget the liquid helium atmosphere. I think we can just plant them somewhere on Europa, and utilize those monoliths for cloud gaming.

I just bought a 3080 12GB hybrid off ebay for $733 NIB including tax. The new gen is so power/money hungry I decided to make a move and wait 5+ more years to see what's out there

I just bought a 3080 12GB hybrid off ebay for $733 NIB including tax. The new gen is so power/money hungry I decided to make a move and wait 5+ more years to see what's out there
I highly doubt the new gen will be particularly power hungry relative to the very power hungry Ampere (unlike the money side of things), rumored specs seem to be around (i.e. the new 4080 16 gb could be similar if not under the 3080 12gb power wise, while the 4080 12gb is more like a 3070):

4090 24: 450 watts
3090 TI: 450 watts

3090 24: 350 watts
3080 TI: 350 watts

4080 16: 320 watts
3080 10: 320 watts

3070 TI: 290 watts
4080 12: 285 watts

2080 TI: 250 watts

And a 4090 seem to be able to do a lot at 350 watts (look like it get CPU bounded at cyberpunk at 4K when dlss is on), seem like it was some rumour based on the worst case scenario AIB and other partner received when it was not sure if they would go and get TSMC latest node

Last edited:
Do you guys remember Fermi times?
card1.jpg

GTX 480 used ~257W in games typically and 320W in Furmark type test with power consumption being very unlikely to go above 300W in games.
Heck, you could fit this card in to your ATX case 🥲

Ach good times of low power consumption graphics cards... and now back to...
rtx-4090-series-s-1024x640.jpg

ASUS-ROG-STRIX-OC.jpg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rop-in-demand-as-recession-looms?srnd=premium

Basically during the COVID epidemic millions of adults and kids were stuck at home, couldn't go into school or work.

So all these people bought new PCs or did major upgrades.

On a scale never before seen.

That was just the last one and two years, so majority of people have new computers and don't need upgrades for many years.

Thus...computer upgrades going back to the niche of just the tech nerds buying and upgrading.

Last edited:
Reactions: XoR_
like this
The sheep buying the 4090 at lunch certainly aren't helping matters.

Especially if you already have something like a 3090 or even a 3080.

Those people are contributing to nVidia raising prices.

Just have some patience and principles, wait till early next year and the prices will drop and show nVidia a lesson.

To me it's not about affording a 4090, sure a lot of us can. It's about not caving in and accepting these sky high prices.
I work in ultra luxury resorts. Not everyone is a sheep; you would be surprised how many people actually have money to burn and stacks burning holes in their pockets (a bunch of guys actually just carry a purse with their stacks).

I work in ultra luxury resorts. Not everyone is a sheep; you would be surprised how many people actually have money to burn and stacks burning holes in their pockets (a bunch of guys actually just carry a purse with their stacks).
yea. electricians, HVAC guys, and plumbers. XD

I have nowhere near the rich (pun intended) history some folks have with video cards. Yeah, the 3dfx Voodoo2 I bought for ~$350 was the big one. (That, plus two of something else in SLI. Cutting edge video...20+ years ago. ;) )

I've tried to keep my rigs, if not cutting edge, at least relevant. I had tried to balance my purchases between Nvidia and AMD.

No more.

Nvidia's market practices convinced me that they did not want me as a customer, so I have complied. See my sig. All GPUs are AMD...and so they will be.

I just laugh at the Nvidia MSRPs.

Ive been the same way, I would stay with NV for a few cards, then ATI, and even a few 3Dfx cards in there. I went with whatever card was the best bang for my money. Now I plan to stay with AMD until nvidia decides to bring prices down to a more normal non greed infused level. Ive been very happy with my 6900XT.

Back