Input over network

Masejoer

Gawd
I'm curious, does anyone know if a program exists that'd allow you to send keyboard and mouse input over a network to a remote machine? Similar to remote sessions using remote desktop, vnc, pcanywhere, etc, but without the display coming back to the system I'm on. I'd rather not deal with a kvm although the system I'm trying to run on it only a few feet away.

Reason: I finally set my older system back up and its connected to a projector. When I'm not on the futon with wireless keyboard and mouse on hand, I'd like the ability to control the system from the desk. Video takes too much bandwidth and simple tasks such as moving filled windows (even at 8 colors in vnc) is slow and the mouse doesn't move as smoothly as I'd like it to.

I'm thinking a program like this would either give me a blank window to move the cursor around in or it'd have a hotkey to enable it to take input and send over the network. Is there any hope?

Can't say I know of anything in Windows to do that. The "lowest" you can go is a command-line driven control using an admin account, the command window in Windows, and maybe some tools to start and stop processes.

If VNC is slow, I have to assume your old computer has very little RAM. It might be simpler to just up the RAM in there so that the box can handle VNC and give you good response.

Honestly, VNC is still very effective even across the country, so in your home setup, the network should not be the bottleneck.

You could also try a utility called DameWare. It bundles a lot of otherwise command-line tools into a GUI interface that you can use to start and stop and manipulate quite a few things remotely. It also has a pretty nice remote control utility as well...might turn out to be faster for you, who knows. I kinda doubt it...VNC is pretty streamlined...

Its a duron running at 1GHz with 256MB of ram, so the system's fine. It had a fresh install of windows last weekend and runs quick, I'd just like to get more response from remote systems. I don't like lag, be it from waiting for the harddrive to load a program or in this case, the video being pulled across the network when all I want is to send input since it has its own video output. Just looking to see if any of you know of a program that exists to do such a thing ;)

Back