Inprivate Browsing Registry hack??

ButchB

n00b
Is there a dword in the registry of Vista Home Premium 32bit that can be changed so my kids can't use Inprvate Browsing? I have found ways in Vista but it can easily be changed back by the kids.

Thanks,
Butch

You can change it in GPEDIT. Elevated Command prompt, type GPEDIT.MSC, then

User Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Internet Explorer / InPrivate

Turn off InPrivate Browsing: Enabled

Guess you could go to Computer Configuration/same path if you wanted to make the setting global.

Home Premium doesn't have group policy.

Ah good point, just tested it on my laptop here but that's running Enterprise :)

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Privacy\EnableInPrivateBrowsing

dword setting = 1 or missing allows InPrivate and 0 disables it.

That might work.

Last edited:
I can follow all the way until Internet Explorer. I don't show this.

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Privacy\EnableInPrivateBrowsing
No "Internet Explorer" shows in my version of Vista Home Premium 32bit. I am logged on as Admin. Is there something else I need to do to see the folder?

Thanks,
Butch

You could also take a look at the DNS entries incase they delete the cookies after you disabled inprivate browsing. just open up the command prompt and do ipconfig /displaydns and go to any suspicious looking sites. Oh and I would just have a serious talk with them as well, if you need to take these extra measures they might be doing something that could potentially harm them emotionally or mentally.

You can add the keys and create it yourself if it's not there already. All GP edit does is modify registry entries.

Back