Inland Professional 1TB 3D QLC NAND PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD $89.99

That thread had deteriorated into stupidity long after the hotness of the deal faded. You shouldn't take it personally.
Yup, that original deal was long past, and it simple became a conversation piece to talk about every m.2 drive that was in that price point. Basically probably should have been moved to HotDeals discussion, but for whatever reason wasn't.

Yeah, this price is ok, if you live close enough to make it worth it. Otherwise, the pricing just is not worth the extra long drive, anymore.

Maybe prices are going to start to drop again? Still not as good as when they were 99.99.
I would expect them to at some point as people are going to need some deals to get them spending again even once this is all over.

I just picked up one of these on Amazon, but the 256GB model is identical in Price to Microcenter (only need it for home server, so apps most;y on the sssd.) data is on hdd!

The 512GB version (premium) I got a few months back has been working great. (y)

Last edited:
I would expect them to at some point as people are going to need some deals to get them spending again even once this is all over.

People are spending like mad right now for things like this.

Anyone know if all the Inland "premium" drives are TLC? The 2Tb specifies TLC, but all the smaller sizes do not.

The 2TB ones are TLC but they're using a worse stacked controller or something than they were using a year ago. I don't remember the details. You have to do a search for it. I was going to buy one but I changed my mind after reading that.

The 2TB ones are TLC but they're using a worse stacked controller or something than they were using a year ago. I don't remember the details. You have to do a search for it. I was going to buy one but I changed my mind after reading that.

Do you know if the other non-2TB's are TLC as well?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I get this isn't M.2 but I thinks it's a decent deal currently https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+m.2&qid=1592920624&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin:6797521011&rnid=6797515011&s=pc&sr=1-2 (
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III (139.99) 30% off

personally I prefer samsung as I haven't had any issues with the one in my system from 5+ years ago

Ice cold "deal". These drives were $129.95 a year and a half ago. And they are not $199.95 normally either.

I get this isn't M.2 but I thinks it's a decent deal currently https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+m.2&qid=1592920624&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin:6797521011&rnid=6797515011&s=pc&sr=1-2 (
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III (139.99) 30% off

personally I prefer samsung as I haven't had any issues with the one in my system from 5+ years ago
That's not even NVMe. WD website for new customers (?) right now has the 1 TB Black w/heatsink for around $140 after you toss it into the cart and hit checkout. Discount won't show until checkout supposedly so don't freak out if you don't initially see the discount. This is the version with the heatsink, it's been running $20-$30 more than the one w/o the heatsink.

That's not even NVMe. WD website for new customers (?) right now has the 1 TB Black w/heatsink for around $140 after you toss it into the cart and hit checkout. Discount won't show until checkout supposedly so don't freak out if you don't initially see the discount. This is the version with the heatsink, it's been running $20-$30 more than the one w/o the heatsink.
Thanks. May just by one of those WD Blacks to populate my other M.2 slot.

Thanks. May just by one of those WD Blacks to populate my other M.2 slot.

You just have to watch because a 2nd NVMe will usually rearrange your PCIe bandwidth configuration (depending on your motherboard, etc.). A 2nd M.2 which is SATA based will usually only steal two SATA ports.

In the worst case, some older boards will drop the main x16 slot to x8 to give bandwidth to a second NVMe (I'm thinking x470 did this on occasion IIRC). Definitely check your manual.

You just have to watch because a 2nd NVMe will usually rearrange your PCIe bandwidth configuration (depending on your motherboard, etc.). A 2nd M.2 which is SATA based will usually only steal two SATA ports.

In the worst case, some older boards will drop the main x16 slot to x8 to give bandwidth to a second NVMe (I'm thinking x470 did this on occasion IIRC). Definitely check your manual.
Yes, my motherboard will lose 2 of the 6 SATA ports with another M.2 PCI-E drive installed. I have 4 SATA devices in my PC. I could take out my Blu-ray drive if I needed to since I'm barely using it these days.

That's definitely a side-effect of consumer motherboards (and CPUs) that I wouldn't mind getting away from. My Z370 and Z390 boards all have three M.2 slots but I do recall having to be sure which slots supported NVMe without ramifications, and which ones support SATA. And I have a Z170 board with one M.2 port that defaults to SATA Express... so it comes up empty when you reset the BIOS.

Also, the worst part is that capacities >2TB have exponentially increasing MSRPs. If I could get an 8TB drive for ~US$500, I would; right now I have to delete stuff in order to install other stuff. That's with a 2TB 660p at >95% full, just for games.

Inland professional is not the same as premium to make sure people dont make the same mistake, professional are about half as fast as premium.
Each time I see this thread, I get all excited then confused for this exact reason. The premium has the good phison controller and DRAM cache, right?

ya the premium has the E12 controller and 3400 mbs reads, where as the professional is only 1900. Both are good deals but IMHO they should not be posted in the same thread in which the title is about the premium one it should be pushed out to its own post.

Drives at slower speeds, I want them to be higher in capacity. It offsets the lack of speed.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...d-qlc-nand-pcie-gen-3-x4-nvme-m2-internal-ssd
These are only US$40 less than the 3D NAND variant; at 2TB, it doesn't make much sense to get QLC unless there are other reasons in play (I used a 2TB 660p in an ultrabook because it is single-sided).

QLC gets significantly more interesting when it starts to replace spinning drives for mass storage. Think of a SOHO router with two M.2 NVMe slots (for mirroring) and 10GbE interfaces, for example. 8TB is a lot of storage if you're not moving significant amounts of video around!

These are only US$40 less than the 3D NAND variant; at 2TB, it doesn't make much sense to get QLC unless there are other reasons in play (I used a 2TB 660p in an ultrabook because it is single-sided).

QLC gets significantly more interesting when it starts to replace spinning drives for mass storage. Think of a SOHO router with two M.2 NVMe slots (for mirroring) and 10GbE interfaces, for example. 8TB is a lot of storage if you're not moving significant amounts of video around!

I would buy the $239 one as well. Just for comparison sake if someone wants to save $30 over the $129 version, but for $70 more they can get more storage.

I'm waiting until black Friday or so to get the 4.0 stuff.

Inland professional is not the same as premium to make sure people dont make the same mistake, professional are about half as fast as premium.

Learned something new there. Thanks for pointing out the difference between the Professional and Premium.

About to post this. The Inland Premium NVMe drives have TLC-based NAND and the coveted Phison E12 controller, IIRC. The Inland "Professional" is indeed a QLC-based drive (and a Phison E8 controller, correct me if wrong) with firmware that uses a portion of its NAND as an SLC cache/buffer, which shrinks as the drive fills up (and crushes performance if the SLC cache/buffer overflows). For a daily driver and more than simple browsing and word processing, I'd go for the Inland Premium because the difference is $30 for over twice the endurance and never worrying about SLC cache vs. capacity. Worth the trade-off, IMO.

Last edited:
EDIT: looks like the thread title was updated, cheers.

Last edited:
Back