Infrared Thermometer $29.99 at HomeDepot

TitaniumZX

Limp Gawd
Not sure if this is hot or not but I picked up a Ryobi infrared thermometer with laser sight for $29.99 plus tax. I've always wanted one but they were usually in the $40+ range. This is good around the house and to pinpoint hotspots in your PC.

Spec: -4* to 600*F (-20* to 315*C)

Here's a video I found on Youtube with some uses around the house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo7exU5RqsM

Not a bad price at all for an IR. Two months ago I was looking around for an IR for two different projects I had going on. I wanted one that could do up to 500*C and could use a thermocouple wire.

I was going to buy a Mastercool 52224B for $67 shipped from tooltopia. I ended up getting the 52225A for $91 shipped on ebay with 30% cashback ($66 after cashback), which includes a wire thermocouple rated for 180*F.

On the lower end they have a Mastercool 52224A that normally sells for $45 shipped and has a nice set of features. Worth checking out if you find a good sale on this one as well. All of these use two AAA batteries instead of the normal 9V battery pack, and have a C/F button on the display.

Also if you're using an IR for general purpose use, I wouldn't worry about the distance:size ratio. Not worth the extra money for that alone.

Does the target light (or laser) show the spot size on the target?

Yeah, it's basically just a red laser pointer as to where the infrared beam is hitting. From what I have seen on my PC, my hotspots are the northbridge, GX2 and 8600GTS with readings well over 130*F. I'm working on getting some better airflow to my case.

What I meant was.... although it's a laser, does the beam spot get larger as you go away, such that it shows the the spot size being measured?

No, you'd have to guess that yourself. Most cheaper models are around 8:1 (8 inches away = 1 inch diameter, 16 inches = 2 inches, etc).

And if you need to accurately measure a shiny surface or glass surface, a trick is to put a piece of masking tape on it (has a perfect emissivity). The normal reading is usually accurate enough, but it's fun to play around with :)

And if you need to accurately measure a shiny surface or glass surface, a trick is to put a piece of masking tape on it (has a perfect emissivity). The normal reading is usually accurate enough, but it's fun to play around with :)

Well, I need to measure air! I'm worried that I'll be measuring a large cone of air, rather than the particular spot where I think the evil spirit is.

Well, I need to measure air! I'm worried that I'll be measuring a large cone of air, rather than the particular spot where I think the evil spirit is.

That reply cracks me up and scares me at the same time!:eek: Are you joking or do you really think you can pinpoint a spirit with an infrared thermo?:confused:

That reply cracks me up and scares me at the same time!:eek: Are you joking or do you really think you can pinpoint a spirit with an infrared thermo?:confused:

I really think I can take a ghost's temperature by pointing a laser up his ass.

Warning to those who want to buy these IR thermometers...

They're very hard to put down. You just want to measure everything.

EVERYTHING.

Searched all over my local HD and did not find the Ryobi brand. Not listed on their website either. Grats to all who got this toy at this price. This is a big YMMV.

Warning to those who want to buy these IR thermometers...

They're very hard to put down. You just want to measure everything.

EVERYTHING.

You should play with a FLIR camera sometime...felt like a dog sniffing crotches :D

We have 3 flir camera at work.

Let's just say there isn't much they haven't been pointed at >.>.

I just picked one up yesterday, they were not in the tools section, they were located with the window film for cold weather items.

The only drawback I see so farm and it is a minor one at that. No light on the display, it had to have ambient light to read it.

I just picked one up yesterday, they were not in the tools section, they were located with the window film for cold weather items.

The only drawback I see so farm and it is a minor one at that. No light on the display, it had to have ambient light to read it.

Thanks, I found 1 in the electrician section, but it costs $20 more and was lacking in quality.
I guess I'll go look again. I had 2 employees (3 if you count the 3rd bonehead who they asked via walkie) take few minutes to figure out what a 'IR" or "infrared thermometer" was and directed me to flower pots section in outside gardening for "thermometers". Incompetence today, lol now I know why people never ask HD employees for anything.

Just got one and it works great. Its true you keep testing everything :)

Just snagged one at my local HD. I really have no use for it, but still, I love this type of shit.

Picked one up yesterday. I use it to find gaps and leaks around doors and windows. My apartment is fully winterized now :)

30 bucks is well worth it. That 50 may have been for a different product.

Picked one up yesterday. I use it to find gaps and leaks around doors and windows. My apartment is fully winterized now :)

30 bucks is well worth it. That 50 may have been for a different product.

That's a really good idea. I mean, you can simply feel for drafts, but this would let you look for weak points in the insulation.

Searched all over my local HD and did not find the Ryobi brand. Not listed on their website either. Grats to all who got this toy at this price. This is a big YMMV.

Home Depot actually has this over with all the holiday gifts section (special tool combo pack, Christmas lights, special buys, etc.). Like others have stated, I'm constantly running around the house using this on everything and anything. Not sure if this is good but the intake side of my PC is 74*F going in and 103*F going out.

Here's what it looks like, except it's not yellow at the tip.

Home Depot actually has this over with all the holiday gifts section (special tool combo pack, Christmas lights, special buys, etc.). Like others have stated, I'm constantly running around the house using this on everything and anything. Not sure if this is good but the intake side of my PC is 74*F going in and 103*F going out.

Here's what it looks like, except it's not yellow at the tip.

Hehe no luck, all the whole store thinks I'm crazy now after I brought in the picture.

I picked up one and it was located at the end of the aisle near the tools with an insulation display. No one knew where it was except for one guy who happened to be the stocker. It's really a cool tool and will really be helpful with a project I'm working on.

ok guys im gunna hit HD tomorrow to hunt this thing down.. i have really bad heat leaks in my house so this will really come in handy

If you don't feel like driving to HD and for no reason, call them first and ask for SKU 619-844. They got these in around thanksgiving and it sounds like once they're gone, they're gone.

With that said, mine seems incredibly inaccurate. It measured Ice cubes anywhere from -20 to 34 f.

How they're not all the same ice cube (just pulled out the ice cube holder from the freezer let it sit for a while and started measuring).

For now, I'm torn whether I should keep it or not.

If you don't feel like driving to HD and for no reason, call them first and ask for SKU 619-844. They got these in around thanksgiving and it sounds like once they're gone, they're gone.

With that said, mine seems incredibly inaccurate. It measured Ice cubes anywhere from -20 to 34 f.

How they're not all the same ice cube (just pulled out the ice cube holder from the freezer let it sit for a while and started measuring).

For now, I'm torn whether I should keep it or not.

....um...

An ice cube is probably not the idea subject to point a 'light' source at if you're trying to use that to determine temperature. You'd have to stick a piece of masking tape to the ice cube to get an accurate reading.

I have an indoor thermometer I keep beside my thermostat. I used that area to confirm that mine is working correctly (and to assure myself that the thermostat has the correct temp readings.)

What I meant was.... although it's a laser, does the beam spot get larger as you go away, such that it shows the the spot size being measured?

No. It's the average temperature of 2(x) square foot of area, per foot away from the surface being tested. Two feet away from the surface = 4sqft etc.

I've got one... It measures a pane of vented pyrex over boiling water at 107c... So, it's not exactly accurate, but it's a damn good tool to have anyways.

Some of the HD's have a Ryobi brand end cap. The one in Portage did. I walked in, asked an associate, and he directed me to an end cap one row over and voila! He even took one out and let me play with it for a bit. I bought one and have been messing with it for a while. On metal and concrete it is very repeatable and seems pretty accurate. I want to test my running computer next!

Distance to spot ratio is 8:1, accuracy is stated at +/- 5 deg C. Measures -4 to 600 deg F, operating temp range 32 to 120 deg F. The switch for measuring in C vs. F is in the battery compartment. The guy at the store missed that one, but it didn't take me long to figure it out. hope that helps!

Dude did anyone watch that youtube video?

Ridiculous.

Although this seems like a cool thing to own. if i had my own house id be all over it!

....um...

An ice cube is probably not the idea subject to point a 'light' source at if you're trying to use that to determine temperature. You'd have to stick a piece of masking tape to the ice cube to get an accurate reading.

I have an indoor thermometer I keep beside my thermostat. I used that area to confirm that mine is working correctly (and to assure myself that the thermostat has the correct temp readings.)

Could be, though pretty much everything in my fridge is reading 32. The water doesn't freeze in the fridge, so I'm pretty sure it's not 32, but I'll keep playing with it....don't think I have any masking tape handy, but maybe electrical tape will work. I just want the temperature of something that's known...and ice fits the bill, as does boiling water.

Could be, though pretty much everything in my fridge is reading 32. The water doesn't freeze in the fridge, so I'm pretty sure it's not 32, but I'll keep playing with it....don't think I have any masking tape handy, but maybe electrical tape will work. I just want the temperature of something that's known...and ice fits the bill, as does boiling water.

You'll have to measure something beside a thermometer for that. Trying it on a liquid, in any state, will just give inaccurate readings.

lol that youtube video is awesome, dude even has a huge dent in his front bumper

You'll have to measure something beside a thermometer for that. Trying it on a liquid, in any state, will just give inaccurate readings.

I figured has much...I was hoping that shooting at the pot just above the water might give me an accurate reading.

I tried measuring the heat in my mouth, but that's varied from 98ish to 100....I guess I could have been running a temp, but I didn't feel bad.

Regardless, It is telling me that my bedroom is colder than the living room (where the thermostat is).

It may or may not be accurate, but it does give you relative temps, so it's still useful.

I was able to pick this up yesterday, seems to work good.. and as an added bonus my dog absolutely freaks the F*&k out when she sees the super bright laser light... lol

262qgsj.jpg

as you can see the SKU is 699-814

wrong SKU, at least in my area

If they can't find it, it means it's no longer in stock (or that htey never had it in stock...or that they can't type).

From what I can tell, these were shipped to stores around Thanksgiving and once they're gone, they're gone.

If they can't find it, it means it's no longer in stock (or that htey never had it in stock...or that they can't type).

From what I can tell, these were shipped to stores around Thanksgiving and once they're gone, they're gone.

did you happen to see my next post?

Back