Information Systems high unemployment?

This article is BS. The real problem is that recent grads come out of school with no experience and turn their nose up at helpdesk or other entry level jobs. They think because they sat in a chair for 4 years and covered some Java scripting, and a few classes on the difference between a switch and a router that they are somehow going to make 70k immediately.

These students need to be a bit more realistic with their job and salary expectations those first few years out of college.

When we were looking for a Network Engineer with a few years experience we had the position open for 2 weeks and only got 5 applicants. 3 were from out of state.

I will add to this and say that most "IT People" are not very good at their profession, lazy and have terrible people skills. Mostly useless is a good word to describe many of them.

Harsh, but my observations have held true for over a decade.

I really wish public speaking and other social science classes would be required for IS degrees. Not every IT job lets you sit in an office and code all day and never talk to people other than your supervisor.

I would take that one step further and say that outside of menial and some entry level jobs, such jobs don't really even exist at all. I know I can't get anything done without talking to people and certainly I get roped into many, many meetings. I spend more time interacting with people in a work day than not.

I would take that one step further and say that outside of menial and some entry level jobs, such jobs don't really even exist at all. I know I can't get anything done without talking to people and certainly I get roped into many, many meetings. I spend more time interacting with people in a work day than not.
I do too. That is why if one of my technicians is giving off 'creepy' vibes to other departments that's something we need to address. Technical problems I can fix with more training (usually). But if you're 33, still live at home and have your mother make you ham sandwiches with the crust cut off then we have a problem. (we had a guy just like this)

@NetJunkie: Youre a CTO!? Damn, mind sharing some of your endless wisdom, master?

My wisdom is pretty simple. The IT world is changing. If you want to do well you need to evolve with it. IT is a great field..it's a WIDE field. You can cruise along and make $50K for a long time and be comfortable or take some risks and make some moves and make $200K+ (all in North Carolina dollars..adjust accordingly). The key is what you want to do.

Don't roll your eyes when people say Cloud and Software Defined. Go learn what it REALLY is... Hint: It's not outsourcing IT. Figure out how companies work. Why they do the things they do. Think about how IT can help them do it faster and cheaper. Don't just be reactionary to requests. Dig in. Learn the applications your company uses. Don't just learn the infrastructure you manage day-to-day.

If you're bored go consult for a while..or do pre-sales engineering. It'll open your eyes and expand your horizons way more than an admin job at MOST companies. Take public speaking classes. Go get involved with local user groups. OFFER TO PRESENT ON A TOPIC. Get good at it. Get on social media. There is just an amazing amount of great information on Twitter and Google+ and others. I wouldn't be where I am without them. Build your own brand. Be successful.

I will add to this and say that most "IT People" are not very good at their profession, lazy and have terrible people skills. Mostly useless is a good word to describe many of them.

Harsh, but my observations have held true for over a decade.

I agree. Maybe not as harsh as you...but I agree. It's too easy to coast along being mediocre in IT and make okay money. Those are the people that will be the first to hurt in the next 10 years.

Yeah he's the CTO at Varrow (www.varrow.com). He also does training videos too for PluralSight (formerly TrainSignal) which I've used for my engineering teams rather than send them for ridiculously overpriced in-person classes (class cost + travel cost = $$$). Conference room training and a dev lab is considerably cheaper. I recognized the name as I personally used the UCS training set with my company's UCS dev lab to initially learn UCS. He's badass and I have huge respect for him. I feel bad for previously giving him shit on here though I find that I'm an equal opportunity a-hole and just didn't know NetJunkie was him.

Tell you the same thing I tell the engineers I work with (that are way smarter than me)... If I'm giving you grief it means I really like you. If you're not giving me grief I don't trust you. ;)

And thanks. And hope you liked the UCS course. Finishing up an EMC XtremIO course this week and will be starting on one or two VMware NSX courses right after.

Too many posts to quote, so ill just do a free response, youll know what im referring to.

I also feel the nursing career is a bubble waiting to pop, i wasnt around during the .com bubble, but ive researched it and it seems like the same thing is happening with nursing, minus the stock market part. I believe nursing is going up in demand right now because of the baby boomer generation getting old and retiring or needing assisted living, etc. so nurses will be needed for that... but what happens when all those people in that huge generation... are gone? Then there will be too many nurses for the amount that will be needed and they will be out of a job. So if I guess, the baby boomers will probably be gone in 15 years max and that is when the nurses will be doomed... if i am correct.

Im not expecting to come out of college and be making 70k, not even 50k, im hoping my first IT job after college graduation will be getting me $30k... any predictions on what i should expect to be making? My first ever IT job should be getting me $20k i hope.

I dont want to be mean, and i may be wrong, but i can imagine many IT guys would be socially awkward, not all or even most, but many as in maybe 10% of the workers. Probably because they grew up liking computers and computers became their best friends... nothing wrong with that, but everyone needs to be with others and build positive relationships and people skills. These guys are usually "geeks," but they also end up making a lot of money too.
I would say im pretty much like everyone else as far as social skills go. If it feels right, ill start talking to people, i like meeting new people, but im horrified of being alone with groups of people, like being alone in a club or in a room with a bunch of groups already together, i just wouldnt know how to join them and stuff. I also hate being the center of attention, and id rather work myself like with projects unless the people im working with will actually benefit the project, stay on track, be efficient and as productive. I dont want to sound like a conceited asshole, but i usually feel like when doing group projects, my group kinda holds me back... usually, not always. I know im not the smartest, easiest learning, or most productive person... far from that.

Ill admit im lazy, and i procrastinate a lot if i feel something is not necessary, itll bring the death of me one day. Im trying to get over this, the best way i can describe this is like this: Its like eating a big burger with bacon and cheese and everything you want... it tastes so good and makes you feel so good too, but after you finish it you regret it when you gain pounds of weight or break out in acne(teen problems). When it comes to money and a job, i doubt ill be as lazy, especially on important things... if its actually important, i dont usually slack off on it, but im not a perfectionist, unless i really care about it or it will be for me or benefiting me. I know that all sounds horrible, but thats me right now, and im trying to get over that. Im weird :D

Last thing, all the CIS majors ive seen for the CSU college system include atleast one Public Speaking course, i think its usually as a general ed class or something in the lower division, so ill have to take that at community college before i transfer.

NetJunkie: I really took in all you said.
My wisdom is pretty simple. The IT world is changing...
Just want to say that i did read all you said and that i really took it to heart. Ill make sure to remember that and actually go on through with it. I can imagine i would do all that naturally too anyways. But really, thanks.

Thanks to everyone too!!

Ditch the lazy and procrastination. Don't wait until you are 45 like some people I have run across.

I also feel the nursing career is a bubble waiting to pop, i wasnt around during the .com bubble, but ive researched it and it seems like the same thing is happening with nursing, minus the stock market part. I believe nursing is going up in demand right now because of the baby boomer generation getting old and retiring or needing assisted living, etc. so nurses will be needed for that... but what happens when all those people in that huge generation... are gone? Then there will be too many nurses for the amount that will be needed and they will be out of a job. So if I guess, the baby boomers will probably be gone in 15 years max and that is when the nurses will be doomed... if i am correct.

That's a nice theory, but I would like to encourage you to take a more analytical approach to it. For starters, let's remember that people are born every day. Having a large jump up or down in population is unusual. The baby boomers were the exception due to certain noteworthy historical events. Additionally, population growth is related to population size by the logistic differential equation (most simply put: dP/dt = c*P), i.e. more people means faster population growth....So it would be logical to assume the generations following the baby boomers will be even larger. You could easily look this up and get real numbers if you'd like to see how your theory stacks up quantitatively. Certainly, though, if population growth is what's been driving the nursing field, it should continue to grow for quite a while.

That's a nice theory, but I would like to encourage you to take a more analytical approach to it. For starters, let's remember that people are born every day. Having a large jump up or down in population is unusual. The baby boomers were the exception due to certain noteworthy historical events. Additionally, population growth is related to population size by the logistic differential equation (most simply put: dP/dt = c*P), i.e. more people means faster population growth....So it would be logical to assume the generations following the baby boomers will be even larger. You could easily look this up and get real numbers if you'd like to see how your theory stacks up quantitatively. Certainly, though, if population growth is what's been driving the nursing field, it should continue to grow for quite a while.

Youre probably absolutely correct, but wouldnt the population normally grow steadily, unlike the baby boom, so there would be a fair ratio between nurses and people, ideally, a ratio where there is just enough nurses to meet demand, and wouldn't the "invisible hand" kinda eventually make that happen? What im trying to say i guess is that once the big spike of retirees are gone, baby boomers, and the amount of retirees goes down back to a normal, lower, steady amount, wouldn't all those now-excess nurses that were once needed to meet the higher demand become out of a job, because there would be too many nurses for the lower demand, lower amount of retirees.

Youre probably absolutely correct, but wouldnt the population normally grow steadily, unlike the baby boom,

The population will grow 'continuous', i.e. you won't normally have random jumps. But because of the way populations grow, more baby boomers means more children of baby boomers and so-forth.

The logisitic model for population growth essentially says a large population produces more offspring than a small one. The actual model can be simplified to an equation like this: dP/dt = c*P, or, the time derivative of population is directly proportional to population. If you sit down and actually do the math, such a model predicts something like P = C*e^(k*t), which means exponential growth. The population is only going to get larger from the baby boomers under most models. Fortunately there are other factors which help keep populations exploding in a completely out of control way (most first world countries are actually seeing a slowing in population growth for the first time), but it is still growing and as far as what's relevant for the timeline for someone planning their career right now, the 'old' population in the US is only going to increase.

so there would be a fair ratio between nurses and people, ideally, a ratio where there is just enough nurses to meet demand, and wouldn't the "invisible hand" kinda eventually make that happen? What im trying to say i guess is that once the big spike of retirees are gone, baby boomers, and the amount of retirees goes down back to a normal, lower, steady amount, wouldn't all those now-excess nurses that were once needed to meet the higher demand become out of a job, because there would be too many nurses for the lower demand, lower amount of retirees.

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/img/babyboomers_pyramid.jpg

The US census's models for projecting population and demographics out to 2060 show a fairly substantial increase of 'retiree' aged people over the long term future, so I don't think anybody considering a medical career really needs to worry about that.

If you're ever wondering about things like this, it's absolutely great to come up with ideas. But it will prove to be a good skill to have if you can actually go find relevant numbers and statistics and see what they mean for your hypothesis. Does it make sense that there will be fewer jobs for nursing because of fewer retirees? Yes. Will there be fewer retirees? Current projections say no. It's a good habit to develop. Ignore anecdotes and stories and always try to take a step back and look at real data when possible.

The population will grow 'continuous', i.e. you won't normally have random jumps. But because of the way populations grow, more baby boomers means more children of baby boomers and so-forth.

The logisitic model for population growth essentially says a large population produces more offspring than a small one. The actual model can be simplified to an equation like this: dP/dt = c*P, or, the time derivative of population is directly proportional to population. If you sit down and actually do the math, such a model predicts something like P = C*e^(k*t), which means exponential growth. The population is only going to get larger from the baby boomers under most models. Fortunately there are other factors which help keep populations exploding in a completely out of control way (most first world countries are actually seeing a slowing in population growth for the first time), but it is still growing and as far as what's relevant for the timeline for someone planning their career right now, the 'old' population in the US is only going to increase.

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/img/babyboomers_pyramid.jpg

The US census's models for projecting population and demographics out to 2060 show a fairly substantial increase of 'retiree' aged people over the long term future, so I don't think anybody considering a medical career really needs to worry about that.

If you're ever wondering about things like this, it's absolutely great to come up with ideas. But it will prove to be a good skill to have if you can actually go find relevant numbers and statistics and see what they mean for your hypothesis. Does it make sense that there will be fewer jobs for nursing because of fewer retirees? Yes. Will there be fewer retirees? Current projections say no. It's a good habit to develop. Ignore anecdotes and stories and always try to take a step back and look at real data when possible.

Oh believe me, im the guy to always look at the numbers and stats when it really matters. I just didnt do it now and research quickly since it doesn't really concern me and im doing a budget project as i type too:eek:

Tell you the same thing I tell the engineers I work with (that are way smarter than me)... If I'm giving you grief it means I really like you. If you're not giving me grief I don't trust you. ;)

And thanks. And hope you liked the UCS course. Finishing up an EMC XtremIO course this week and will be starting on one or two VMware NSX courses right after.

The UCS course was great for my team's setup and situation (dev lab of a pair of FI's, chassis, 2 half-width blades, uplinked to 5ks). For some they might have been a bit annoyed at your hesitance to trash your DC environment and rebuild it for all of us to see :). The LAN and SAN connectivity videos were long and covered a ton of material so some involvement was needed from our network guys to educate the server guys. We are a NetApp shop so I may take a look at the NSX series. God bless yearly training budgets.

The medical field is a bubble waiting to pop, just like tech was in the late 90s. We're moving for my medical residency and my wife who is an experienced peds/NICU nurse can't find a job where we're moving to (Salt Lake City). There are about a half-dozen nursing schools in the area flooding the market with new grads- the market is utterly saturated. Where we live now there are two nursing programs pumping out grads- I know several unemployed nurses looking for work, but the local hospitals are lobbying to hire nurses from the Philippines because they "can't find enough nurses"...... for what they want to pay of course. I think physicians are a bit more insulated due to higher barriers to entry and the fact that the number of residency programs are essentially fixed, but even still- States keep expanding the scope of practice for midlevel providers while decrying the lack of healthcare access (PAs, ARNPs)- these midlevels work for less money (but you the consumer are charged the same as if you had seen a Dr) depressing wages in the primary care field.... which simply serves to disincentivizes physicians from choosing a career in primary care.

Bottom line- nursing can be a rewarding career if you have the personality for it, but the job market isn't all rainbows and unicorns as it's often portrayed.

Quite the opposite in Charleston, SC and surrounding areas.

I work in medical IT as of late.....and I see job postings within the healthcare provider I work for all the time....FNP, RN's, front desk, etc etc.....

And with my e-mails I get from various sources I see the same.

40-80k a year depending.....

Don't be afraid to start in a call center or working for a small "Mom & Pop" computer shop. The kind of experience you get doing these kinds of jobs is so different and you learn so much.

Back