Information Network Security Jobs

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
For all the job postings for network security or IT security, etc.. I always see like 5+ years needed and certifications mandatory...

So i look at the certifications.... and it's like you need job experience and all this and that....

Can you learn this stuff on your own? I haven't found a good resource to actually learn about this field and get a certification without actually getting a job in the field...

Last edited:
You can set up a testing environment at home and work through some certifications while creating the scenario's the material covers but it's hard to go to an interview and convince anyone that it's real world experience.

Getting out there as a consultant / small business owner and taking the work you can for home and small business customers is another good way to say you have real world experience. Most people have friends and acquaintances that want help with their computers. It's not enterprise level security work but it gets you some experience while you do certs or a degree.

You're not going to find very much network security. It's shifting towards information security as a whole, which encompasses network security as one of the aspects. Network security is a very specialized field.

Yes you can learn all this stuff on your own but it does you no good without experience and you can't get experience without having learned all the stuff. Kind of a catch 22. Start from the bottom, work your way up.

Yeah thats what i mean information security. It is a catch 22... that's why i am having problems... sigh.

There aren't a lot of mid-level security positions. Security is typically a subset of IT that people move into after they have a lot of experience in other areas.

If you want to get into security the quickest option is to find a local company that either sells a security product or offers a security service. Get a job there and work your way up. You'll be surrounded by like minded folks and you'll be working for a company who makes their money by doing security. Not implementing security as an afterthought. Your experience will be accelerated compared to most other environments.

Back