Info on Viewsonic Q241wb?

almost certainly Samsung's 6ms G2G S-PVA panel (LTM240M2) given the specs

almost certainly Samsung's 6ms G2G S-PVA panel (LTM240M2) given the specs

Yeah, you're right the specs match perfectly. If that's true it's ~$300 less than the Samsung 244T with the same panel. :eek:

Bought it from Newegg for $404 shipped (damn Tennessee tax). They have the wrong specs listed--every other site has the correct ones. I will post a review when I get it. Pretty good deal considering 24" TN panels go for the same price or more, and this has an S-PVA panel.

edit: I cancelled the order and went to OM to get the Soyo 24" monitor.

Does this have a glossy screen????

I don't like reflective glossy screens.
: (

Any info on what the pixel pitch is?

I picked one up at my local Best Buy store. The screen is definitely not glossy. I returned it right away though. The bloody monitor has a really cheap feeling to it. The panel is very light - feels like a toy. The stand is unbelievably craptastic. Lots of light leaking from the back of the panel. You can read a book from all the light coming through the vents. I also had a heck of time trying to maintain a solid black and getting a proper contrast level on the Quick contrast test on this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/#contrast

The Samsung 275T and LG L246WP does not have any problems with this test.

I went out and picked up the LG L246WP for $30 more and it's much better than this Optiquest value junk.

I did not keep the panel long enough to test out any games. I packed it up within the first hour...

I picked one up at my local Best Buy store. The screen is definitely not glossy. I returned it right away though. The bloody monitor has a really cheap feeling to it. The panel is very light - feels like a toy. The stand is unbelievably craptastic. Lots of light leaking from the back of the panel. You can read a book from all the light coming through the vents. I also had a heck of time trying to maintain a solid black and getting a proper contrast level on the Quick contrast test on this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/#contrast

The Samsung 275T and LG L246WP does not have any problems with this test.

I went out and picked up the LG L246WP for $30 more and it's much better than this Optiquest value junk.

I did not keep the panel long enough to test out any games. I packed it up within the first hour...

:( That's too bad.

LOL.
Chronage cancelled his order, so I don't think he'll be able to give you a first hand opinion. Maybe someone else will be able to see it in person and reply back here.

Here's my tip. When you see it in the store lift it up (if possible) and you'll find that it feels like a cheap toy. Then you can decide if its worth $400(CDN). IMHO it didn't feel like it was worth it, so it went back...

Picked mine up today. Yes, it's incredibly light. At least compared to my 2001FP. Yes, it sucks on the features. But the contrast test linked above looks great and just a quick glimpse shows no dead pixels, but I haven't done a full test yet. No banding and no viewing issues from the sides as far as I can tell so far. I'm gonna load up WoW and see how it does.

There is no light leakage visible from the back of the display.

The stand is, as ksoze put it, craptastic. Not nearly high enough and not height adjustable to accomodate my 6'4". I'm finding a golden lining with that, though, since I'm going to find some sort of storage thing to put underneath it to raise it up.

Stand quality is BS to me anyway, as long as it doesn't break.

It's the image quality that's important to me, and defect free image quality at that.

How's the 6ms response time?

I love the Soyo 24 inch LCD panel, but I keep getting dead pixels with it.
Dead pixels are : (

And the horizontal viewing angle is only 160 instead of 170 or 178

I hope they didn't because that's the only PVA monitor I could find in Canada for $400 or under

I have a Q241wb dated December 2007, and the panel is definitely TN, color inversion and all. It also has a strong and angle-dependent pink cast in the midtones, and non-uniform backlighting.

When I ordered this unit the specs on Viewsonic's site said 1:1000 178/178; now they're saying 1:800 160/160. Conveniently for Viewsonic, most reviews you'll find on the net are with the original *VA panel.

This monitor doesn't have any backlight control. "Brightness" and "contrast" just play LUT tricks. So if you need to reduce the luminance, you're going to lose a large chunk of the dynamic range and of the already-poor 6-bit color resolution.

The inner edges of the bezel are reflective, so you the borders of the display images are duplicated -- get a thin bright moving ghost frame around the LCD. Did anyone at Viewsonic try *using* this model before they shipped it out?

As for the plastic stand, who cares, right? Well, it's so flimsy that when you bump your desk (e.g., by closing a drawer), the panel visibly wobbles back and forth for several seconds.

Overall, this is a fair 1920x1200 display that will suffice for email and text editing, but is a total let-down if you're looking for quality, ergonomics or color accuracy.

Hopefully it's a long sale to stop the cross border VA panel shopping so prevalent this time of the year.

Actually, is there any 1920x1200 VA panel selling now in the US around US$400 with a good return policy (i.e., not the Westinghouse at Newegg)?

For those interested, it doesn't suffice to find one manufactured in November 2007 to get a Samsung S-PVA panel. I learnt it the hard way with 3 purchases. ;)

S/N: QY807450xxxx --> Samsung S-PVA
S/N: QY807480xxxx -> TN crap (even though it says November 2007 on the box)

December 2007 and later is TN for sure.
Fortunately, I was able to find 3 QY807450 at another BB and had them exchanged. :D

Awesome monitor for 342$ CAD. :D

this has been a great thread, though now i'm not sure about something. i saw this ViewSonic Q241WB at Fry's and i immediately took a liking to it-- it was the only one on all their shelves that didn't become distorted when you changed angles, including looking at the monitor from a low position. but at the time i didn't notice the SN... so this is crap, because i want a monitor like the one i found at fry's but i won't ever buy it in a store (unless i'm in oregon).

any comments on which one i may have spotted? the viewing angle was incredible from every angle, and that's most important to me-- that and it has to be a 24" monitor.

For those interested, it doesn't suffice to find one manufactured in November 2007 to get a Samsung S-PVA panel. I learnt it the hard way with 3 purchases. ;)

S/N: QY807450xxxx --> Samsung S-PVA
S/N: QY807480xxxx -> TN crap (even though it says November 2007 on the box)

December 2007 and later is TN for sure.
Fortunately, I was able to find 3 QY807450 at another BB and had them exchanged. :D

Awesome monitor for 342$ CAD. :D

How did you determine the "good" Ser number ones from the bad? Is it on the outside of the box? When did you pick these up at BB?

I bought the diaplay at Frys. The good news" even though it has a 12/07 mfg date, it is definitely not a TN screen. Angles are good, color is good, etc., unlike TN. Bad news: It is too damned bright. No matter how you configure it, it is just too bright. If you make normal pics look good, the whites in IE or Word, etc., are BLAZING bright to the point of pain. If you turn down the colors or the brightness to make the whites look good, colors are too dark.

This thing is hopeless. Time to return it. Too bad, seeing as how it has the S-MVA and all.

I have ordered a refurb BenQ FP241W and it will be here Wednesday. Hopefully, no issues.

Back