Info On NICs / Wifi Chipset For Linux Router?

practal

Gawd
I have a small home network using a cheap encore wireless N router. Ive grown tired of my piss poor network performance and Im looking to upgrade. I was going to purchase a D-Link DIR-825 but Im now thing of building my own wireless router using some spare parts.

I currently have a Celeron 420, Asus G31, and 2GB of DDR2 667 that has been lying around unused for over a year. Im plan on purchasing a wifi card and nic to go with it. Ive looked into a few linux distros but havent made a decision yet.

I dont know a whole lot on networking hardware so need some help here. Ive done some looking into chipsets but not certain which is the best and which cards contain them. Ive read the Marvell TopDog 11n-450 is good but cant find reference to which cards use it. Anyone know of a card that uses it or one that has something better?

Im looking at going with a Intel NIC but not certain what the differences are between these 3 models? XPI9301CTBLK , EXPI9400PT , or EXPI9300PTBLK. What are the differences? Should I just go with the cheap one or would the others help with my situation?

Is this going to provide superior performance over a DIR-825 or should I just cheap out and buy the router?

Back