Infestation: Survivor Stories. (Formerly The WarZ) Really as bad as they say?

zamardii

2[H]4U
So I picked up this game kind of on impulse on Steam for $3.50. Everything I am reading about it is absolutely horrible. I also really hate the fact that it sounds to be kind of set up to be a free-to-play game as far as in-game purchases go. I thought it would just be a game... and from the reviews it sounded like the game is incredibly broken, incomplete, completely unbalanced with players just killing each other constantly.

What does [H] think? Was it a waste? Any players or people who've tried it? I heard Day Z was a lot better for ARMA 2. I could never get into ARMA 2 though... would i like Day Z better? It is open-world with other players too, or is it strictly a single-player mod with NPCs?

Day Z is online. Keep in mind you need ArmA 2 + Operation Arrowhead (sold together as ArmA 2: Combined Operations).

i know nothing about this infestation:SS. the former used a name similar to Day Z which probably led to many people buying the game thinking they were buying some version of Day Z. Then this was supposed to be free to play, except if you died you have to wait for hours to rejoin unless you paid for faster respawns. I might have misremembered things, but overall I would not touch this.

i know nothing about this infestation:SS. the former used a name similar to Day Z which probably led to many people buying the game thinking they were buying some version of Day Z. Then this was supposed to be free to play, except if you died you have to wait for hours to rejoin unless you paid for faster respawns. I might have misremembered things, but overall I would not touch this.

Yeah, I read if you play on normal difficulty you have to wait a hour to get back in. If you play on hard then you die and can't come back at all.

Most people's issue with Arma 2 is absolved in DayZ, just simply because it gives you something important to do(Survive) to distract you from the clunky controls that stand in your way.

If you haven't tried the real DayZ, I'd give it a shot before you start up WarZ. That will give you a much more objective outlook on the game going into it. Take notice all of the things they do terribly wrong, despite having a somewhat modern movement/animation system. And then remember DayZ Standalone will fix many of Arma 2's movement/animation problems.

Most people's issue with Arma 2 is absolved in DayZ, just simply because it gives you something important to do(Survive) to distract you from the clunky controls that stand in your way.

If you haven't tried the real DayZ, I'd give it a shot before you start up WarZ. That will give you a much more objective outlook on the game going into it. Take notice all of the things they do terribly wrong, despite having a somewhat modern movement/animation system. And then remember DayZ Standalone will fix many of Arma 2's movement/animation problems.

Thanks. I want to try DayZ, but I am reading above that I need the Operation Arrowhead expansion to play it... and I really don't want to spend $14 on a expansion that I only want to be able to play a free mod. lol. Maybe if it drops to $5 i'll pick it up.

I would just wait for the standalone game assuming it uses the new ArmA 3 engine and movement fixes.

War Z/Infestation was great, but the devs keep tinkering with the loot spawns, which is why I stopped playing.

The PvP was incredibly fun IMO, but would turn into a hackfest depending on the time of day. I heard that they switched their anti-cheat to PB which stopped most of the hackers though. So that should be cleared up now.

You don't have to buy shit in the store. Those are actually the people we preyed on. We would camp out with an M16 and kill the store noobs and take their shit, it was a blast. It caused much gnashing of teeth.

Don't listen to the haters, they just mad. War Z is a pretty good game. The Day Z people are just blind fanatics.

War Z/Infestation was great, but the devs keep tinkering with the loot spawns, which is why I stopped playing.

The PvP was incredibly fun IMO, but would turn into a hackfest depending on the time of day. I heard that they switched their anti-cheat to PB which stopped most of the hackers though. So that should be cleared up now.

You don't have to buy shit in the store. Those are actually the people we preyed on. We would camp out with an M16 and kill the store noobs and take their shit, it was a blast. It caused much gnashing of teeth.

Don't listen to the haters, they just mad. War Z is a pretty good game. The Day Z people are just blind fanatics.
You forgot some important details about War Z. It was confirmed at one point the devs were purposely banning accounts so that players would buy again. The icing on the cake was the huge list of features, yet none of it implemented at it's steam launch. It was bad enough steam pulled the game and then offered full refunds to anyone who purchased it.

You forgot some important details about War Z. It was confirmed at one point the devs were purposely banning accounts so that players would buy again. The icing on the cake was the huge list of features, yet none of it implemented at it's steam launch. It was bad enough steam pulled the game and then offered full refunds to anyone who purchased it.

Source?

Those aren't sources, those are discussions. As for it getting taken off Steam, yes, they did, because they advertised it as having features that weren't implemented yet. Once they implemented them, it was put back on Steam.

And people actually use metacritic?

When a game has a 20/100 average from critics and 15/100 from users, calling the game "good" is a huge exception to the rule.

Don't know why you're not seeing this.

The war z was one of the biggest gaming fuck ups in the past decade and easily the dirtiest devs we have ever seen... EA doesn't have shit on these guys.

IMHO, rereleasing it under a different name is extremely dirty and nothing but an attempt to miss lead new customers away from its horrible and we'll deserved reputation.

Lol.

Also Lets just note here - This game is actually called WarZ a game developed by such a terrible retarded and selfish developer instead of remaking the game or starting fresh they waited until just before a steam sale to simple change the name to confuse people.

OP I have some oceanview real estate in Arizona you might be interested in.

From the people who gave us that horrible Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing! Noted for being one of the worst games on the planet.

Yeah I'd skip Infestation.

I wish I were blind, then I wouldn't have had to look at that horrible piece of horse shit that was War Z/Survivor Stories :)

The war z was one of the biggest gaming fuck ups in the past decade and easily the dirtiest devs we have ever seen... EA doesn't have shit on these guys.

IMHO, rereleasing it under a different name is extremely dirty and nothing but an attempt to miss lead new customers away from its horrible and we'll deserved reputation.

They said they renamed it because people were confusing the War Z with Day Z.

Those aren't sources, those are discussions. As for it getting taken off Steam, yes, they did, because they advertised it as having features that weren't implemented yet. Once they implemented them, it was put back on Steam.

And people actually use metacritic?

Ok seriously out with it how much are you getting paid?

It's because they were sued because the name was too close to World War Z, the book turned movie. They were losing the legal battle to keep the name, so they renamed it, or so they say.

Keep in mind that War Z isn't terrible if you play it early, get a bunch of weapons before the servers had any significant user population, and you enjoy being a sociopathic ganker. Basically, if you enjoyed griefing playings in Ultima Online, then War Z/Infection: Electric Boogaloo is for you.

Ok so I actually play the game. Im not sure any of the people posting here have ever played they game them selves. It sounds by the non-sense stuff they are saying that they never played the game.

I will break it down for you.

Warz is a fun game the way it stands now because it cuts down on alot of the time consuming walking done in DayZ. In DayZ you can spend days not seeing anyone. That will not happen in WarZ because the map is much smaller but big enough for the game.

You can create up to 5 Characters and you can upgrade them as you kill zombies and other players.
You gain XP which you can then use to upgrade skills such as more life, stamina, take less damage etc. So if 1 of your characters dies , you can just choose one of the other 4 and be back online playing.
You get addicted to this game once you realize how many weapons are in this game, and if your like me I want to have them all. I spent alot of time looting for weapons and killing other players for their loot.

PVP Pros and Cons
PVP is alot of fun when you are in a server were no one cheats. Currently the game is running PB which has done away with the free ESP/AIMBOT called REI, it was free so everyone was using it.
Now with PB only cheats that work are for the people that pay monthly subscriptions, so its alot less now. When you join a server with people you dont know , they will try and kill you thats a fact so keep that in mind.

PVE are based on communities.
Im part of a couple of PVE communities where people just loot for rare items.
Its also another fun part of the game because you can take all your nice weapons
and equiptment out and not have to worry some one is going to kill you and taking it.
It allows you to see a different part of the game, but not everyone likes to PVE.

Trading system is great because its like real life.
People can scam you and take your weapons so you need to be a savy trader to make
successful trades in this game. I like the way the game is currently set up.

Bugs - There are bugs like in every game out there. I can tell you for a fact that this
game has less bugs then Dayz.

I hope this helps!

Well ill put it this way, i picked it up for $3.74 on steam a while back and i feel like i got ripped off.

any game that was and is so terrible that it had to change its name so people would consider buying it isn't worth your money

I have played this and dayz. dayz is a zombie mod tacked on to a mil sim. so you get great environment,weapons and some really wacky zombies. along with some truly weird animations and quite a lot of bugs. but then again its free, and its not pretending to be something it isn't.

where as warz tried to sell itself off as the greatest thing since sliced bread. and it turned out to be so bad that steam pulled it, until warz got their shit sorted out. after finally being put back on steam they changed their name since they had received such bad press. the over all gameplay is ok but nothing stands out. there are some bugs but less than dayz. every thing just seems rather mediocre and bland.

that being said dayz is way more fun but every thing takes longer, its also free. where as warz is kinda shitty but its geared toward casual gamers that don't have as much time to play as dayz players, and warz isn't free.

Last edited:
Ok so I actually play the game. Im not sure any of the people posting here have ever played they game them selves. It sounds by the non-sense stuff they are saying that they never played the game.

Hence my comment about the blind, fanatical hatred by the Day Z players.

Well I bought WarZ on launch day before it was widely publicised about the issues with the game. When I bought the game, there was nothing on the steam page saying anything about a "foundation" release or missing content. I tried to play the game for roughly two weeks, just to give it a fair shot, but it was a waste of time and money. The hacks in the game that people were using at launch were just stupid. The bugs made the game nearly unplayable, yet I played on through it hopefully to find some diamonds in the rough. What a waste of time. Especially after the designer guy started being a douche in the media and then the shit hit the fan. I wish I had known... I could have tried to get my money back, but it would have been just wasting more time. I will never ever buy any product that asshat works on again...

If there is one thing we learned from the WarZ is that everything they say is a filthy fucking lie.
Honestly, anything these shitstains say is bullshit to hide something even worse.

Do not buy this game. The amount of fun that you will get out of it that might be worth $3 is not worth supporting the horrible development company that made this game, "filthy fucking liars" is an understatement.

Just because you can get a blood diamond on the cheap doesn't mean you should.

Go get a taco from the nastiest street truck you can find. You'll have more fun with the results for $3 then you would fighting against this games interface and bugs.

From how things went with this whole development, release, and the dev postings I seriously doubt they would pay anyone they are that cheap. Anyone promised being paid would get scrwed IMO.

For the uninformed... Its Buyer Beware when it comes to this game.

nuff said. :)

I believe they HAD to rename it, because of the movie.War Z.

^ but the fanatics don't care

It's because War Z was designed with the worst possible evils of the freemium games, and it relies on the scum of the Earth to harass the other players so they have to pay money just to respawn. It's a time and money sink, and any amount of money spent on it is a damn waste.

Haters gonna hate? Well shitheads gonna shit.

Back