Infamous Pimax 8kx (4K rez per eye) finally appears

Strange they keep putting the 8K in quotes in that article. I had to go to the Pimax website just to make sure that's not how they branded it.

If I could pay US$1300 for a perfect 43" 4k gaming monitor, I would.

I don't consider that expensive if the product is solid.

Yeah, 4K at 75hz. VR needs the game makers to include sli/cfx and then maybe it could be 4K at 90+.
The tech is there for the res, but just no horsepower.... :(

Found this comparison... do want!! Also I've read all current owners will get a "discount" as part of their upgrade program (you keep your original headset).

026aa0cd4918b76af3001c1f588e6bb82a2b0844.jpg

It's my understanding that the games are still played in the same resolution, it's just the panel itself has a smaller pixel size to make the screen door effect go away. But in that picture above, the actual game is rendering in the same resolution between the 8KX and the 5K+? Seems like a lot of extra detail difference between the 2 extremes. Do VR games usually even have a way to change the resolution? I haven't noticed any that do....although my experience outside of Oculus ecosystem is just Bethesda games on Steam.

But in that picture above, the actual game is rendering in the same resolution between the 8KX and the 5K+?

It looks like there is still some scaling going on; the rendering isn't native, so it may just be the same GPU output scaled on a less asstastic display.

Whatever it is, it's much more usable, despite not being pixel-perfect. I'd like to try one sometime, though I'm certainly not ready to jump 'feet first' into VR.

Yeah, 4K at 75hz. VR needs the game makers to include sli/cfx and then maybe it could be 4K at 90+.
The tech is there for the res, but just no horsepower.... :(

I think the 75hz is actually due to the limits of a single DP link. Remember, its 2x4k, not just a single 4k display.

It's my understanding that the games are still played in the same resolution, it's just the panel itself has a smaller pixel size to make the screen door effect go away. But in that picture above, the actual game is rendering in the same resolution between the 8KX and the 5K+? Seems like a lot of extra detail difference between the 2 extremes. Do VR games usually even have a way to change the resolution? I haven't noticed any that do....although my experience outside of Oculus ecosystem is just Bethesda games on Steam.

No, the 8kX actually takes in native 2x4k input signals. The 5k+ and 8k+ take in a 2560x1440 per panel signal which is native for the 5k+, and the 8k+ upscales it. The 8kX and 8k+ have the same panels.

I think the 75hz is actually due to the limits of a single DP link. Remember, its 2x4k, not just a single 4k display.
Wow, really? I never looked up the limitations on DP.(My bad!) So really it needs 2 DP's?

Wow, really? I never looked up the limitations on DP.(My bad!) So really it needs 2 DP's?

To go over 75hz it would, but they've kept it to a single dp cable. They've introduced a 120hz mode in the 5k+ that works at lower fov so the thought is they could do the same - even in low fov mode it's higher than any other headset at around 135 degrees vs 170 for the full. So they can probably do 8kx 135 fov at 90hz. For comparison the reverb is like 105 fov.

Is that through steam VR? Or is steam VR only for the Vives?

If it’s steam VR in settings you can adjust resolution in real time per each application. I think I run most games 4k per an eye IIRC.

Last edited:
I was at Micro Center today and almost all of the motherboards had stickers that said AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready. Either the manufacturer is doing it or Micro Center is but either way the consumer wins.

Back