Inexpensive, solid pre-MSFS2020 flight simulator?

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to get back into flight sims after a decade+ away from them, in anticipation of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 only a couple of weeks away! I purchased a new HOTAS setup but realize I have no owned games to get comfortable with. I'm looking for an option that's (a) quite solid/authentic and beginner-friendly to build up my chops a bit and test out the gear (b) relatively inexpensive since this quite literally is a two week hold-over / test article until FS2020 is out. Any suggestions?

X-Plane is the obvious choice. You can download it and play the demo which limits you to 15 minutes of flight time which is enough to test out your gear, and you may find that you may want to just stick with X-Plane versus MSF...

Last edited:
X-Plane is the obvious choice. You can download it and play the demo which limits you to 15 minutes of flight time which is enough to test out your gear, and you may find that you may want to just stick with X-Plane versus MSF...
Yes, I agree. I found out recently that I would rather stick with my 350lb wife thats a bitch than date the hot 25 year old yoga instructer down the street.

Yes, I agree. I found out recently that I would rather stick with my 350lb wife thats a bitch than date the hot 25 year old yoga instructer down the street.
This is a fairly idiotic post. X-Plane is the standard, and has impressive graphics as it is. Couple that with far more air frames, and the ability for it to be certified as a true simulator, I believe you have no idea what you are even talking about.

I bet you have a 350lb wife lol. I kid , i kid. Seriously though, how do they even compare? I don't know what I'm talking about either, you're right. Everything I've seen from ms seems like it'll put the other ones out of business.

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (affectionately known as SWotL)...don't hate me! :p

Looking to get back into flight sims after a decade+ away from them, in anticipation of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 only a couple of weeks away! I purchased a new HOTAS setup but realize I have no owned games to get comfortable with. I'm looking for an option that's (a) quite solid/authentic and beginner-friendly to build up my chops a bit and test out the gear (b) relatively inexpensive since this quite literally is a two week hold-over / test article until FS2020 is out. Any suggestions?
DCS World is free to play, theoretically. You'll want the DLC, though.

Back