Inexpensive, simple, full mechanical keyboard?

VanGoghComplex

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys! I'm settling into my new office and am going to be spending a lot more time on a keyboard than in my previous position. I'd like a mechanical keyboard, but I don't want to pay for all the RGB/macrokeys/gamer glitz that typically comes along with them.

Where should I turn for a simple, full size keyboard that's got mechanical switches? I don't mind paying for quality, but also don't want to pay for gameresque features that I don't need.

Thanks!

capt_cope

Gawd
Had very good luck with my Das keyboard - it's been over a decade and it's still trucking as my "office" keyboard - everyday use for the past decade or so.

atarione

[H]ard|Gawd
You can kinda take you pick of quality non gamerish decent keyboards:

I have a Filco MT2 that I really like but I did spend more money for better keycaps for it and it isn't exactly cheap .. but it is solid. my Filco is about ~5yrs old now and it is perfect.

blah blah Ducky , Filco, Leopold.. probably other brands (WASD I guess) could all be pretty good choices.

If shopping these brands (and there are probably many other decent brands I am forgetting?) the main thing is going to be switch preference, stabilizer type.. The Leopold and Ducky have cherry stabilizers that I personally do not like, the Filco has costar stabilizers which I prefer... but this is highly subjective.

You may or may not care the 4 brands I mentioned are made in Taiwan rather than China which I personally greatly prefer..

Personally my preference is for Filco a MT2 fullsize keyboard is about $150~ the Vortex pbt keycaps I have are about $40~ sooo.. the stock Filco keycaps are ~meh.. but you can use them. I suppose in honesty $190~ for the filco + pbt keycaps isn't inexpensive..but it is worth it imho.

here is my Filco
filcoTKL_2.jpg

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
You can kinda take you pick of quality non gamerish decent keyboards:

I have a Filco MT2 that I really like but I did spend more money for better keycaps for it and it isn't exactly cheap .. but it is solid. my Filco is about ~5yrs old now and it is perfect.

blah blah Ducky , Filco, Leopold.. probably other brands (WASD I guess) could all be pretty good choices.

If shopping these brands (and there are probably many other decent brands I am forgetting?) the main thing is going to be switch preference, stabilizer type.. The Leopold and Ducky have cherry stabilizers that I personally do not like, the Filco has costar stabilizers which I prefer... but this is highly subjective.

You may or may not care the 4 brands I mentioned are made in Taiwan rather than China which I personally greatly prefer..

Personally my preference is for Filco a MT2 fullsize keyboard is about $150~ the Vortex pbt keycaps I have are about $40~ sooo.. the stock Filco keycaps are ~meh.. but you can use them. I suppose in honesty $190~ for the filco + pbt keycaps isn't inexpensive..but it is worth it imho.

here is my Filco
View attachment 240714
Yep. And the cool thing is, if you’re OK with Cherry stabilizers (I don’t mind them) you can get a Ducky with PBT keycaps for about $100 I believe. That’s a great value, particularly compared to the Logitech and Corsair gamer boards that come with crappy ABS caps and have inferior build quality.