Inexpensive Laptop Selection Assistance!

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

So my Fiance has started dropping hints that she could really use a laptop and since I handle the IT in the house, I've started looking around.

We are trying to save up for a down payment on a house, so this can't be something expensive, and she knows that too (she's been looking at the Groupon Goods deals in the $200-300 range and sending me links).

I've been looking through those listings too, but it's been an exercise in frustration, as I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Her requirements:
  • 13" or 15" class
  • Not too heavy/thick
My requirements:
  • Absolutely must have upgradeable RAM and replaceable 2.5" drives
  • Must have 802.11ac WiFi.
My thoughts are this. I have zippy 2.5" SSD's I'm not using I want to apply to make her happier with the speed of the laptop. Since I already have these drives, and low cost is the interest here, I have no interest in models replaceable eMLC or M.2 drives. It's 2.5" sata or bust.

I guess I'd be OK with soldered on RAM in a pinch, if there were at least 4GB of it, but I really hate that, and would prefer to have long term upgrade-ability in mind.

the 802.11ac is a requirement as I don't want the laptop to sabotage the house wifi by dropping it down in speed.

CPU power is not a huge deal within reason. I'd prefer to not get an Atom, but anything above that, I'd be OK with.

I have no issue at all with hacking a Chromebook if I need to, as long as it meets the rest of the requirements.

So, my issue is this. All the laptops I seem to be finding are either thicker/heavier higher powered models with 2.5" SATA drives and replaceable RAM, OR thinner, lighter models with soldered on flash storage and RAM.

Older Ultrabooks/netbooks and chromebooks used to have 2.5" drives and replaceable RAM, but these days everything thin seems to be consumer-deviceified.

Are any of you aware of any that still are made this way, and won't break the bank?

To sum it up, looking for:
  • 13" to 15" class
  • Ultrabook / netbook / chromebook type thickness/weight (I'm fine with hacking a chromebook)
  • Screen resolution at least 1366x768
  • CPU power not a major issue. I'd take AMD or Intel, as long as its not a Atom type weak deal.
  • Replaceable RAM
  • Replaceable 2.5" storage
  • 802.11ac
  • $350 max
Is this a possibility, or am I dreaming?

Hmm.

So I've been poking around and thinking. I've always thought very highly of Dells enterprise Latitude laptops.

I could pick up a Dell certified remanufactured like-new Latitude E6430s, pop in the SSD, replace the WLAN card with an 802.11ac capable model.

This would meet all of the requirements, except it would probably be a little thicker and heavier than she had in mind. Still, very solid hardware though.

To me it feels like just yesterday these things were new, but apparently that was 2012. That's 4 years ago now. I wonder if $275 for a 2012 laptop (albeit a great 2012 laptop) is silly at this point...

Not long ago I set a friend up with a 6330 that I tweaked in a similar fashion as what you mention. It was indeed bulky, especially with the extended battery protruding from the back. The 1366x768 display was poor but they didn't seem to mind, and in every other respect it was a killer laptop for their needs. The upside of all that bulk? It's since been dropped and abused without any issues.

Not long ago I set a friend up with a 6330 that I tweaked in a similar fashion as what you mention. It was indeed bulky, especially with the extended battery protruding from the back. The 1366x768 display was poor but they didn't seem to mind, and in every other respect it was a killer laptop for their needs. The upside of all that bulk? It's since been dropped and abused without any issues.

I wound up pulling the trigger on the 6430s. The 14" 1366x768 screen could be higher resolution, but for work I find that the more muted colors and matte display work better than many of the newer more vibrant and shiny models.
  • Factory refurbished 14" Latitude e6430s w. i5-3320m (Ivy Bridge dual core, HT, base 2.6Ghz. turbo 3.3ghz) and a single 4GB module: $260
  • Samsung 840 Pro SSD from my leftover parts bin in the basement: $0
  • Extra 4GB DDR3 Sodimm for a total of 8GB: $20
  • Intel 7260 802.11AC WLAN Card: $25
Total Cost: $305

That is cheaper than most Chromebooks, and a hell of a lot faster and sturdier too.

She seems happy with it. I'm sure she wouldn't mind it being thinner and lighter, but at this price I don't think we could have done any better overall!

Personally, for my own needs, I would probably have gone this route even if it were double the price.

Just be aware that factory refurbs often don't come with the best life from the included battery, so you may have to pay for a replacement. And don't forget that Haswell basically increased battery life by 50%, so don't expect miracles from Ivy Bridge.

But if all she wants is a laptop to use around the house and mostly keep tethered to a wall, it should be a winner.

Back