Inexpensive home desk

ecco

n00b
I'm in the market for a medium-sized computer desk, preferably between $100-200, but I'm not really sure where to look. I've browsed around Wayfair a lot, but have some worries about their quality. Any recommendations, or good experiences with Wayfair purchases? Hoping to keep the new desk alive for as long as possible without going over the price cap

It's hard to beat the Ikea laminate countertop + desk leg combination for price and quality.
That sounds interesting, I might give it a go. Is it as simple as just screwing the legs into the laminate, no extra modifications needed?

That sounds interesting, I might give it a go. Is it as simple as just screwing the legs into the laminate, no extra modifications needed?

You got it - nice thing about the 'Ikea Desk hack' is that you can add to it easily later on if you require more space/drawers. The biggest thing to make sure is to use Ikea's 'countertop', preferably the 1.5" thickness. Their Saljan seems like a good choice. The standard size is pretty narrow (25.5"), but they also have a larger 'kitchen island' size if you require more depth.

I also saw hardware stores (ie: Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) carry similar laminate countertops, but they seemed to be priced higher. More variety in designs, though (ie: you want a darker looking 'wood').

I found an old video of a guy putting one together (Youtube has better quality videos out there, but this guy actually showed the legs being screwed on).

Can't go wrong with Ikea for desk ideas. I'm still using my 20 year old Galant. Another option is a door desk. Found a old pic of my door desk before I got the Galant. Apologies in advance for the hideous cable jungle.

IMG_1083.JPG

You got it - nice thing about the 'Ikea Desk hack' is that you can add to it easily later on if you require more space/drawers. The biggest thing to make sure is to use Ikea's 'countertop', preferably the 1.5" thickness. Their Saljan seems like a good choice. The standard size is pretty narrow (25.5"), but they also have a larger 'kitchen island' size if you require more depth.

I also saw hardware stores (ie: Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) carry similar laminate countertops, but they seemed to be priced higher. More variety in designs, though (ie: you want a darker looking 'wood').

I found an old video of a guy putting one together (Youtube has better quality videos out there, but this guy actually showed the legs being screwed on).

Thanks man, I never knew this was an option haha. Pretty cool

Any other suggestions? Ikea doesnt seem to offer delivery for their countertops and the nearest store is 100 miles away, so that might not be the best option

Any other suggestions? Ikea doesnt seem to offer delivery for their countertops and the nearest store is 100 miles away, so that might not be the best option
got a home despot near you? you can build something similar there.

I'm in the market for a medium-sized computer desk, preferably between $100-200, but I'm not really sure where to look. I've browsed around Wayfair a lot, but have some worries about their quality. Any recommendations, or good experiences with Wayfair purchases? Hoping to keep the new desk alive for as long as possible without going over the price cap
I went with Bush Office Furniture. Personally, using a 72" monster desk for my computing work. But that's around 330 bucks. Their 48" Desks are around 230.

However, this one is 55" and 120 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/SHW-Office-5...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

and rated well

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: ecco
like this

I like Gaming Desks but if anything I would get a height adjustable one that goes down to 26-28 inches. I'm using a drafting table with a replaced top.

I would recommend a piece of angle iron on the backside of those ikea DIY desks, I've heard horror stories of them bending under the pressure. Angle iron would be easy to hide, and you won't kick it like you would a support leg.

My first DIY desk was a piece of 3/4" plywood with oak veneer, 2x4 supports under that, and cabinets. It worked fine, but eventually I was gifted a work table from Costco, which I mounted a set of slides to underneath, and a board I routed and stained for a retractable keyboard/mouse tray. Works great with those oversized mouse pads!

I'm sure after reading about these constant layoffs, you'd be able to snatch a $10k desk for like $5k somewhere in the SoCal area.

Check with local used office furniture stores. I usually get my desks there since they always have a ton of ones they picked up cheap. They also usually have catalogs and can get you just about anything. Price is usually 50% off whatever you see in the catalog.

Check used ikea desks on craigslist or offerup for the best bang for your buck. I bought my Ikea galant corner desk over a decade ago and I still use it today with the upgraded monoprice stand-up upgrade.

Scour those sites !
Desks often get into hands of people who simply want to get rid of them quickly.

Took me 2 years to find mine for 300 instead of 1500 ;-)
20210821_204703.jpg

Ended up snagging a 60"x30" desk, with a bookshelf underneath, in great shape for $10 off Craigslist. $10! The same guy also had a 71x24 + 71x21 L-shaped hardwood maple desk listed for $50, but I wouldn't have had a way to transport it, unfortunately. College surplus Craigslist deals are something else, apparently

My current desk is like 8-10 years old so going to get a new one probably in the next year or so. One i want to get is expensive, but i love the Hardwood style and it looks good. (Can also get it with a keyboard tray instead of drawers)
Artist's series Caretta Desk
f6085745dc1d70b9fdafc14c8ad091ed.jpg

They also have motorized desks, but no real need for it atm.

It's hard to beat the Ikea laminate countertop + desk leg combination for price and quality.
I'm in the same boat, and Ikea's solution seems enticing, however, what chases me away is it's only 25-5/8" deep. I need at least 30 inches, but ideally, 36 inches. I need something like 36"x72" (ideally 36"x96").

I'm in the same boat, and Ikea's solution seems enticing, however, what chases me away is it's only 25-5/8" deep. I need at least 30 inches, but ideally, 36 inches. I need something like 36"x72" (ideally 36"x96").
They do have the cheaper Particleboard tops that come in 30" I made a L desk out of two tops and they been holding up pretty well.

They do have the cheaper Particleboard tops that come in 30" I made a L desk out of two tops and they been holding up pretty well.
Any links or the exact name of such item? I couldn't locate it on Ikea's wrbsite.

Hmm I am having a hard time finding myself ATM too. Maybe they got discontinued? I paid like $30 for each top and they many different colors.

Edit:
Found these but they are pricey.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/bekant-tabletop-white-stained-oak-veneer-00366301/
Well, after much researching, I've settled on this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H1VBMH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although it says it's a conference table, the size meets my needs, so I opened my wallet and clicked away.

I also looked at this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKDZG66/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

But it cost just a bit more than the first one, so I decided to go with the lower-cost one.

Myself, always been impartial to stacked milk crates and a sheet of 3/4" plywood. But you do sound fancy so...
/s
Yeah, I hear ya. If only I just need a working table for my PC, I'd go that route myself. The reason why I need something a little fancier is that I have thoughts of turning my setup into a Youtube channel. You know, get in the trenches, like they always say? Not that it'll ever take place, but that's the little 'wannabe' plan I have.

Yeah, I hear ya. If only I just need a working table for my PC, I'd go that route myself. The reason why I need something a little fancier is that I have thoughts of turning my setup into a Youtube channel. You know, get in the trenches, like they always say? Not that it'll ever take place, but that's the little 'wannabe' plan I have.
YT loves the "real-man". You might be missing out on something there.
PS-good luck

Well, after much researching, I've settled on this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H1VBMH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although it says it's a conference table, the size meets my needs, so I opened my wallet and clicked away.

I also looked at this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKDZG66/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

But it cost just a bit more than the first one, so I decided to go with the lower-cost one.
Damn that is huge for a desk.

Back