Inexpensive but reliable 16G DDR4 kit?

justbenice

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I am building a new computer which is base in i7-5820K, i am not overclock anything so which will be best RAM kit for me ?
Thank you !

I would always go for G skill or Kingston. I have 2 different DDR4 systems and both are using GSkill. Kingston also make REALLY good RAM.

Another vote for G.Skill.

I ran 4 banks of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2133 stuff on my Z77/3770K build for years with 0 issues, and now i'm running 4 banks of Ripjaws DDR3 2400 on my Z97/4790K build and it's steady as she goes.

That being said, check out this Haswell-E DDR4 ram scaling article from Anandtech. Note that 2133mhz rated sticks are good enough, but also keep in mind that 2400mhz rated sticks are typically only a little bit more $$$. If the price differential is low, go with the 2400mhz stuff. In fact, as i look at Newegg's prices now... the 2133mhz stuff is only dollars less than equivalent capacity 2400mhz rated stuff.

So, my vote would go for a 2x8GB 2400mhz kit like this one for now, then when you can afford later, fill out another 2x8GB 2400mhz set. Yes, that's 32GB ram. You're also on an X99 platform and memory density is one of its advantages over more filthy casual setups. Make use of it!

Thank you guys. I think i will go with at least a 2800mhz or 3000mhz RAM kit.

You're wasting your $$$ unless you plan on putting that ram into a LGA1151 build.

Did you see that ram scaling link i posted?

You're wasting your $$$ unless you plan on putting that ram into a LGA1151 build.

Did you see that ram scaling link i posted?

I am so sorry that i haven't read the link. And i read it now!
Thank you so much, you helped me save a lot of money. I will stick with the 2133mhz or 2400mhz DDR4 RAM !

Take my advice, I've given this advice for a long time and I have yet to be wrong: More Ram is always better than Faster Ram.

If you have the choice between 32Gb of 2133 and 16gb 3600, go the higher cap, slower ram kit.

Yes ofcourse i will go with G skill or Kingston . That branch suit my money :)

i thought Windows load programes to RAM and send to CPU to proccess. With 16G ram, how can it use it all ? A very heavy game take only few GB harddisk, Photoshop tak 3GB,..etc . 16GB is more than enoguh at this time ? Will it have any good effect if i buy 32GB instead of 16GB ?

Last edited:
Yes ofcourse i will go with G skill or Kingston . That branch suit my money :)

i thought Windows load programes to RAM and send to CPU to proccess. With 16G ram, how can it use it all ? A very heavy game take only few GB harddisk, Photoshop tak 3GB,..etc . 16GB is more than enoguh at this time ? Will it have any good effect if i buy 32GB instead of 16GB ?

If you are not either running programs that open very large files for editing like image and video encoding or running virtual Machines you will not need more than 16GB. In fact it could be argued that you do not need more than 8GB.

I would always go for G skill or Kingston. I have 2 different DDR4 systems and both are using GSkill. Kingston also make REALLY good RAM.

Get g skill. The Kingston ddr4 I had was crap.

I stopped buying and recommending Kingston anything when they pulled the V300 SSD parts switcheroo and completely wrecked the V300 performance without changing their marketing.

Crucial. They are made by Micron since, well, Crucial IS Micron. You'll always know which manufacturers chips will be present on the RAM PCB's, unlike buying from an assembly-only manufacturer (G.Skill, etc) that may use a variety of (or undesirable) chip brands for the life cycle of a given product.

If you are not either running programs that open very large files for editing like image and video encoding or running virtual Machines you will not need more than 16GB. In fact it could be argued that you do not need more than 8GB.

I have, in fact, made EXACTLY that argument. What is threatening to undo it are the same games that require burlier GPUs, and for the same reason - taller resolutions/larger textures. While Legacy of the Void doesn't push the RAM envelope (unless you go 4K), ANNO 2205 can (so do Cities: Skylines and SimCity 2013), and Arkham Knight and Rainbow Six: Siege shred it.

Back