industrial pc for 80c+ temps

viper92086

Gawd
Does anyone know where i can find a laptop or desktop that is weatherproof up to 80c?

80C? *C*? Good luck with that.

I'm not as familiar with the NEBS standards levels as some here probably are, but even NEBS compliant computing gear is often only good up to 40C ambient while operating and 70C while not operating.

80 degrees Celsius? What the hell are you going to be doing with a computer that requires it to be able to withstand those temps? Assuming you could find a computer that would boot all of the chips would just overheat after a minute or so.

these pc's sit outside all year around in a fiberglass enclosure on the side of brick buildings. these enclosures have fans for ventilation. We've been having problems with our toughbooks and other industrial pcs on these hot summer days. Capacitors seem to blow with these temps causing other issues.

I'd keep the toughbooks, replace the caps with higher quality units. It's a nightmare to execute, but effective and much simpler than trying to keep a computer alive at 80C ambient. Toughbooks can be beastly.

If you're looking at a desktop unit, liquid cooling alone would probably fail since the liquid would eventually sit at ambient. Peltier could work, but you'll need to glob on a pile of sealant to prevent condensation problems at 80C, no matter how dry it is. Would need to be coupled with a liquid cooling system with a large reservoir to prevent the pelt from killing itself. It's going to suck down massive power though.

SuperMicro may have something suitable.

80C is the temperature of a car parked in the Arizona sun with the windows all rolled up. It's also often the maximum temperature rating of the wire insulation. Why not try to make those fiberglass enclosures cooler, such as by shading them or painting them white or silver?

SuperMicro may have something suitable.

80C is the temperature of a car parked in the Arizona sun with the windows all rolled up. It's also often the maximum temperature rating of the wire insulation. Why not try to make those fiberglass enclosures cooler, such as by shading them or painting them white or silver?

We can't shade them due to some restrictions and they enclosures are already white. What i tried to do is replace the standard 80mm fan they were using with a vantec tornado fan. I think this should help do the trick. If they still have cooling issues then i'm going to try to get them to install the vantec fan near the top of the box to draw air across the components. Currently the intake and exhaust are both on the bottom to keep water out. Thanks guys.

Back