Indie game: Avadon (mini review)

Megalomaniac

2[H]4U
If you liked Baldur's Gate or Icewind dale or some other RPGs of this nature, then you might want to look at Avadon. I started playing the demo on Steam (which gives you about 4 hours of game play) and purchased the game for $10 when I was done with the demo. Tell you something about the game.

I have played Exile 3 from this developer 10 years ago, and I think that Exile 3 was a better game than this, but Avadon is not really a slouch. It does feel easy at times even on Hard difficulty, but you will get pummeled in boss fights (the game cheats a little bit). The story is fun and the progress is nicely timed. You can get lost at times, but not too much. Since it's not really a huge game world, you just need to keep moving forward, talking to people and you'll be fine.

Some of the cons that I found for myself:
Your party is you and two others. It does make managing easy, but you do lack some variety.
You heal after combat ends, not really a con per say, but I did find it funny at times how I am ready for another fight 10 seconds after the boss fight. This "feature" keeps you from dying too often and keeps the game going.
I did find myself itching for a good fight and I feel that I got it only a few times.

Picked this up on Steam, then realized that it's available for the iPad. I've been playing it on the pad in bed at night before I go to sleep. (they're identical) It's quite fun actually. There are a couple of things that I think would make the game a lot better. Some atmospheric music would be nice. The music helped draw me into all of the later (6 and up) Ultima games, and added a lot to the feel of each location. It also seems like there is some potential for some decent side quests, but so far I've only been on one or two simple ones. I liked some of the ones in (once again Ultima games) where you'd get a quest early on, and have to play a significant part of the main game before you finally figured out/got what you need/etc. to finish that plot. Kept your mind going. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying Avadon.

It's kind of like a cross between a simplified Ultima, a touch of Diablo, and something in the feel of it kind of reminds me of Chip's Challenge. (old puzzle game) Can't put my finger on it, but it does. :D

Anyway, it's definitely worth $10, is easy to pick up and put down at any time, and I have to say, I really like being able to play it anywhere on my iPad2.

Back