India's $10 Laptop Is Not A Laptop?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Engadget, that $10 laptop announced in India is not a laptop at all. If their information is correct, this thing isn’t much of anything and hardly worth the $10 - $30 asking price.

The $10 laptop is not a laptop at all, the display-less and keyboard-less prototype device demonstrated is just a 10 x 5-inch wide slab that stores (and apparently prints) distributed learning materials which can later be retrieved by an impoverished child

I think they meant "laptop" in the sense that the schools in India don't have desks.

The only way it would be possible for India to actually do a "$10" laptop is if the project were heavily subsidized by their government and they dont have the cash laying around for that kind of project. Hell, my old TI-83 from college would have more power than this POC.

I guess that answers the question of how they were going to make it so cheap.

And I like how just like the OLPC which was suppose to be $99 at first then kept going up, this $10 "laptop" is now up to $30. Same would happen for the $60 real laptop they mentioned making out of it. I'd guess that too would be about 3 times as high if now more by the time they were done.

My guess is that they were calling it a laptop to get people to give them money to help invest in it. Although lieing ot investors like that is a good way to never get money again.

This is a real waste of money. Way to string investors along for this "$10" laptop... reminds me of the "true voice recognition" phone thats being touted around.

^ misunderstood. So its a portable printer?

Its kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm not seeing an actual printer build in there. It sounds more like it is just a portable harddrive that can download content on its own more than anything else.

2GB of storage space, wifi, ethernet. That is the known specs.

I might be missing something but if you still need a laptop (or any other type of computer) to connect to it to get the data what is the point of it? Why not just connect the computer/laptop to the internet and be done with it?

Even if it doesn't have a built in printer or have a printer addon you would still need to have a way to select the data to print, which is hard if you don't a screen or input method.

Lol. So let me get this straight, India's $10 dollar laptop is neither a laptop, nor $10, nor made in India? Another article says the "laptop," which really could just be a $30 box of saltines for all I know, is named "Sakshat." I don't translate Hindu very well, but it sounds like "sack of something I'd rather not step in" to me.

Hmmm, an over-promised Indian IT delivery that is under-scope, over-budget and late? Didn't see that one coming.

According to Engadget, that $10 laptop announced in India is not a laptop at all. If their information is correct, this thing isn’t much of anything and hardly worth the $10 - $30 asking price.

steve, in india $10 probably equals something like $300 US dollars.

I bet it takes them 3 months to make $10.

just make them a small fleet of Asus EEE's with like 4Gig SDHC cards as the HDD and scrap the extra crap like microphone and webcam, I bet we could get an EEE down to below 200 if we did that, and it would beat out the OLPC

steve, in india $10 probably equals something like $300 US dollars.

I bet it takes them 3 months to make $10.

That price is in US dollars. The actaul cost would be Rs 500 in their currency.

Hey I have a $1 laptop...

now however it doesn't have a screen, nor keyboard, hell doesn't even require power! It's a snapple bottle where you can take the cap off and learn some informative facts!

Hey I have a $1 laptop...

now however it doesn't have a screen, nor keyboard, hell doesn't even require power! It's a snapple bottle where you can take the cap off and learn some informative facts!

I'll have 10 pls

If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. It doesn't take a genius to realize that it's impossible to build a $10 laptop. You can get a small USB flash drive for $10, or a cheap laptop mouse... but not a whole computer.

well, 10$ would get you further than a mouse, your thinking MSRP, I think thiis project is based on manufacture costs while governments and companies eat the shipping an everything else. 10$ could get you probably half if not the whole logic board built, with a craptastic CPU and some memory too.

Whole laptop? Very doubt-able, but more than just a mouse

Back