India: Army Mistook Planets for Spy Drones

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Maybe these guys should get out more and look at the sky occasionally to avoid international border wars. The Indian Army has been monitoring what they thought to be Chinese spy drones for six months and accused China of incursions into India. Cooler heads prevailed when it was discovered the ‘drones’ were actually Jupiter and Venus. :rolleyes:

"Our task was to determine whether these unidentified objects were celestial or terrestrial," astronomer Tushar Prabhu told the paper. Only once the objects' movements were noted in relation to the stars were they identified as planets.

Maybe these guys should get out more and look at the sky occasionally to avoid international border wars. The Indian Army has been monitoring what they thought to be Chinese spy drones for six months and accused China of incursions into India. Cooler heads prevailed when it was discovered the ‘drones’ were actually Jupiter and Venus. :rolleyes:

That's just what the Men in Black told them after wiping their memory.

Um as a modest skywatcher, I would immediately know when I saw a planet, sounds like the astronomers had to watch for a few days until they noticed these bright lights were moving....

Seems like a valid source, but gotta call BS on this one.

Planets do not show up on radar, and drones do not need lights on.

I'll just leave this here.

austin-powers-the-spy-who-shagged-me-0.jpg

This is why whenever people talk about how India is going put a base on Mars soon I laugh.

How funny.

Six months!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

A cheap telescope would have verified those were planets in less than a minute. Idiots!!! :rolleyes:

I get the feeling that these people running the government of India shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects.......

Reminds me of the kestrel that was captured in Turkey and arrested for being an Israeli spy. They later determined that the bird was indeed a bird and released it. But not after subjecting it to x-rays and I presume some enhanced interrogation.

I get the feeling that these people running the government of India shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects.......

Pretty much this. The Dutch need to go over there with a few sailing ships and two dozen conquistadors in stupid looking hats to conquer them. We can't let the international helpdesk for all Dell and HP comsumer PC problems exist under such clueless leadership.

These guys have nukes and they dont even know jack shit about basic astronomy.
Horrific how idiots stand on the backs on genius and proclaim even mediocre understanding.

This one was taken by Cassini in 2006.
Earth is in this pic as well.
newrings_cassini.jpg

Their next trick: starting a nuclear war the next time an asteroid lands in India.

"Our task was to determine whether these unidentified objects were celestial or terrestrial," astronomer Tushar Prabhu told the paper. Only once the objects' movements were noted in relation to the stars were they identified as planets.

What astronomer worthy of the job title couldn't just look at the sky and go, "Yeah, those are planets guys." There are numerous star charts that could have told them this without having to note the objects movement "in relation to the stars". Do they not have the internet in India? :confused:

What astronomer worthy of the job title couldn't just look at the sky and go, "Yeah, those are planets guys." There are numerous star charts that could have told them this without having to note the objects movement "in relation to the stars". Do they not have the internet in India? :confused:

Or someone with a smart phone and Google sky installed.

Yep, there is an app for that. :p

Are they still planning to send a satellite to Mars in two months?

Back