Indefinite Prison For Suspect Who Won’t Decrypt Hard Drives

Who needs due process, juries, judgies, evidence, and all that pain in the ass, when you have "foregone conclusions"

OK lets say the drugs are in an uncrackable safe and you know they are in a safe because bloodhounds are going apeshit when they smell the safe. What now?

Then you charge with the crime with the evidence you have or don't and let the suspect go. You can't hold someone indefinitely without charging them. The length of time police can forcibly detain a suspect without charging them is measured in hours.

Makes me genuinely wonder whether the CP in question is even of real children. There's so much drawn and CGI-made stuff out there, so much Japanese anime stuff, so much that is considered "indecent depictions of children" that never involve an actual child. I'd be angry if the authorities were wasting time arresting and detaining people for such harmless crap.

But it's the discussion impossible to have without people casting vile aspersions.
I read another article that said he was caught with pictures and recordings of his own nieces. That's why his sister turned him in. So for the sake of this case, we can assume he is guilty. The question is does that change things to the point that a judge can hold him indefinitely.

Back