Indecisive on 2713H or 2713HM

csteig

n00b
Hello, I discovered this fantastic board while looking for reviews on the new Dell 27 inch UltraSharp monitors. After reading nearly every review that I could find I am more confused than when I started.

Basically I am looking for a great quality monitor that I can spend countless hours in front of a day, I am going back to school for Computer Science. Recently, I helped my employer purchase a couple of new dell computers with the “S” line monitors. I really dislike these monitors, compared to my UltraSharps their colors seem “washed out”.
Currently I have a Dell U2410 Wide-gamut monitor and an older 19 inch UltraSharp I purchased in 2004, my 19 inch is starting to fail and it is time to replace her. The 24” I purchased refurbished from Dell and had planned on purchasing the 27 inch the same way. The reviews I have read have scared me into purchasing new with a 3 year warranty instead of 90 days.

My dilemma is whether to purchase the 2713HM or 2713H. Points I need help with, because the 24” is Wide-gamut I am not sure if the 2713HM will not look as good, and is dealing with possible RMA’s worth $150 dollars. Another problem is I don’t have the expertise to calibrate monitors, heck I didn’t even know I should besides the calibration tool that comes with my NVIDIA card, and I don’t want to purchase a $250 calibration tool. My computer is a Dell Precision M4600 work station, so I do have a 10-bits per color. Although I do no photography or graphic work, I want to make sure the 24 inch monitor does not outshine my new purchase.

Please enlighten me with any words of wisdom.

If you like wide gamut colors and want to stick with the inaccurate over-saturation wide gamut displays offer, go with the U2713H.

If you want content to look like it was originally intended, get the Viewsonic VP2770, its colors are as good as the U2713HMs, it has better gaming performance and doesn't have any real quality control issues either while the U2713HM suffers from back-light bleeding, burn in and matte coating cross hatching (google this)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732378

The U2713H is actually a bad monitor if color accuracy is a concern and you don't want to spend 250$+ on a suitable colorimeter. The U2713H's hardware calibration feature doesn't work properly so you won't be able to get good sRGB colors in games. The U2713H also has almost twice as much input lag as most of the newer 2560x1440 models and way more ghosting too. It does have a game mode with lower lag but you can't change the colors using the game mode and it uses the displays native gamut too.

Most 200$-ish IPS are way better in terms of sRGB performance, black levels and gaming performance so I wouldn't worry about buying something inferior. The only aspect the U2410 excels in compared to newer (2012 & beyond) IPS/PLS are its viewing angles.

Last edited:
NCX,

Thanks for the reply and info. Decided to take a plunge and just ordered the Viewsonic through Amazon, should be here Tuesday.

damn, I wish I knew about this seasonic VP2770 monitor earlier. I think im going to sell my u2713H in favor of this Viewsonic.

Holy crap B&H has this monitor on sale for $711.

Last edited:
That is what I paid through Amazon, what do you not like about the 2713H?
I am still a little nervous buying the Viewsonic over the Dell.

Oh that's good news! Unfortunately, Amazon charges tax for me, so B&H is the better deal, despite Amazon offering Prime benefits, like 2 day free shipping

I actually am OK with the u2713h, however input lag is pretty bad and there have been other issues discussed here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1733958&highlight=u2713h

I am a gamer with PQ and high resolution on a single display in mind. The ViewSonic is the better choice for the gamer. I recently 'downgraded' to a u2312hm because of it's fantastic input lag #'s, but soon enough found out the u2412m actually has better input lag according to Prad. Then I stumbled upon NCX's recommendation of the VP 2770. 7 ms input lag is not bad at all, despite the u2312hm having about 1.1 ms. It's way better than the u2713h I own and the u2711 I used to own. I am confident 7 ms isn't THAT bad as I was fine gaming on the u2711 before; the u2713h is pushing the bounds of tolerable input lag for me. I see it as a good compromise for me, decent processing lag while being able to game on high resolution and have good PQ outside of video games.

The thing I am pretty sure the u2713h may be better at than the Viewsonic is customer service. Dell's RMA has been painless for me, I have literally been through many u2711's and already a few u2713h's and never was I given any trouble. Free pre-paid return shipping and overnight shipping of the new replacement. My average turn-around times are usually less than a week. I never had any experience with Viewsonic RMA and I don't hear much about it. I am a warranty guy, I value my products having good warranty and that's the only thing that is concerning me. I don't want to find out my monitor has a few stuck/dead pixels and then having a 2-3 week turn around time under the paid expense on my behalf; it's just a headache. I hope viewsonic's RMA procedure is as good/easy as Dell's.

Just got off the phone with a viewsonic rep, where I inquired about how warranty works. Upon creating an RMA you will need proof of purchase and there is 3 years limited-warranty; 1 year advanced replacement and 2 years repair. Within the first year, if you have a defect in the monitor, Viewsonic will send you a replacement first, paid on their behalf. Once you receive the replacement, you are liable to pay for return shipping back. Service for the 2nd and third years requires you to first send in the defective product to Viewsonic first, paid on your behalf. Once received, they will repair the product, if they cannot repair it, they will send a replacement back to you. The repaired/replacement will be shipped to you paid on Viewsonic's expense. That's the gist of it.

The rep said there is only one service center location you will be sending your defective product to and that is Walnut, CA. A big plus for someone like me who lives close, as it will shorten the turn-around time. He even mentioned you could drive to the service center to drop off the defective RMA'd product instead of shipping it.
More details here http://www.viewsonic.com/us/support/warranties/limited-warranty/

I also googled up viewsonic rma process, and the testimonials weren't so hot, then again they were also dated. So basically, again, the Viewsonic RMA process will not be as good as Dell's, but it's not necessarily horrible either, at least I hope so. I just hope when I do order I am getting a quality panel.

Last edited:

There is a reason these are cheap, and that is because they are DGM (UK only brand) rebrands which have mediocre black levels, just like the Auria models microcenter sells and NixeusView

I had one for a few weeks too, I've used many sub 250$ monitors with better color performance and it has some of the worst ghosting I have ever seen on a monitor.

Last edited:
i have had about 6 or 7 u2713hm's all of them have insane green tint.

when the green tint isnt around its the best monitor i have ever seen. unfortunately i am aware of it, and it will forever bug me.

i am trying to have dell send me a u2713h instead. as i do some photo editing and i run a fashion blog. it also performs perfectly fine in movies and games although the u2713hm is better in those areas, still the u2713h is a beast

I'm looking at the Eizo EV2736W, but it's nowhere to be found in the states. I'm leaning towards the Viewsonic VP2770... or waiting for the LG 27EA83R (the sRGB version of the 27EA83, same panel as the Dell U2713HM).

Back