Incredibly unhappy with EVGA

Derangel

Fully [H]
So normally I love EVGA and their lifetime warranty on card and their good customer service, but I'm starting to severely dislike them. I got a 570 off of another user on the forums in trade for my old 6970. The card was an RMA for a 570 he had that had went bad. I get the card and it has problems. So the user was very kind and understanding and all that and got an RMA set up with EVGA and even tossed me money to get it shipped. I get the replacement card on the 27th and don't have time to test it until the 30th. Everything seemed perfectly fine until yesterday when I was playing Dead Island.

I had some interesting texture stretching (no idea what the technical term is), but I chalked it up to Dead Island being Dead Island. Then it happened in Nuclear Dawn. It didn't happen in Red Faction Armageddon so I chalked it up to driver issues and went on my marry way. So I get home today to two screens of red and green dots (it's a little late to get into the Christmas spirit 570) and so I decided to run OC Scanner real quick. Within five seconds it registers 2109 artifacts. Also I'm getting driver crashes and video freezes, the whole nine years of bad signs.

To not make this any longer: EVGA seems to have very piss poor QA when it comes to the refurbished cards they send in replacement. I really don't want to have to put the guy I got the card from through the run about of getting another RMA for me, but I can't afford to buy a new card right now. When thing is for sure though I'm not exactly looking to buy another EVGA card.

That happened to my boss with 9800GX2s. He had three of them before EVGA sent him a 470 instead. Honestly it's a good thing I don't have the ability to call for a RMA right now. I would have bitched out the poor CSR and I hate being made at people who really have no control over this kind of stuff. The Christmas dots are gone for the moment after a driver crash, so that's something....Wait never mind I see a few. Damnit.

Is it just me or is EVGA going downhill? They used to be the best but i read there mobos arnt very good and there gpus are sliding downhill. I was just wondering on other peoples take.

Honestly today i would do MSI cards i dont think i have heard one bad thing....

BFG Still had the best tech support I have ever dealt with...EVGA was/is a very close second. I wonder what is going on over there...

Is it just me or is EVGA going downhill? They used to be the best but i read there mobos arnt very good and there gpus are sliding downhill. I was just wondering on other peoples take.

I seem to remember Sapphire poached most or all of EVGA's mobo engineers a year or two ago, that would explain those issues.

Because refurbished means it will always work 100% just as well as a new card! :rolleyes:

Because refurbished means it will always work 100% just as well as a new card! :rolleyes:

His card was an RMA replacement.
It should work like brand new.
Unfortunately he has a second owner card.....so that makes it tough.

EVGA is failing a bit lately, I agree.

I used to buy all my stuff from them, but currently I dont have a single thing.

MB is ASUS and GPUs are MSI.:D

His card was an RMA replacement.
It should work like brand new.
Unfortunately he has a second owner card.....so that makes it tough.

EVGA is failing a bit lately, I agree.

I used to buy all my stuff from them, but currently I dont have a single thing.

MB is ASUS and GPUs are MSI.:D

Haven't had an issue with EVGA, ever. Had a 7900GT die a couple of years ago that had the pencil mod done to it and was OC'ed the hell out of, got a 7950GT for it in return(when they were still new)

Doesn't matter if its a refurb or not. If they send a card in replacement it should work. They send out refurbished cards as replacements. One refurb failing, fine. It happens. A second one going down after only a couple weeks? Yeah I think it's understandable that I'm a little annoyed.

Doesn't matter if its a refurb or not. If they send a card in replacement it should work. They send out refurbished cards as replacements. One refurb failing, fine. It happens. A second one going down after only a couple weeks? Yeah I think it's understandable that I'm a little annoyed.

lol only 2 going bad.. my cousin went through 6 RMA GTX 285's from EVGA before he finally gave up. 3 of them were DOA, 1 worked but you couldn't play any games with it. another one worked fine for a week til it died and the final one the heatsink was missing 3 screws. figuring the heatsink was obviously put back on by the original owner so he took it off to find the card was severely water damaged.

lol only 2 going bad.. my cousin went through 6 RMA GTX 285's from EVGA before he finally gave up. 3 of them were DOA, 1 worked but you couldn't play any games with it. another one worked fine for a week til it died and the final one the heatsink was missing 3 screws. figuring the heatsink was obviously put back on by the original owner so he took it off to find the card was severely water damaged.

Yeah if the next one breaks I'm going to demand a different card. I won't let it get that far.

I love how you dislike them/base your opinion on their warranty on A REFURBISHED CARD.

Its been known for years that you only get refurbished cards in exchange and that they are likely to not work/break soon. Maybe buy a new card next time if you can't deal with this.

And why in the world would you do that trade? You gain no performance and lose vram.

I love how you dislike them/base your opinion on their warranty on A REFURBISHED CARD.

Its been known for years that you only get refurbished cards in exchange and that they are likely to not work/break soon. Maybe buy a new card next time if you can't deal with this.

And why in the world would you do that trade? You gain no performance and lose vram.

Learn. To. Fucking. Read. This is the THIRD bad card in a series. He bought a BRAND NEW 570 that died. The TWO RMAs have died. Also I did the trade because I wanted to go back to Nvidia and at 1080p there is no real difference.

Guy who I got the card from shot me his account info and I was able to call EVGA and get it dealt with. Accidentally gave them the wrong serial number the first time and didn't realize it so I had to call them back. After it was straightened out the tech sent me to a level 2 who authorized free shipping. So while I'm still mad about two bad RMA cards I'm still quite happy with EVGA's tech support. If the third RMA card works perfectly I'll be happy. IF.

Learn. To. Fucking. Read. This is the THIRD bad card in a series. He bought a BRAND NEW 570 that died. The TWO RMAs have died. Also I did the trade because I wanted to go back to Nvidia and at 1080p there is no real difference.

perhaos you should LTFR.

He bought a new for RMA, what we have established as used/refurbed. And im maxing out GTX480s' 1.5gb VRAM at 1080p, so yeah, it makes a difference

perhaos you should LTFR.

He bought a new for RMA, what we have established as used/refurbed. And im maxing out GTX480s' 1.5gb VRAM at 1080p, so yeah, it makes a difference

Yes good job telling me to LTFR when you don't even realize that I'm the fucking person that started the thread! Anyway I've seen no REAL WORLD performance difference between the two cards so I'm perfectly happy. Well aside from the two dead cards. And Jesus Christ excuse me for expecting a god damn RMA'd card to actually work like it's supposed to.

They hit the bottom of the barrel with their Sandy boards, it's because they lost the important part of their crew in August of 2010. Shamino went Asus, Shannon... IDK, an another guy went Biostar and the rest went Sapphire. They got new guys but haven't done anything worthwhile since the 285 Classy and the 4-way X58.

Anyway, from my experience on dealing with their support, they offer late night supports, which can be a relief. Though, those guys on the phones are part-time workers that tend to not care about their job. But if you can manage to speak with somebody like Jacob, then he'd look into everything.

They hit the bottom of the barrel with their Sandy boards, it's because they lost the important part of their crew in August of 2010. Shamino went Asus, Shannon... IDK, an another guy went Biostar and the rest went Sapphire. They got new guys but haven't done anything worthwhile since the 285 Classy and the 4-way X58.

Anyway, from my experience on dealing with their support, they offer late night supports, which can be a relief. Though, those guys on the phones are part-time workers that tend to not care about their job. But if you can manage to speak with somebody like Jacob, then he'd look into everything.

Yeah I have nothing but good things to say about the CSRs I've dealt with at EVGA. Whether it's with this RMA or other ones I've done. It's all gone well and painless. It's really the only thing that keeps me from throwing my hands up in frustration and not bothering any further.

Due to lack of VRM, I saw 590's fail in weeks time over eVGA. The 570 is also limited by VRM though not as bad as the 590. By an extreme case, that could be the reason. I personally wouldn't have gone with a reference 570 (even if I didn't OC) for the good of the card (and mind...).

eVGA offers the 570 Classy and the 560 Ti 448 Classy, both of which are based on a 580 PCB with solid coolers. Those some of the very best in their class. Actually, they're the only eVGA products that really are worthwhile. lol.

See shit like this is what makes me cringe thinking about buying a used card. I dont think I will buy another used one unless I get some kind of crazy crackhead price for it

See shit like this is what makes me cringe thinking about buying a used card. I dont think I will buy another used one unless I get some kind of crazy crackhead price for it

Yeah, I don't really buy used video cards either. There are a lot of people on the forums that overclock their video cards a lot further than I do as well. A cpu on the other hand I have no problem buying used.

Seen only a few EVGA's go bad, mostly CMOS or southbridge related, although I have seen far more Asus boards catastrophically fail.

They seem to put out a majority of cards that have a 3 year limited warranty lately over the lifetime ones, I tend to steer clear of those, although the 560 448 core is calling out to me in the last couple of weeks.

Really stupid.. the same thing could happen wtih a new card and then what?? The buyer just takes it in the ass? Maybe you bend over and take it like that but the rest of us DO NOT. Replacement cards from EVGA should be a tested working card if it is Refurbished.

Yes good job telling me to LTFR when you don't even realize that I'm the fucking person that started the thread! Anyway I've seen no REAL WORLD performance difference between the two cards so I'm perfectly happy. Well aside from the two dead cards. And Jesus Christ excuse me for expecting a god damn RMA'd card to actually work like it's supposed to.

LOL.. ok .. that crap was funny right there.. Good luck on the next card man. I hope it lasts.

Same thing happened to me which is why I dont care to much about lifetime warranties anymore.

I've had 3 EVGA cards over the years, (last one was a 7950GT) and on all 3 cards, the fans failed within a year. I haven't bought an EVGA card since.

I just bought a new 560ti sc from newegg. still shrink wrapped from evga the card was clearly used and scratched. I was going to keep it anyway for use in the step up program, but the card had a VERY loud capacitor whine in certain games/maps.

rma- the new card is not used this time, but still has capacitor whine too loud to keep for a month. I did a search, and a lot of people seem to have the same problem with the 560ti. So now I have a newegg credit and not sure which way to go. I was a big fanboy evga, y u no good :mad:

I have two EVGA 580s that I've run since launch, both overvolted+overclocked and with the fan profiles allowing them to run up to 90% fan speed, and no issues. Knock on wood :) But I've never had to deal with their RMA process.

I have bought evga products in the past and had no issues with any of their cards. I hope evga's quality isn't going downhill.. You have a ton of other manufacturers to pick from though.

Guess who repairs EVGA cards for them? The Asus RMA Center in Jeffersonville, IN. Anything coming out of this place has a 100% chance of still being broke or not fixed.

I have a client I build and repair computers for, who owns several systems with primarily EVGA products. Currently in his possession are 3 EVGA GTX580 3GB cards, 3 EVGA GTX 580 1.5 GB cards, an EVGA x58 classified, EVGA 780i motherboard, and 2 EVGA GTX 460's. This does not include past ownership. Between his inventory and other clients, I have seen a trend of repeat RMA's from EVGA. Those GTX 460's originally started as 8800GTX's, but were RMA'd so many times, they were eventually upgraded to GTX260's, and then GTX460's. One of them is currently out on it's 8th or 9th RMA. This also doesn't include multiple RMA's done on the x58 classified or one of the GTX580's.

Through out this entire process never once has an EVGA CSR refused service or been anything but courteous and professional. I still feel they have some of the best customer service in the industry. HOWEVER, whatever is going on behind the scene in their repair department needs to change. After more repeat RMA's than I can count, my only conclusion is that they might accidentally give you a working product. Several of the returned items were entirely DOA (no display output at all) and clearly not tested. So you just have to keep sending them back on their dime. If you want something working in a timely fashion (less than 1 month for example), you're better off buying a new card.

Also, I know it is standard that products sent out as RMA replacements are refurbished units. However, when you're on the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. RMA, how about offering to replace with a new product? When cards were upgraded through RMA to a newer model, those were also refurbished, and not surprisingly, also had issues. We asked outright if we could get a new product, but at most, all they would do is guarantee they were tested, which many were not.

At this point, I've stopped recommending EVGA for this reason.

LOL at original poster. "Incredibly unhappy with EVGA" when you aren't even the original purchaser. You obviously know the warrenty doesn't transfer to you so you're having the previous owner deal with it for you.

Hopefully EVGA will be alerted to this and cancel the warrenty on that card.

I stopped buying evga for their bad testing of cards and qa. My last 4 cards I bought from them had an issue of some sort and required an rma. 3 of those rma cards had issues too. Went asus on my last card and no problems.

Back