Increase disk space on C drive

tripex

Gawd
Hello my lil friends

Long time no see!

Im running into a problem on my own Windows 2003 Server.
Drive C (where the OS is) has like 3 gigs free from 10 total. Yes i know, 10 GB for the C drive isnt enough and this wasnt not planned well from the beginning.

Now my server is fully running, i have all the users set up, i cant format it or anything. So im looking for a good reliable disk utility that will help me allocate more space to the C drive.
I have free space on the same disk, but on different drive letters.

any reason why you need more space??

how about storing log files and installing things onto a different drive?

On that same drive what is the total space, how is it broken up, how much free space on each?

One quick method...move your pagefile to another partition...better yet..to a different spindle.

It's not resizing...but you'll most likely free up at least a gig or two.

Or purchase a servcer approved partition resizing sofftware, Acronis makes one ...Disk Director Server. About 5 hundge bucks though. I had to use that recently on a clients server..the prior consultants left it at the idiotic 4 gig C paritition that Dell seems to like when you purchase servers from them with the OS preinstalled. :rolleyes:

YeOldeStonecat said:
the prior consultants left it at the idiotic 4 gig C paritition that Dell seems to like when you purchase servers from them with the OS preinstalled. :rolleyes:

Isn't that really stupid? I have called dell and ordered several servers, and have asked for at least 20gb c: partition, and still get the 4gb.

Use Ghost and Ghost that partition to another HDD... make it 750GB if you want! :D

TheCreat0r said:
you could make it a dynamic disk... and expand the volume onto another harddrive.

its not possible to boot from a dynamic disk. Sorry. :)

nitrobass24 said:
On that same drive what is the total space, how is it broken up, how much free space on each?

Here's a summary:

DISK1 (total 140Gb)
===============
Drive C (10 gigs) - includes operating system - its the one i want to resize.
Drive D (40 gigs)
Drive E (10 gigs)
Drive F (80 gigs)

DISK2 (total 140 Gb)
===============
Drive G (140 gigs)

And here's a screenshot, with all the details you asked about:
my.php

I have used a utility called Gparted to resize ntfs (or pretty much anything else) partitions on the fly without damaging the data. It is a small bootable linux live cd with the Gparted util built in. I have never had a problem using it. Check it out, search gparted on google.

You can squeeze a little bit more out with file compression.
On the command line use: compact /c /s /a /i /q c:

Another one for Gparted if it works with your hardware.

I couldn't get it to work with the Gigabyte 965P DS3. This is probably because Intel yanked all the ide ports from the motherboard and them having to use an external Jmicron controller. Might also be a problem with other newer Core 2 Duo motherboards.

I would also clone the hard drive your working with and make sure the cloned hard drive also works. I've had a problem with Gparted where it corrupted a linux install. I couldn't duplicate the problem and the linux install damaged was just a test setup. You can never be too careful working with live setups.

What would you GParted users say about using it on a Dell Poweredge 2850 with perc4i SCSI controller with 3x 74g fujitsu drives and a NTFS partition? I've got the above server as a domain controller and I need to resize the only partition on it since I expanded the raid array after creating the partition. Needless to say, this is a pretty important partition to me and I want to make sure its a completely safe operation before I resize the thing.

dekard said:
What would you GParted users say about using it on a Dell Poweredge 2850 with perc4i SCSI controller with 3x 74g fujitsu drives and a NTFS partition? I've got the above server as a domain controller and I need to resize the only partition on it since I expanded the raid array after creating the partition. Needless to say, this is a pretty important partition to me and I want to make sure its a completely safe operation before I resize the thing.

I honestly don't know, but it should be relatively easy to find out. Check the information on the page I linked to above, or dig around on some of the *nix boards.

I can say that GParted is safe, typically on startup it will determine if the operation you have in mind is safe, and if not, it will disable that perticular menu item.

GParted is awesome because it's totally free.

GParted is also DOG SLOW, at least on my rig. It takes HOURS to resize even smallish (8 - 10GB) partitions. Partition Magic is probably 4X as fast (or better). I don't know if it's just that GParted doesn't like my motherboard's SATA/IDE controllers, or it's this slow for everyone.

But hey it's free and works pretty reliably.

+1 more for Gparted

I have never had Gparted be slow, its actually the fastest formatter I have ever used. It formatted my 500GB hdd pretty quick. I just used it the other day to format my laptop for a dual boot system. I had to delete a partition and create and then format 3 partitions on a 60GB hdd. This only took about 30 seconds. You can also create just about any filesystem you wanted. You can also resize partitions :)

I wouldn't call it exactly slow, but that's just my experience. It is a little faster on some machines than others, so I do think hardware can have some effects on speed.

Just use Paragon Harddisk manager. It's cheap, fast and reliable and one of the best programs i've ever bought if you actually see what you get compared to other hdd management software.

the 2005 version is free here
(got off SD)
ignore the time-limited demo, about half way down there is a link for a free serial code
worked out fine for me

Back