Incorrect characters in Word 2002

sm8000

Gawd
I'm trying to help a user at my office, who has received a Word document from a co-worker and some characters are not displaying correctly. For example, circles that are meant to be filled in are appearing as capital Fs. Like this:

Pic

Also, some apostrophes (') are appearing as equal signs (=) but not all.

So far, I've checked that the writer is using MS Word 02 (yep), I've run Detect & Repair, deleted all normal.dot templates, uninstalled and reinstalled, and applied Office XP SP3. Nothing working so far.

Sounds like they created the doc with a font that your user doesn't have.

If you try opening the file with notepad, you might be able to dig through all the garbage and see what font was originally being used. I think you'd need the original, untampered file before you tried fixing it.

sm8000 said:
I'm trying to help a user at my office, who has received a Word document from a co-worker and some characters are not displaying correctly. For example, circles that are meant to be filled in are appearing as capital Fs. Like this:

Pic

Also, some apostrophes (') are appearing as equal signs (=) but not all.

So far, I've checked that the writer is using MS Word 02 (yep), I've run Detect & Repair, deleted all normal.dot templates, uninstalled and reinstalled, and applied Office XP SP3. Nothing working so far.
Well.... you could try having the co-worker change the font of the whole doc to a common font such as Arial and resend.

Thanks guys, these are all terrific ideas. I can't believe the font possibility didn't occur to me. I'll try these out on Monday. Glad I posted! :)

It was the WordPerfect Typographic Symbols font. All is fixed now, thanks again.

Back