Incoming PS5 News Tomorrow at 9 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse console presentation period, yes even including the miss steps with the Xbox one reveal. I hope its just them not trying to reveal much but kill the non-stop xbox talk.

His Road to PS4 was way better I dunno, as expected the GPU is weaker (probably CPU as well), but the SSD could be 2x faster.
What bothers me is the variable rates of the GPU/CPU. I’m still day 1 but something tells me they focused on the wrong things this time around.

I mean a hard 4K workload on a third party title might see the PS5 being 25% slower than the Xbox Series X.

That’s a significant drop off.

Proof of what, exactly? Have you not paid attention to MS' marketing or the marketing for PSNow?
Neither of which account for a bulk of their profits. YOU may want BC and i don't doubt others want it, but in the grand scheme, its a drop in the bucket and rarely a market moving factor. Period.

I have to say it again, there is so much relying on the cooling of this thing now.

His Road to PS4 was way better I dunno, as expected the GPU is weaker (probably CPU as well), but the SSD could be 2x faster.
What bothers me is the variable rates of the GPU/CPU. I’m still day 1 but something tells me they focused on the wrong things this time around.

CPU is only around 300Mhz slower than the SX (with SMT off), assuming it can stay at it's peak frequency. If they use the same boost behavior as Zen 2 normally does, then things could get a bit messy on the performance front.

Neither of which account for a bulk of their profits. YOU may want BC and i don't doubt others want it, but in the grand scheme, its a drop in the bucket and rarely a market moving factor. Period.

It's a big enough market for MS to focus heavily on it and for Sony to use it to try and sell people on PSNow. Do you really think MS would spend who the heck knows how much money on tech to make older generation games look and run better if they didn't think it would sell systems?

CPU is only around 300Mhz slower than the SX (with SMT off), assuming it can stay at it's peak frequency. If they use the same boost behavior as Zen 2 normally does, then things could get a bit messy on the performance front.

It's a big enough market for MS to focus heavily on it and for Sony to use it to try and sell people on PSNow. Do you really think MS would spend who the heck knows how much money on tech to make older generation games look and run better if they didn't think it would sell systems?

Guess we have to agree do disagree. BC has been a bitching point for every console gen for the past 20 years and it's never fully supported, wonder why. Makes sense from an arch standpoint now with x86 etc to have incremental console upgrades, but it is still not a main selling point.

Sooooo boring and I look at build evaluations for fun. I hope they factor in people like to make their consoles into little ovens by putting them in small spaces with terrible ventilation. If not those boost speeds are gonna be limited.

As per Euro Gamer heat is NOT a factor for boost

Boost is purely based on total power consumption of GPU + CPU & game workloads (CPU driven or GPU driven)

Guess we have to agree do disagree. BC has been a bitching point for every console gen for the past 20 years and it's never fully supported, wonder why. Makes sense from an arch standpoint now with x86 etc to have incremental console upgrades, but it is still not a main selling point.

"Wonder why"? Umm....Because the PS3 was stupid expensive for it's time and Sony was forced to remove PS2 hardware in order to reduce costs so they could lower the price of the system without taking even more of a hit per console sold. The PS2 had full PS1 BC. The PS3 still retained full (for the most part) BC with PS1 titles. Sony started selling PS1 games digitally as well.

Why would they? I barely have a want/need for PS4 BC other than maybe GT. Majority of gamers don't care.
I agree with this but people are weird about bc. They demand it while majority of people will not even use it outside short nostalgic bursts.

I’m going to assume to take full advantage of their 3D audio solution you’re going to need a licensed pair of headphones. Trying to find a sweet spot to sit in for speakers might get annoying.

I’m going to assume to take full advantage of their 3D audio solution you’re going to need a licensed pair of headphones. Trying to find a sweet spot to sit in for speakers might get annoying.
People are more willing to allow for cameras and sensors in their living areas nowadays. Could just do that for head tracking.

Proof of what, exactly? Have you not paid attention to MS' marketing or the marketing for PSNow?

All the hype for PSnow is just a coverup. After five years, the service has only 1 million paying subscribers.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-30-playstation-now-hits-1-million-subscribers

Compare to Playstation Plus, which has 39 million subscribers.

Doesn't sound to me like backwards compatibility is more than an afterthought to Playsyation users. Might be more for Microsoft, but they're not really winning the console sales competition on that feature.

Remember when the PS4 was the best launch Sony ever had? It was also the first launch they ever made of a sequel console without backward-compatibility. It doesn't matter to a majority of their dedicated fans.

All the hype for PSnow is just a coverup. After five years, the service has only 1 million paying subscribers.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-30-playstation-now-hits-1-million-subscribers

Compare to Playstation Plus, which has 39 million subscribers.

Doesn't sound to me like backwards compatibility is more than an afterthought to Playsyation users. Might be more for Microsoft, but they're not really winning the console sales competition on that feature.

Remember when the PS4 was the best launch Sony ever had? It was also the first launch they ever made of a sequel console without backward-compatibility. It doesn't matter to a majority of their dedicated fans.

Well, yeah. PSNow was kind of crap for a long time. It wasn't until they started migrating to MS' Azure servers that things got better.

Well, yeah. PSNow was kind of crap for a long time. It wasn't until they started migrating to MS' Azure servers that things got better.

It's probably true, as they've bumped up subscriptions 300k in the last 6 months.

But most launch buyers aren't going to grab it because it plays PS4 games. I'm probably going to pick one up (my first Sony console), but only once they release the slim version. I never have a reason to play multi platform games on a console - my HTPC does that just fine (with the superior Xbox controller, or keyboard + mouse).

There's a small list of decent looking PS4 exclusives, so I will definitely jump in for the compatibility (and future titles)

It's probably true, as they've bumped up subscriptions 300k in the last 6 months.

Buut most launch buyers aren't going to grab it because it plays PS4 games. I'm probably going to pick one up (my first Sony console), but only once thery release the slim version. I never have a reason to play multilatform games on a console - my HTPC does that just fine.

What else are people going to play on launch? Unless Sony and MS come out of the gate swinging, it's mostly going to be PS4 and older Xbox games to play on the new systems.

Looks decent. Didn't see anything mind blowing, and lack of full BC is a bummer but I understand.

At least you can add your own NVMe drive on the PS5. That is a pretty big plus.

What else are people going to play on launch? Unless Sony and MS come out of the gate swinging, it's mostly going to be PS4 and older Xbox games to play on the new systems.

The same thing they did with PS4 launch : third party titles.

As long as there's the promise of future titles, and there's a noticeable performance improvement over last gen, early laucnh buyers are in automatically.

There weren't a ton on the PS4 launch. The best thing at launch was that free game Sony was giving away with Plus. I forgot what it was called, but I did enjoy it.

There weren't a ton on the PS4 launch. The best thing at launch was that free game Sony was giving away with Plus. I forgot what it was called, but I did enjoy it.

And yet, can you counter that fact that PS4 was Sony's strongest sales launch to this day? People will buy a new console just ta test out the new hotness, - even if it's just one or two games.

Remember when Zelda was a Switch system seller (also no backward compatibility)? All you need is a couple decent third-party games (plus the right performance jump for the right price)for the same justification.

Last edited:
And yet, can you counter that fact that PS4 was Sony's strongest sales launch to this day? People will buy thee console just ta test out the new hotness, - even if it's just one or two games.

Remember when Zelda was a Switch system seller? All you need is a couple decent third-party games for the same justification.

True, but the PS4 was also the first Sony launch without massive supply problems brought on by manufacturing. There were still supply issues from people buying, but there were a lot more available.

Launch systems generally tend to sell out regardless of games. Not really sure if it's indicative of much besides marketing.

Resogun? If so, that was a treat.

In some ways, I'd see a dearth of launch titles as a good thing. It's become almost cliché that the launch games for a console largely suck: there's the hastily cobbled-together tech demo, the 3D platformer that tries to recreate Super Mario 64's role as a system seller, the barely-better-than-last-gen sequel... at least here you won't feel pressured into buying a game you're ambivalent about just to have something to play.

Resogun? If so, that was a treat.

In some ways, I'd see a dearth of launch titles as a good thing. It's become almost cliché that the launch games for a console largely suck: there's the hastily cobbled-together tech demo, the 3D platformer that tries to recreate Super Mario 64's role as a system seller, the barely-better-than-last-gen sequel... at least here you won't feel pressured into buying a game you're ambivalent about just to have something to play.

That's the one!

IIRC what they really did with the PS4 launch was have MS shoot themselves in both feet.

Initially there aren't many exclusives for either system, but Microsoft had debacle of a launch.

Just like PS3 had a debacle of a launch and took what? 7 years to catch up with Xbox? That isn't exactly a strong showing for games overwhelming HW, or bad launches.

I agree that Sony probably has a stronger position if all else is equal, on the HW/Launch front, but they have also shown that when they blow the launch they can squander that advantage.

So far, Microsoft looks ready(showing actual HW, and gameplay), with stronger HW, Sony looks unready with weaker HW.

Microsoft definitely seems stronger. Better specs, release of footage that looks amazing, all the new features (resume, etc.), full BC. I mean, it's a pretty strong show.

But Sony's play may be to beat them on price. My guess is that the PS5 will be $499 and the XSX $599. That could lead to a big boost on PS5 sales.

There were quite a few third-party games, actually, especially compared to PS3:
  1. Angry Birds Star Wars
  2. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  3. Battlefield 4
  4. Blacklight Retribution
  5. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  6. Contrast
  7. DC Universe Online
  8. FIFA 14
  9. Injustice: Gods Among Us
  10. Just Dance 2014
  11. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
  12. Madden NFL 25
  13. NBA 2K14
  14. Need for Speed: Rivals
  15. Skylanders: Swap Force
  16. Trine 2
  17. Warframe
On PS3 at launch:
  1. Call of Duty 3
  2. Madden NFL 07
  3. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
  4. Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
  5. NBA 07
  6. NBA 2K7
  7. Need for Speed: Carbon
  8. NHL 2K7
  9. Ridge Racer 7
  10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
  11. Tony Hawk's Project 8

How likely is it that these things are shipping the exact same APU? With MS getting the uncut, and Sony getting the cut? That would be a Laugh!

All Sony talked about that was special today was their SSD controller, but that's usually located in the m.2 card's package. Doubt it's integrated.

I dunno, MS' response to the RROD fiasco was pretty stellar. I can't remember the exact details, but remember getting a new console was a painless (and free) affair. Still, I had about three original 360 consoles and all of them would eventually RROD. The S revision worked flawlessly, though.
I agree, I got 2 free Xbox’s and they are both are still in use.

How likely is it that these things are shipping the exact same APU? With MS getting the uncut, and Sony getting the cut? That would be a Laugh!

All Sony talked about that was special today was their SSD controller, but that's usually located in the m.2 card's package. Doubt it's integrated.

The controller is on the console and that's why they need to test and work with ssd manufacturers to actually certify compatible ones, basically they need controllers that are willing to relent control over to the console's special one over their standard integrated solution.

MS is going for 2.4 gbps with 2x compression while Sony is going for 5.5 with 1.65x compression, both with special hardware decompression, that said Jason Schreier tweeted that he shouldn't be the one to point out that Sony failed to show to fans how that massive SSD speed affects gaming since that is what apparently has developers excited about.

I'm in wait and see mode, expecting no secret sauce at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back