Incoming PS5 News Tomorrow at 9 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the GC really more powerful? Didn’t the format of the disc hurt them?

Also I’ve always considered PS3 to be more powerful than the Xbox 360. Could have just been an assumption though.

The Cube was powerful, maybe not so much on paper, but it was much much easier on developers. In fact, the following console, Wii, was basically the Gamecube with motion control.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_(graphics_chip)
The smaller 1.5GB discs were still sufficient for that era. Some of the best looking games from the gen game from Gamecube despite a lack of 3rd party software.

Similar story for the Xbox 360. The PS4 was better on paper in some ways, but the Xenos gpu was much easier to develop for. The shared 512MB ram also helped.

They can have a different CU count, but the CUs themselves are the same. Similar for the RT core equivalent.
You might be right, but I feel like there are more variables than just CU count, same way teraflops don't tell the whole story.

It's guessed from comments of insiders that Sony asked for their personal changes at the RT side of the rdna2 hardware to improve its performance and it was why an ex Sony engineer poked the series X reveal in December asking specifically how many rays per second it could handle at how many bounces.

Still most of us won't notice in most cases is the final message that 3rd parties have been leaking. So, every box will win in some category but in the final picture we shouldn't be able to tell since the full package is in diminishing returns land.

I think if the differences are marginal or at worse the equivalent of Xbox One/PS4 and Sony has a ridiculous I/O implementation that is noticeable it might change the game so to speak. Last gen the only measurable difference were graphics. So we had to compare 900p to 1080p or what have you.

We may end up where SSD speed and loading become a new measuring stick alongside graphic quality.

You might be right, but I feel like there are more variables than just CU count, same way teraflops don't tell the whole story.

Sure, if you are comparing different architectures, but when comparing the same architecture(RDNA2), it really is CU X clock-speed, and the one with the higher number will be the winner. Naturally you could screw that up but starving it of memory bandwidth, but with the importance of these releases, it's not like they would botch something that basic.

Sony must be really confident in what they have when releasing their info days after MS. I got a feeling Sony will have the more powerful system otherwise they wouldn't be releasing info so soon after MS.

Sony must be really confident in what they have when releasing their info days after MS. I got a feeling Sony will have the more powerful system otherwise they wouldn't be releasing info so soon after MS.

Doubtful but, we will see tonight.

I always just subscribe to the idea to just get the console with the games you like. Doesn't matter if the console is the equivalent of a Cray Super Computer in hardware if it doesn't have any good games for it.
1584536006878.png

One thing I always liked about PS was the ability to upgrade storage easily (PS3 and later). The fact that the new XB has those proprietary storage tabs is bad for the consumer. If you can drop in your own 2-4TB NVMe drive in the PS5 over the lifespan of the device, that's a win in my book.

I don't anticipate much difference in specs otherwise.
The Series X still supports external storage expansion through USB 3.2.
No, the RROD was a disaster. I got my 360 replaced once, but they denied my RMA when it died a second time (I think the warranty only covered 3 years or something like that).

I just said screw it, I wasn't going to buy another one after that service, I played on PC. However, my brother knew how to fix them (he had a side business going on) and he was able to repair it.

In any case, it was really bad. Especially after the news came that MS knew about it before launch and shipped it anyway with a huge flaw.
Weird. I had to RMA four (!) Xbox 360 consoles for the RROD and was never denied. That included one Premium three times, another Premium twice, and a Core twice.

Some of my best memories were playing my red (Jasper guaranteed) Xbox 360 in the barracks over Live with my buddies back home. I was old enough to go to the bars, but that was far more fun and cheaper. Good times.

71thPLnonQL._AC_SL1284_.jpg

The Series X still supports external storage expansion through USB 3.2.

Sort of. According to Digital Foundry the Expansion Card will be the only external solution that will both store and launch Series X games. USB external drives can store Series X games, but not launch them. USB external drives can be used to both store and launch games from older generations though.

No, the RROD was a disaster. I got my 360 replaced once, but they denied my RMA when it died a second time (I think the warranty only covered 3 years or something like that).

I just said screw it, I wasn't going to buy another one after that service, I played on PC. However, my brother knew how to fix them (he had a side business going on) and he was able to repair it.

In any case, it was really bad. Especially after the news came that MS knew about it before launch and shipped it anyway with a huge flaw.

Yet, the RROD was only on the initial console. I have the Slim myself and have had no issues whatsoever. (I even bought it as a refurbished unit.) Heck, that was nearly 12 or 13 years ago, ancient history in gaming terms.

Yet, the RROD was only on the initial console. I have the Slim myself and have had no issues whatsoever. (I even bought it as a refurbished unit.) Heck, that was nearly 12 or 13 years ago, ancient history in gaming terms.

You only get 1 chance to make a 1st impression. Between the RROD and the Kinect pricing on the XB1, it's not like MS knows how to come off with a good 1st impression in the last two tries. Hopefully this one is different. So far, I like what I see though.

Sort of. According to Digital Foundry the Expansion Card will be the only external solution that will both store and launch Series X games. USB external drives can store Series X games, but not launch them. USB external drives can be used to both store and launch games from older generations though.

Yeah, my guess is new Series X games will take too long load off of and HDD. Although, I wonder if an external SSD would be supported through the USB 3.2 ports for Series X Games?

Yeah, my guess is new Series X games will take too long load off of and HDD. Although, I wonder if an external SSD would be supported through the USB 3.2 ports for Series X Games?

I hope so, because I really doubt these expansion cards will be anything close to cheap.

USB 3.2 has 2.5 GB/s max bandwidth, so if there is an external SSD made fully supporting it there should be no issue if Microsoft allows it. You can always still use the internal drive for the Velocity Architecture while the main game files are read off the external.

Why do they have fake people in the foreground lol. Should have been like a Nintendo Direct.

SSD is superior to MS.

Why do they have fake people in the foreground lol. Should have been like a Nintendo Direct.

SSD is superior to MS.

Faster SSD, with less storage (825GB vs 1TB). Less CUs on the GPU vs the XSX, but faster core speed.

Why do they have fake people in the foreground lol

They're just running out the presentation they had already planned and run past lawyers etc. It gives a better look than the xperia 1 mark II where they had to do the same thing but didn't use a fake crowd IMO.

Faster SSD, with less storage (825GB vs 1TB). Less CUs on the GPU vs the XSX, but faster core speed.

yep about 15% slower if my math is right. That’s at max boost, could be 25% slower at higher workloads.

It is. Was mentioned last year and re-confirmed a couple times during the talk.
Unfortunately no other backward compatibility was talked about. The Series X works with One, 360, and OG games. It also is going a step further by adding 4K and HDR to all games with their machine learning algorithms.

Not a fan of this huge Sound push. I sincerely doubt any third parties are going to use it. Just like the Sony Gold/Platinum headset profiles.

I'm an admitted Sony fanboy, but jesus this guy presenting is the worst.

Sooooo boring and I look at build evaluations for fun. I hope they factor in people like to make their consoles into little ovens by putting them in small spaces with terrible ventilation. If not those boost speeds are gonna be limited.

Unfortunately no other backward compatibility was talked about. The Series X works with One, 360, and OG games. It also is going a step further by adding 4K and HDR to all games with their machine learning algorithms.

Yeah. I expected Sony to not support BC beyond the PS4. Not when they have PSNow to push. I'd hope Sony plans to do something similar to MS, otherwise they're going to have a tough sell unless they can massively undercut on price.

Yeah. I expected Sony to not support BC beyond the PS4. Not when they have PSNow to push. I'd hope Sony plans to do something similar to MS, otherwise they're going to have a tough sell unless they can massively undercut on price.
Why would they? I barely have a want/need for PS4 BC other than maybe GT. Majority of gamers don't care.

Not a fan of this huge Sound push. I sincerely doubt any third parties are going to use it. Just like the Sony Gold/Platinum headset profiles.
We've had surround sound for over 20 years now and most developers still don't get it right. Most of the time it is just expanded stereo with neglected channels.

Why would they? I barely have a want/need for PS4 BC other than maybe GT. Majority of gamers don't care.

It has been a huge selling point for MS this generation. So much so that they're pushing it further for the SX. If "most gamers" didn't care then the effort wouldn't be put in for it like it has been. Let's not forget that playing older titles was one of the key selling points of PSNow as well. So, obviously, there is a big market for it.

It has been a huge selling point for MS this generation. So much so that they're pushing it further for the SX. If "most gamers" didn't care then the effort wouldn't be put in for it like it has been. Let's not forget that playing older titles was one of the key selling points of PSNow as well. So, obviously, there is a big market for it.
Proof? Most gamers care about the latest COD, forza, etc, etc. Love to see the numbers of gamers who bought because of BC. Money is made off of software. How many BC titles had huge sales because of that support?

Proof? Most gamers care about the latest COD, forza, etc, etc. Love to see the numbers of gamers who bought because of BC. Money is made off of software. How many BC titles had huge sales because of that support?

Proof of what, exactly? Have you not paid attention to MS' marketing or the marketing for PSNow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back