Incoming PS5 News Tomorrow at 9 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

nguyen704

[H]ard|Gawd
2020-03-17_0913.png

I was impressed by the specs for the Xbox Series X that was revealed yesterday. I'm hoping Sony's new console can match or surpass it.

I was impressed by the specs for the Xbox Series X that was revealed yesterday. I'm hoping Sony's new console can match or surpass it.

Should be interesting. XBSX exceeded my expectations, I don't think there is much room left for Sony to surpass them. I am just hoping they don't fall short, and make it a one console race.

Should be interesting. XBSX exceeded my expectations, I don't think there is much room left for Sony to surpass them. I am just hoping they don't fall short, and make it a one console race.
Honestly it already is a one console race if Sony pumps out the exclusives like they did with the PS4. Even it does turn out less powerful then the Xbox Sony will crush MS again.

Honestly it already is a one console race if Sony pumps out the exclusives like they did with the PS4. Even it does turn out less powerful then the Xbox Sony will crush MS again.
Yep. Power is irrelevant without games.

Looking forward to it - Cerny gives off major creeper vibes but I'm a nerd for new console hardware.

I'm curious to see if Sony will go a more traditional design (rectangle VCR) or change it up a bit like the XSX. Spec-wise, I'm not expecting much difference - though I bet Sony will go for a more traditional SSD approach and, hopefully, still include the ability for users to upgrade the internal HDD easily.

Not being a gamer what's the history between the two? One historically been better?

They're the two most directly comparable systems, often running the same games. They've been rivals since... well, the original Xbox, really. Microsoft thrived in the Xbox 360 era, but squandered that lead with the Xbox One (in part because of its attempt to use the Xbox as a Trojan horse for Windows in the living room). Sony did flounder with the PS3 (it was too expensive at first, and harder to develop for), but as a general rule it's been dominant. The Xbox often sells relatively poorly outside of North America since Microsoft often has trouble courting developers or touting its brand beyond its home turf.

PS2 v Xbox
PS2 won.

Ps3 v Xbox 360
Xbox 360 won.

PS4 v Xbox1
PS4 won.

"Won" really does not mean anything in the console race, since it is never ending. Perhaps if you think of it in the terms of who made it to the check points first, that would seem to make more sense. :D :)

"Won" really does not mean anything in the console race, since it is never ending. Perhaps if you think of it in the terms of who made it to the check points first, that would seem to make more sense. :D :)
It also completely discounts Nintendo’s presence as well.
I just buy all the consoles and have for a long time except for the wiiu that shit never made sense to me. The switch is dope.

Not being a gamer what's the history between the two? One historically been better?

It depends on what games you like.

Playstation has great exclusives, big blockbuster type games.
Nintendo has Nintendo games.
Xbox has a few decent exclusives, but most of their games can be played on PC. So if you have a decent gaming PC, you don't need an Xbox.

Part of the reason Sony Dominated with PS4 is that Microsoft bungled the XB1 launch, much like Sony bungled PS3 before that.

Define "better." Hardware wise there really hasn't been a clear trend.
PS2 v Xbox
PS2 won.

Ps3 v Xbox 360
Xbox 360 won.

PS4 v Xbox1
PS4 won.
From a sales perspective, yes. From a hardware perspective:

Gamecube > Xbox > PS2
Xbox 360 ≈ PS3 > Wii
Xbox One X > PS4 Pro > PS4 > Xbox One > Wii U ≈ Switch

Gamecube > Xbox > PS2
Xbox 360 ≈ PS3 > Wii
Was the GC really more powerful? Didn’t the format of the disc hurt them?

Also I’ve always considered PS3 to be more powerful than the Xbox 360. Could have just been an assumption though.

Gamecube > Xbox > PS2
Xbox 360 ≈ PS3 > Wii

Exactly, but obviously we all know Titles > hardware, especially when they aren't all released at the same time. Hard to quantify better hardware when it comes a year or two later.

Also I’ve always considered PS3 to be more powerful than the Xbox 360. Could have just been an assumption though.
The IPC of the PowerPC in it was insane, toppling the Celeron found in the Xbox at half the clock speed. The ATi Flipper GPU was also highly optimized for shader assembly, so even though it had slower triangle and texture fill rates than the GF3 in the Xbox its pixel rate could match and even surpass it in some instances.

Overall hardware between the PS3 and 360 it was a wash. Total system performance between the two of them was around 230 GFLOP/s.

Part of the reason Sony Dominated with PS4 is that Microsoft bungled the XB1 launch, much like Sony bungled PS3 before that.
Nah it was a tie basically by the end of the generation. The 360 only did well in the states. The PS3 owned the rest of the world pretty much.

Eh it is a wash spec wise between the 2. I think the PS3 had more potential that only 1st party developers could harness. While 3rd party developers struggled with it dearly. The 360 on the other hand was a piece of cake for all developers.

With all the studios MS has picked up they have a chance to really build a strong 1st part portfolio. The only question is what they're going to do with them.

exactly...it won't matter if Xbox has the more powerful hardware if Sony continues to produce the exclusives that everyone wants to play...I can't wait for Sony to drop the nuke and start announcing Uncharted 5, Bloodborne 2, Demon's Souls remaster etc...the fact that they are so confident in their games that they can release Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima etc for current gen consoles shows that they are not worried

PS2 v Xbox
PS2 won.

Ps3 v Xbox 360
Xbox 360 won.

PS4 v Xbox1
PS4 won.

Sony has won all console races in worldwide sales, it’ll be incredibly hard for MS to push systems to countries outside the US.

They got lucky with the PS3, if it wasn’t for the rebrand, price drops and avalanche of exclusives MS would have won with just the US alone.

If we thought the Xbone and PS4 were similar I think this generation will be even more so. I do however expect MS to have the more powerful console in terms of teraflops. I’m expecting 9.2 as rumors suggest, be around the same for CPU but have a far better I/O solution in terms of specs.

Im not willing to bet on their memory subsystem approach. I was surprised MS did what they did and they straight up said it was the only way to make it work.

Get hype. I'm really, really, hoping for all previous Playstation compatibility.

That and some surprise. Maybe a demo video (they haven't released any footage, have they?).

With all the studios MS has picked up they have a chance to really build a strong 1st part portfolio. The only question is what they're going to do with them.

Indeed. With luck MS will just provide cash and let the developers do their thing. Seems to be what Sony does.

Sony has won all console races in worldwide sales, it’ll be incredibly hard for MS to push systems to countries outside the US.

They got lucky with the PS3, if it wasn’t for the rebrand, price drops and avalanche of exclusives MS would have won with just the US alone.

If we thought the Xbone and PS4 were similar I think this generation will be even more so. I do however expect MS to have the more powerful console in terms of teraflops. I’m expecting 9.2 as rumors suggest, be around the same for CPU but have a far better I/O solution in terms of specs.

Im not willing to bet on their memory subsystem approach. I was surprised MS did what they did and they straight up said it was the only way to make it work.
MSFT also bungled up all of their goodwill with RROD on the Xbox360.

"If you lose, say the race doesn't matter, because hey man, what is winning, anyway? Aren't we all winners - and losers - in a way?"

That said, I don't care about sales numbers because that only matters if you're a stockholder; I care about Microsoft's lack of firstparty library with the XB One; hope that's different with Series X.

Except that the race is far from over. The only way one would "win" is if the other is no longer in the race and that is not even the case here, at all.

My expectations from insiders: slightly seemingly weaker hardware but potentially better RT solution, better ssd interface and more ram. (this is ps5 VS Xbox)
In the great scheme of things, it will barely be noticeable if you zoom in screenshots which is which.

One thing I always liked about PS was the ability to upgrade storage easily (PS3 and later). The fact that the new XB has those proprietary storage tabs is bad for the consumer. If you can drop in your own 2-4TB NVMe drive in the PS5 over the lifespan of the device, that's a win in my book.

I don't anticipate much difference in specs otherwise.

Good response by Sony, we've been waiting for more. Series X looks awesome and Microsoft did a phenomenal job with the design.

Early indications showed that Sony's GPU will be slightly less powerful than the Xbox Series X.

Sony is doing fine with the lower powered PS4 Pro, I don't see why PS5 would be any different. Sony is the king of games and that's what sells systems. I have a feeling this generation will be the end of the hardware war. You could even make the point that last gen (Xbox One/PS4) was the end. Systems are now just lower spec PC's which is good for everyone, including PC gamers.

MSFT also bungled up all of their goodwill with RROD on the Xbox360.

I dunno, MS' response to the RROD fiasco was pretty stellar. I can't remember the exact details, but remember getting a new console was a painless (and free) affair. Still, I had about three original 360 consoles and all of them would eventually RROD. The S revision worked flawlessly, though.

No, the RROD was a disaster. I got my 360 replaced once, but they denied my RMA when it died a second time (I think the warranty only covered 3 years or something like that).

I just said screw it, I wasn't going to buy another one after that service, I played on PC. However, my brother knew how to fix them (he had a side business going on) and he was able to repair it.

In any case, it was really bad. Especially after the news came that MS knew about it before launch and shipped it anyway with a huge flaw.

who's going to have the better ray-tracing implementation?

Same GPU vendor means it's almost certainly the same RT implementation. Whichever one has the more powerful overall GPU will have a similar edge in RT performance.

Same GPU vendor means it's almost certainly the same RT implementation. Whichever one has the more powerful overall GPU will have a similar edge in RT performance.
Not necessarily. Xbox and PS are both using AMD, but it doesn't mean they are running exactly the same hardware. Both companies have probably heavily customized it to their needs.

My guess is that Xbox is faster, based on the leaks and rumors we've seen so far, but it's really anybody's game at this point until we have the machines out and tested independently (like from Digital Foundry).

Not necessarily. Xbox and PS are both using AMD, but it doesn't mean they are running exactly the same hardware. Both companies have probably heavily customized it to their needs.

My guess is that Xbox is faster, based on the leaks and rumors we've seen so far, but it's really anybody's game at this point until we have the machines out and tested independently (like from Digital Foundry).

They can have a different CU count, but the CUs themselves are the same. Similar for the RT core equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back