INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD - any ideas on fixing it?

wyqtor

Limp Gawd
One of my client's new computers (Asus H110M-K with a Pentium G4400) with Windows 10 is stuck in a reboot cycle with this BSOD. I suspect two possible causes: either M$ dropped the ball with one of the many Spectre/Meltdown patches or my client was impatient and pulled the plug on her computer during an update.

I tried Windows Repair, but it didn't work (thanks a lot M$!)

The SSD with the OS is fine, and while googling for a solution I found this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-update-causing-inaccessible-boot-device-error-windows-10

While I didn't find any update that was pending install, I did uninstall the last update from the recovery command line prompt using dism, and lo and behold, Windows booted normally! The thing is, the solution is temporary - the problem returns right after the first reboot, AS IF there was an update still stuck in the update queue, one that keeps getting applied and keeps ruining the system no matter what I do.

I would rather avoid reinstalling Windows because my client has some applications on it that will be a pain to reinstall.

Is there any way to fix the problem and keep it fixed?

One of my client's new computers (Asus H110M-K with a Pentium G4400) with Windows 10 is stuck in a reboot cycle with this BSOD. I suspect two possible causes: either M$ dropped the ball with one of the many Spectre/Meltdown patches or my client was impatient and pulled the plug on her computer during an update.

I tried Windows Repair, but it didn't work (thanks a lot M$!)

The SSD with the OS is fine, and while googling for a solution I found this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-update-causing-inaccessible-boot-device-error-windows-10

While I didn't find any update that was pending install, I did uninstall the last update from the recovery command line prompt using dism, and lo and behold, Windows booted normally! The thing is, the solution is temporary - the problem returns right after the first reboot, AS IF there was an update still stuck in the update queue, one that keeps getting applied and keeps ruining the system no matter what I do.

I would rather avoid reinstalling Windows because my client has some applications on it that will be a pain to reinstall.

Is there any way to fix the problem and keep it fixed?
try that again and then clear all the update files (net stop wuauserv etc etc)

Do what PenDragon said. I had the same situation on home computer. I force Windows Update to stop and then manually did updates with Windows Offline Update.

Back