In Windows 7, why do I have the option to eject my boot drive?

SATA supports hot-swapping of any drive that's using AHCI. You can get rid of that option by going to Device Manager, selecting the boot drive in the drop down menu, and then switch to the Policies tab. There should be two options, one for quick removal and one for better performance. You want the latter, and make sure write caching is enabled for better performance.

Better performance and write caching are both selected for the boot drive. It's a SSD, would that make a difference?

My drives all show up the same way, dunno why either, but i just ignore it.

Mix of boot SSD & regular hd.

doesn't the problem only occur after switching sata mode to AHCI and not reinstalling the OS?
because I don't see any eject options on mine.

You need to update your Sata controller driver. There is a registry entry that list what drives can and can not be hot swapped. Some older chip sets (nvidia particularity) were late to the party with AHCI. When they did suppor it, the driver didn't disable C: from hot swap. The newer drivers eventually fixed this.

Whatever your chipset is, update the controller drivers and it should disable that.

SATA supports hot-swapping of any drive that's using AHCI. You can get rid of that option by going to Device Manager, selecting the boot drive in the drop down menu, and then switch to the Policies tab. There should be two options, one for quick removal and one for better performance. You want the latter, and make sure write caching is enabled for better performance.

selecting quick removal seems to remove the boot drive from 'Safely Remove Hardware' but in doing so it also disables write caching on the drive...there doesn't seem to be a way to use 'quick removal' while keeping write caching enabled

Back