In the Market for a Android Phone

elm669

2[H]4U
I currently have a Samsung Galaxy J3-6 running Android Marshmallow and the 8gb of space is killing me.

I'm sticking with Verizon and looking for New or Used. My only requirements are: It must have a SD card slot and must have a 3.5mm headphone jack. Price range is $200-250 Any ideas?

Last edited:
Motorola Droid Turbo 2 - nearly indestructible with the shatterproof display (and it really is damned near shatterproof) and I am not being facetious when I say that, and it has a microSD card slot (the original Droid Turbo does not have a microSD slot hence the recommendation for the second gen model) + 32GB internal (about 24GB usable). It's no longer sold in stores so it's available in used markets for well under your pricing requirements and it's about as rock solid a device as you'll find. Not much going on in terms of custom ROMs because of the locked bootloader but the Sunshine tool might be useful ($25 fee) to get it unlocked for some experimentation if you're so inclined.

As for something new in that price range I can't even begin to say, I don't look at Verizon as a carrier and only buy their branded devices on occasion because they're unlocked for GSM operation with other carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile.

The 2016 HTC 10 is in that range. Verizon model is $200+ on Swappa. The Bootloader Unlocked model is $260+ but also works on Verizon.

Moto G5 Plus for sure. They're having a sale on them right now and the 64/4 GB (storage/RAM) is only $240. It has a headphone jack and SD card support as well. It also works on all carriers in case you ever want to switch off of Verizon.

I'd much rather have a newer mid-range phone than an older flagship (like the above have suggested), if just for the warranty, much better battery life (SD625s are a beast for efficiency and perceived performance), and longer software support. My wife has the Z Play, which has the same hardware inside and it runs as fast in normal UI usage as any flagship phone.. it definitely opens/switches apps and stuff a bit faster than my Nexus 6P (likely do to UFS storage vs eMMC) and it has a much faster SoC in it.

Moto G5 Plus for sure. They're having a sale on them right now and the 64/4 GB (storage/RAM) is only $240. It has a headphone jack and SD card support as well. It also works on all carriers in case you ever want to switch off of Verizon.

I'd much rather have a newer mid-range phone than an older flagship (like the above have suggested), if just for the warranty, much better battery life....

I have nothing but praise for that phone. Bought it for my GF and she loves it. Best Buy is also having a sale
64 GB Storage with 4 GB RAM $240 in both Lunar Gray and Gold

Last edited:
I have a G4 play myself, quite like it overall, however for +/- specs especially awesome battery life, considering the price, one I had my eye on LG X Power 2.
The G4 play has a very solid design IMO, not it is not super high spec, but for a "smart phone" is well designed and not ready to shatter if you look at it the wrong way, still advise a proper case for it however.
I dropped mine a few times being in a rush, broke the screen even with a "protector" on it, was not pleased.

The makers of these things should ensure that if the put it on/for sale batteries, screens etc need to be easy to purchase.
"user replaceable battery so you can get another one in case you have a long day ahead of you"
but you cannot find them anywhere, and when you can, they tend to be ~2-3x the cost they should be of course...

Back