In the event of severe weather.......

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I was actually curious what you guys do when severe weather is predicted in your area. Normally this doesn't concern me as a power outage simply just innappropriately shuts the computer down, but folding -bigadv WU's have their concerns as they seem to be lost a lot more easily than the standard A3 WU's in the event of an interruption.

If severe weather is predicted for that day, do you guys just shut your folding rigs down until the threat is over? I know that some of you guys use UPs's, and i'm considering that as well. Is there a very good one that is reasonably priced that you folks would recommend? I've heard horror stories about what can happen when a UPS goes bad.......

I keep everything powered up thats on my APC, if the weather knocks power down, I still have 10 minutes to save projects and shut down. So thats my weather backup plan.

I just orderd another UPS for my WHS and Nexus. Together they pull 300 watts, so on a UPS that can do 600 at max I've got about 6 min or so to get to it.

Most my power problems come in the form of 1 second power flickers. So just about anyform of UPS solves the problem.

Yea I invested in big UPSes over the past couple years. My i7/tri sli gtx275 rig is on a 850W-950W APC iirc. It's connected via USB and sends a shutdown pretty quickly after losing power, so hopefully as the running apps shut down, VMWare will do a proper hibernate routine, saving the WU.

I have underground wiring here, so if my power goes out, it's probably going to be knocked out for a while.

Our first severe storm of the year is getting ready to hit in the next 15 minutes according to radar........

:eek:

They just declared a severe storm warning to hit between mile markers 0 and 12 on I71. I live near mile 9/10 so hopefully the worst of it hits the south of me. Luckily, the bigadv has just finished uploading so I am good to go even if my internet goes down. If power goes out, it just started a new bigadv so at least I won't have lost much.

Just keep folding lol

Although, I've got nice surge protectors, I may want to get a nice UPS once (if) SR2 hits

do UPS's work the same on Linux? Can one UPS connect to multiple PC's?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I had nothing to worry about this time as I can't believe they called a severe thunderstorm warning on this little baby. There isn't a lot of lightning, the winds are not gusting much, and rain isn't even falling fast. Looking at the NWS radar right now, it looks like this storm is fizzling fast. No need to worry about this thing........

Severe weather around here is cold and foggy during the winter. There's the 100+ degree(F) temps during the summer as well but I'd rather not think about that too much. Regardless of all that I have a nice UPS running just in case.

Around this time of the year, we get severe weather watches and warnings just about every other day so it's not something I worry about. Besides, the power company is really good about keeping everything in good shape including poles and wires as well as keeping trees and such trimmed back so it's unlikely a branch or anything can take it out easy. The most we have to worry about here in town is either nasty ice storms in the winter no one can do anything about or someone running into a pole knocking it down. If the power does go down, it's usually back up in record time as well. Truth be told, I have no fucking clue how they manage to do it considering the price of electricity here is $0.05/kwh. I'll usually bitch about any type of increase in what I have to pay on just about anything, but a small increase in the electric rates here wouldn't bother me too much.

7JjKM.png

In my area, power isn't very reliable. There is not enough transparency in the grid and it shows when power goes out. Mine will usually go out but my neighbor will be fine as he is on another grid. This has been made worse by the emerald ash borer beetle which has devastated many trees around the area.

Around this time of the year, we get severe weather watches and warnings just about every other day so it's not something I worry about. Besides, the power company is really good about keeping everything in good shape including poles and wires as well as keeping trees and such trimmed back so it's unlikely a branch or anything can take it out easy. The most we have to worry about here in town is either nasty ice storms in the winter no one can do anything about or someone running into a pole knocking it down. If the power does go down, it's usually back up in record time as well. Truth be told, I have no fucking clue how they manage to do it considering the price of electricity here is $0.05/kwh. I'll usually bitch about any type of increase in what I have to pay on just about anything, but a small increase in the electric rates here wouldn't bother me too much.

I <3 SmartUPS 3000's lol

I've found (and yes this is going to sound bad) that my Big Adv VMs recover more gracefully during a sudden shutdown (or when they are suspended) then when I try to shut them down running ./folding stop. I am about 25% successful when running the stop command and pretty much 100% successful when after a power outage or when I suspend them VM

Just keep folding lol

Although, I've got nice surge protectors, I may want to get a nice UPS once (if) SR2 hits

do UPS's work the same on Linux? Can one UPS connect to multiple PC's?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
They probably work the same in linux. It's a pretty standard driver for most UPS afaik.

They can provide power to multiple PCs just like a surge protector, but here's the problem. The USB or serial cable is only connected to one PC. Most of the time, you'd set your PC to shutdown when the battery starts to get low. I leave a lot of room, so my PCs are set to shutdown when the battery get to 50%. When the power is out, and the battery gets to 50%, it will send the shutdown command to the PC that is connected iwth the USB cable, but not the other PC. The other PC might as well be running on a surge protector at that point.

There might be a way around that....like sending the shutdown command over LAN or something, but I don't know about that.

I've found (and yes this is going to sound bad) that my Big Adv VMs recover more gracefully during a sudden shutdown (or when they are suspended) then when I try to shut them down running ./folding stop. I am about 25% successful when running the stop command and pretty much 100% successful when after a power outage or when I suspend them VM

Interesting. I used to have all kinds of trouble shutting down the VM. I started using CTRL + C to stop the fah6 program. Then, once it's stopped, I shutdown the vm using "shutdown -h now". It seems to be working.

Interesting. I used to have all kinds of trouble shutting down the VM. I started using CTRL + C to stop the fah6 program. Then, once it's stopped, I shutdown the vm using "shutdown -h now". It seems to be working.

I am using an Ubuntu 8.04 VM that I created (just copy and paste anytime I need a new one).

It is running as a service so can't use CTRL + C to kill it.

Suspending is ok with me, just need to adjust the clock after I restart it. My sig rig is my main gaming rig when I am home and with the MW2 Map Pack that just came out, I am doing a fair amount of gaming.

They probably work the same in linux. It's a pretty standard driver for most UPS afaik.

They can provide power to multiple PCs just like a surge protector, but here's the problem. The USB or serial cable is only connected to one PC. Most of the time, you'd set your PC to shutdown when the battery starts to get low. I leave a lot of room, so my PCs are set to shutdown when the battery get to 50%. When the power is out, and the battery gets to 50%, it will send the shutdown command to the PC that is connected iwth the USB cable, but not the other PC. The other PC might as well be running on a surge protector at that point.

There might be a way around that....like sending the shutdown command over LAN or something, but I don't know about that.

Some of the APC SmartUPS' have a slot where you can install a network card that will monitor the UPS. The Powerchute software installed on the machines will all connect and can shut them down, if the UPS loses power. Now I'm not sure if there's a Linux version, but I bet that if they don't make it, there's some kind of open source software that mimics it.

Dude we've had 2 tornado warnings the last 2 Fridays, both headed for our area and we left the house. Guess what? The boxen kept going, the twisters stayed about 10 miles away (in one case north, the other case south), and all was well. :D

I just leave my stuff running. Everything is behind APC surge protectors (no battery backups for me - honestly I can't afford them/don't want to spend the money). If lightning hits close by and fries all my stuff, it's all behind APC surges with $10,000+ coverage so it'd all be replaced anyway. :)

Back