In SERIOUS need of help, possible processor failure.

nnamdizzle

n00b
Hey guys, I was running prime 95 on a rig that i have had since about august. The test won't even get through even about 15 seconds of the test without an error. It is the same case on Occt on the regular test. Ive been noticing that my comp would crash on pretty much every game i own after about an hr of gameplay. Im pretty sure my processor is a dud because ive run mem test for many hrs without any errors. This also means that my motherboard is probably still in good shape also. All of my settings are on default with stock multipliers voltages and everything. I am afraid that i will not be able to use a warranty on my processor because it is oem. I really need some input on this situation, because i want to know exactly what to do lol. Thanks guys.

What error message does it give? Thats weird that it takes an hour to crash. Normally it would crash pretty quickly under any intense situation. Most won't even boot without crashing. I've heard of similiar problems being IRQ conflicts, so make sure all of your major components are on seperate IRQ's.

wee96 said:
Sure its not just overheating? Check your cooling.

Very true, Monitor your temps for awhile. Although I must say that if it were overheating, it wouldnt take playing a game for an hour to do so. Normally itd happen within the first 10-20 minutes.

no its not over heating, im getting 43 at idle, maybe 48 at load... im trying to reformat my hard drive, and its giving me errors when i try to reinstall windows now, i don't know what to do... this sucks

Try running it with only one stick of memory, see how you get on. Alternatively, try memtest. (the bootable iso is the easiest way imo)

My money is on the memory, thankfully Corsair have a great RMA department ;)

Nembot said:
Try running it with only one stick of memory, see how you get on. Alternatively, try memtest. (the bootable iso is the easiest way imo)

My money is on the memory, thankfully Corsair have a great RMA department ;)
read the post before you reply
nnamdizzle said:
Im pretty sure my processor is a dud because ive run mem test for many hrs without any errors.

Well, mem test gave me no errors with alot of testing, what im trying now is to reformat the hd and test prime with the processor clocked at really low settings, and see what i can scale it too. I don't really have the money right now to buy a new processor lol. Hopefully this works. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.. and i will post the any errors if i get any in a little.

FWIW, a processor usually works or it doesn't..... this still sounds like it could be memory related to me...... when you say you ran Memtest for several hours, do you mean like 24 hours? I'd run it for 24 hours and see if it errors then, also if you can get ahold of a different stick of RAM, try that...... Also, could the chipset be overheating? Is the Northbridge passively cooled or does it have a fan?

I'd try another stick of memory if possible and if that doesn't work mabye up the cpu voltage a notch.

There's a copy of Prime on this bootable cd if you want to test it without Windows installed.

http://ultimatebootcd.com/

coolie_d said:
FWIW, a processor usually works or it doesn't.....
Not true - a processor could have defects, still boot the computer and perform many tasks fine. I've seen it several times on servers and workstations at work

seanmcd said:
Not true - a processor could have defects, still boot the computer and perform many tasks fine. I've seen it several times on servers and workstations at work
I concur with that. Consider the Pentium Bug, the processor worked fine, "most" of the time.

well ive noticed a bit of improvement in running prime, first i upped the voltage on the processor and manually set the multi on the fsb to 12 and the multi on the ldt to 2.5, this enabled me to run prime for about 12 min without any errors. its pretty hot in my room so i opened my window and my temps dropped all around, now at max its about 48 degrees celcius. now im going to drop the memory timings and see if i can get through prime for a longer time.

well no, its a new ps that is 550 watts and its pretty stable on the voltage lines. also it is replacing an older thermaltake power suppy. well i got prime to run stable for about an hr... is this good?

Back