In search of a quality Displayport to Mini Displayport cable -- 295x2

Charger69

Limp Gawd
Hello fellow [H] members,
I have recently purchased the powerhouse R295x2, but I cannot find a quality cable for the life of me. My last one worked for about 2 weeks. Anyone have a source for quality DP>Mini DP cables? Amazon's cables are garbage with the last ones I ordered failing immediately or within a short period of time and I haven't heard anything good about monoprice's cable either. I have never had a monitor cable fail on me so I am pretty surprised this happens (being cables are relatively simple..)--I have cables from old VGA units that are easily 15 years old and work as good as ever.

All the Nippon Labs and Cables2Go cables I've bought are still working and are of decent quality, including their displayport cables. Never used one of the miniDP->DP, but here's one that looks good.

I've used some startech ones that did the job fine.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...=8-2&keywords=mini+displayport+to+displayport
They've only been going for ~3 months so far, but I've had good luck with other startech stuff too.

Ordered this one and another off Amazon so I have a backup. Sucks running my 1440 at 1080 right now since all I had was a HDMI>Mini DP laying around. The cable that just failed on me was a CableMatters cable which has good reviews, but after 30 days in service it failed. :mad:

All the Nippon Labs and Cables2Go cables I've bought are still working and are of decent quality, including their displayport cables. Never used one of the miniDP->DP, but here's one that looks good.

I will purchase this one next...

I find it really odd that cables are failing. I have 15 year old cables from other types of monitors that are still going strong. Is it really that difficult to manufacture these cables consistently?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have to agree. Very strange that a cable like that would die after only 30 days. I've never heard of cables going bad.

Is it an issue with the new technology with the new types of ports, that support higher resolutions? Are they complicated to make?

if you don't want to get completely ripped off, check monoprice

otherwise radioshack sells these. but they're like $20

Well, my last three cables just crapped out on me in the matter of the past 2 months. I haven't bought hte Sapphire cables yet but I will order those next. I ordered the other recommended cables and same issue.

I am starting to think there is an issue elsewhere? Or is it consistent to only get 30 days out of a DP cable? Interestingly enough, my HDMI cable works fine. I just can't get 1440 resolution on a HDMI with this graphics card (295x2)

EDIT: I need a DP>MiniDP cable, those Sapphire cables run DVI>Mini DP and as far as I can find out, DVI doesn't support 1440 resolution. UGH

DVI supports 1440. Accell DP cables work very well. Cured a lot of peoples wake from sleep issues too.

The cable that just failed on me was a CableMatters cable which has good reviews, but after 30 days in service it failed. :mad:

What was the length of the CableMatters? I had a 15' one that I ordered and it gave me nothing but problems. Switched to a 10'... haven't had a single issue. I'm not sure if the signal was just degrading over the longer distance or what.

DVI supports 1440. Accell DP cables work very well. Cured a lot of peoples wake from sleep issues too.
You sure DVI is 1440? DVI max resolution from a Google query yields 1920x1200; but I don't know about DVI>MiniDP, I will try this next if I can get 1440 on it. Every time I looked up DVI it mentioned that it had to be dual-link for anything above 1920x1200.

I am using Monoprice's DP to miniDP cable with no issues. They cost around $5 each.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Cat...goryId=102&categoryId=10246&searchType=Direct

Note: "There is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable." (Source)
Just bought one of those, let's roll the dice and see how long it lasts! ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7R9I22/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use that on my LG UM95 34" 3440x1440 display. No issues at all with my 295X2 setup.
The accell mini dp to dp are the best.
Burned Accel right here on my desktop. They just stop working and screen goes black. 30 days on this one ( just outside of Amazon's return, coincidentally)

What was the length of the CableMatters? I had a 15' one that I ordered and it gave me nothing but problems. Switched to a 10'... haven't had a single issue. I'm not sure if the signal was just degrading over the longer distance or what.
I was running a 10' er on the Cable Matters.

Honestly, if there was a quality cable I would pay $100+ for it, since I am blowing $10-15 a month on these garbage cables and they last just long enough to be out of warranty return. While I don't seem to be the only one facing all these issues with MiniDP>DP cables going out (just look at Amazon reviews), I can't help but wonder if it is my monitor? My MiniDP>HDMI works just fine. Although I haven't used it for more than a few days (since I can't stand 1080 resolution). I find it crazy that my old 1920x1200 monitor on its old DVI interface never hiccuped in almost 7 years of service. Go figure..

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You sure DVI is 1440? DVI max resolution from a Google query yields 1920x1200; but I don't know about DVI>MiniDP, I will try this next if I can get 1440 on it. Every time I looked up DVI it mentioned that it had to be dual-link for anything above 1920x1200.

Yes. Dual link DVI. Sorry for not paying closer attention.

I can't help but wonder if it is my monitor?
Have you checked the contacts for corrosion? Is your place particularly humid?

I'm not sure that a cable could physically go bad at any point other than the contacts without movement. Are you jamming the back of your PC up against a wall and bending the cables? Like, if there's some dumb shit happening then it could be any number of things, but if the cables are being handled carefully and treated well, the only thing that could actually be going wrong is on the contact points, unless the issue is with your PC or the displays themselves.

You mention older style cables working fine, though they're much more forgiving with bending and other physical abuse, where newer ones can be more delicate, especially dealing with high resolutions. Could it be that you're treating these delicate cables like the older more rugged ones?

I could just be talking shit, but I'm sometimes quite surprised at how poorly someone can treat certain things, not realizing that they're completely ruining them. So I figure it's at least worth mentioning, and something to consider.

So I'd say it's either poor air quality, user error, terrible luck, or cable gremlins. Those are the most likely causes.

MonoPrice > all, when it comes to quality affordable cables. I have used DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA cables from them without issue.

Have you checked the contacts for corrosion? Is your place particularly humid?

I'm not sure that a cable could physically go bad at any point other than the contacts without movement. Are you jamming the back of your PC up against a wall and bending the cables? Like, if there's some dumb shit happening then it could be any number of things, but if the cables are being handled carefully and treated well, the only thing that could actually be going wrong is on the contact points, unless the issue is with your PC or the displays themselves.

You mention older style cables working fine, though they're much more forgiving with bending and other physical abuse, where newer ones can be more delicate, especially dealing with high resolutions. Could it be that you're treating these delicate cables like the older more rugged ones?

I could just be talking shit, but I'm sometimes quite surprised at how poorly someone can treat certain things, not realizing that they're completely ruining them. So I figure it's at least worth mentioning, and something to consider.

So I'd say it's either poor air quality, user error, terrible luck, or cable gremlins. Those are the most likely causes.

No humidity issues, I am in California (land of the rainless). The cables look otherwise flawless. They have adequate space and I install them with a delicate touch akin to a watchmaker's. Is there a way I can test each pin on these to see what's going on? I don't see any scorching or visible damage.

So gremlins it is. :confused:

Is there a way I can test each pin on these to see what's going on? I don't see any scorching or visible damage.

So gremlins it is. :confused:

You could certainly test them with the proper tools, though I'm not sure what you would look for exactly. There are most likely specific voltages and frequencies that they need to run at for a proper signal, so you'd have to test with the right signal and not just a simple end-to-end connection test.

If there are any electrical engineers in here maybe they could help.

Back