In Search of a New Monitor for Photography.

prodigee

Gawd
Ok so basically I am in the market for a new monitor, I would look at matte IPS monitor, but so far (and I haven't done that much research so far) I have only really found the Dell 2209wa which looks great but its only 1680x1050 and I would much prefer 1920x1200 or something to that extent. Those are really my only requirements matte and 1920+ but I also don't want to go above 24" because then it just starts getting too big (especially since it will be in a dorm room next year).

So any ideas would really be helpful. I will continue to research as well. Just wanted to see what you guys could suggest.

Thanks!

Kielan

My price cap is really about $500 (I am very willing to buy refurbs).

Last edited:
Defense mentioned two of the more popular low cost options (also the HP LP2475w)...but you haven't mentioned your budget. Eizo, NEC, and LaCie, also offer a range very very good photography appropriate monitors for considerably more dough.

Slightly larger than 24" is the Dell 27" U2711: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=224-8284

At 2560x1440 resolution, it has a very high pixel pitch which makes it well suited for photography. It also has very good colour accuracy for a pro-sumer LCD and being an H-IPS panel, it tends to have good off-angle viewing as well.

Because the screen ratio is 16:9, it actually makes this 27"er feel not much bigger than a 24" LCD. In comparison it's only slightly taller and more wide than 24" @ 16:10 ratio.

I would get the 27" but I can't really find one that is in my price range (which I just added to the original post). The HP looks good but the lack of HDMI and component inputs is a turn off. I guess I am being really picky.

I would get the 27" but I can't really find one that is in my price range (which I just added to the original post). The HP looks good but the lack of HDMI and component inputs is a turn off. I guess I am being really picky.

Why would you want HDMI and Component? I prefer DVI since it is a nice solid connection, not the flimsy HDMI consumer connector.

Component isn't that big a deal, but HDMI so I can hook up a PS3 to it.

It will be in my dorm so I need something to hook my system up to.

How well does a 2560x1440 look on a ps3 running games at 720p upscaled to max 1080p?

How well does a 2560x1440 look on a ps3 running games at 720p upscaled to max 1080p?
Where does 2560x1440 come into this? I'm not getting a 27" its way too expensive. 24" seems to be the limit here. The LP2475w looks interesting as well.

How does it compare to the U2410 for those of you that have had experience with both.

I would say go with the Dell U2410 if you need the HDMI, Dell had them for $469 last week, not sure if they are still that price.

If you want to save some cash go with the HP ZR24W you can get it from buy.com for around $400 plus a few $ in bing cashback. it doesn't have HDMI but you can probably get a converter cable for it! Plus the HP hasn't had the screen tint issues of the Dell so far.

Planar PX2611w, but....

1. It's 25.5", so slightly bigger than what you want.
2. Might be a bit expensive for your taste at about $775 shipped.

Back