In need of Power Supply education

CustomModAddict

Limp Gawd
Ok looking at two power supplies:

Corsair CMPSU-850TX
Kingwin LZ-850

Both are rated 850 Watt and SLI certified. Both are right in the same price range.

Newegg comparison data

From a design standpoint the Kingwin will do better for me, the LED's will match the theme, and the modular wiring on the extra stuff you never need will help cut out the clutter. But there is definitely a few things that aren't the same about the units. And I want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

So if one of the power supply pro's could point out a few pro's and cons to the two separate units, I can go ahead decide and order.

Thanks

Last edited:
IMO, nothing beats a good Seasonic, and they make PSUs for Corsair, so I would go with that one.

So if one of the power supply pro's could point out a few pro's and cons to the two separate units, I can go ahead decide and order.
I'm going off of the 1000W version of that Kingwin in this HardOCP review:
http://hardocp.com/article/2009/11/04/kingwin_lz1000_1000w_power_supply_review/4

- The Corsair has 70A on the +12V rail. The Kingwin only has 68A. More A or amperage on the +12V rail generally means more power for more parts.
- The Corsair has a 5 year warranty whereas the Kingwin only has 3.
- In terms of DC Output Quality and transient load, the PSUs are fairly similar despite being made by two different manufacturers: CWT for the 850TX and Superflower for the Kingwin.
- The rest of the differences are relatively minor and are already listed in the Newegg data you linked.

IMO, nothing beats a good Seasonic, and they make PSUs for Corsair, so I would go with that one.
Umm, the Corsair PSU in question is made by CWT. Not all of Corsair's PSUs are made by Seasonic. Some are made by CWT and Flextronics.

Go with Corsair, but not the TX850, it's not even Bronze certified.
Go with the HX850, it's Silver certified, of much better quality, 2 more years of warranty, and it has modular cables.
It's $150 after MIR ($21.43/warranty year) vs $126 for the TX850 ($24/warranty year), shipping included.

will echo what everone else here, corsair psu's rock!

Chimel gave good advice on going with the HX850

I have retired all my PSUs except Corsair's.

Now no one can walk on water, but all of my Corsair supplies have been beaten on and still work like new, and Corsair's customer service is top notch.

I have an HX-620, two TX-750s,an HX-850 and just bought an AX-1200.
Any of those supplies would be excellent. The nice difference between the HX and the AX, is the AX is fully modular while the HX brands have the 24 pin,the 8 pin AUX CPU and two PCI-e built in rather than being modular......not a huge deal but a little more challenging to manage.

Lately the prices have been great too. If you want to save some cash, buy a TX version....you just have to hide some cables......a little more work but might be worth the savings.

Back