In need of info about the Intel CPU hardware bug

_l_

[H]ard|Gawd
Been reading the various threads here at [H] regarding the Intel CPU hardware problem, Intel CEO dumping stocks, etc. Just want to ask how any of tis will impact John and Jane Doe, you know - the gamers who build PC's mainly for gaming, VR, etc?

I just did an Intel 8700K build two weeks ago. Regarding soon to be and down the road resale, should I return/sell the Intel hardware and go the Ryzen 7 path due to this Intel hardware bug or does it really only effect pro servers, etc

Real answer is no one knows right now.
Until all the patches are out and testing is done no one will know for sure.
Ask again in 2-3 weeks and someone might know the answer.

Been reading the various threads here at [H] regarding the Intel CPU hardware problem, Intel CEO dumping stocks, etc. Just want to ask how any of tis will impact John and Jane Doe, you know - the gamers who build PC's mainly for gaming, VR, etc?

I just did an Intel 8700K build two weeks ago. Regarding soon to be and down the road resale, should I return/sell the Intel hardware and go the Ryzen 7 path due to this Intel hardware bug or does it really only effect pro servers, etc

I don't think it's worth making any rush decisions over. I would only switch if you have more of a moral or ethical reason you would rather use AMD.

Here is a good early benchmark video for desktop users with 8700k, pre-patch and post-patch:

TL;DW: gaming not affected, NVMe SSD performance 5-15% worse.

Reactions: _l_
like this
The benchmarks I've seen so far show the impact is statistically 0 for gaming and other normal desktop usage.

I've tested two systems and haven't noticed any difference before and after the patch. I haven't tried gaming, but I've run CPU benchmarks.

The patch affect the amount of overhead for system calls. It is mostly programs with a lot of file access, network access or communication with other programs that would get a slowdown, i.e. those types of programs that would typically run on servers.
It does not affect computational power.

i have set my "Windows Update" to "Deferred for 35days" So my system will not DL that patch and I can kick back and see what happens.. I love this 8700k system to much to have fucking MS put out a patch to ruin my day@!

Back