In need of a budget router w/gaming capabilities.

ofDoom

Weaksauce
I'm currently looking for a budget-priced WIRED router that will support up to 2 machines sharing 3Mbps DSL connection. What I'm looking for is, firstly, stability, as I am a gamer and I don't want to be constantly disconnected every now and then. I live in Canada, so Newegg is unavailable to me, sadly :( . I'm hearing good things about Linksys' WRT54GL models but it's not exactly budget, and I'm ready to save some cash by skipping the wireless capabilities. So, any suggestions?

Find an older machine, and a cheap switch, or add a second NIC to one of your machines, and throw a cross over between the two. In that second case, you will have to leave the one machine up all the time so the other can access the internet threw it.

Linksys BEFSX41 (note SX..not SR)
Running 1.45.7 or 1.52.9 firmware. Stay away from 1.50x, 1.51x, and earlier 1.52x versions.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Linksys BEFSX41 (note SX..not SR)
Running 1.45.7 or 1.52.9 firmware. Stay away from 1.50x, 1.51x, and earlier 1.52x versions.
How do I check the firmware that's on it? Also, not really the budget I had in mind...any other options?

The problem is that Wired routers aren't en-vogue anymore. Everyone is breaking their back making wireless routers leaving the wired crowd in the dark. To be really honest, I'd wait for a sale on a WRT54G (or GS) of the appropriate low revision (for maximum third party firmware support) and go for it.

I know you said budget, but even a halfway decent wired router costs as much as a decent wireless router at this point in time.

It sucks... I know.... I feel old. I dont want wireless either :D

ofDoom said:
How do I check the firmware that's on it? Also, not really the budget I had in mind...any other options?

Firmware version is usually stated on the first page of the web admin of most routers.

"Budget"? It's under 100 bucks...IMO one of the better home grade routers...it's not a 300 dollar RV0 or 400 dollar Sonicwall. The term "budget"...dunno what that means to you.

I'll probably go for WRT54GS with Linux firmware, still need more opinions though.

D-Link 4300 is on sale at BestBuy this week for $99. Best consumer router on the market, and it has some packet shaping stuff to make sure your gaming packets get higher priority than the person who is surfing the web on the other PC.

My opinion is find a used old router. Unless you go super budget and get the house-branded linksys (Network Anywhere) routers from Walmart ($30), thats about the cheapest you will find a modern wired router. However, those things do not stand up to heavy bittorrent very well and their features are very basic.

I think you are looking at the $50 (on sale) for a decent wired router, and for that price, you can get a heavily moddable WRT54G. I am a wired kinda guy but I like my WRT54GS (2.0 IIRC) in my wired network (as well as my Asus WL500g)

I have a D-Link DI-604 wired router that does all the things you've asked for. They're very capable and retail for $30-35 US. I've seen a $15 rebate on it too (at NewEgg, though). That makes for a very good, budget minded purchase. Or find one used but in good shape.

Badger said:
I have a D-Link DI-604 wired router that does all the things you've asked for. They're very capable and retail for $30-35 US. I've seen a $15 rebate on it too (at NewEgg, though). That makes for a very good, budget minded purchase. Or find one used but in good shape.
Heard too many horror stories to buy a DLink, although I need to know whether it's due to the buggy stock firmware that can be fixed or something deeper.
Did anyone hear anything good about Netgear?

Back