In-Home Spying Devices Soon to Spy Better

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Apr 4, 2018.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Amazon has filed for a patent for a "voice sniffer." This is not an elaborate plan to sell you more mouthwash, but rather many other things as well. If you don't think your Echo is not already listening to your conversations, you might take into consideration that this tech is already in use as there are many anecdotes on the internet about getting directly marketed for products that have been discussed around the devices. Tinfoil hat in size 7 please.

A “voice sniffer algorithm” is what the patent calls the technology.

“The more words they collect, the more the company gets to know you,” Daniel Burrus, a tech analyst with Burrus Research Associates, Inc., told ABC News. “They are building a personality profile on the user.”

The algorithm uses positive trigger words such as “prefer” and “bought” or negative trigger words such as “hate” or “disliked,” and then the device can “capture adjacent audio that can be analyzed” for keywords, gauging interest levels in various products.

WhoMe likes this.
  2. Jailer

Jailer Limp Gawd

It's AI assisted learning for when they take over and kill us all.

3. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

But it sure is convenient.

4. TordanGow

TordanGow [H]ard|Gawd

The judicial system can force you to wear a tracker and most people would be horrified at the thought of wearing one.

Somewhere out there someone in a marketing department figured out a way to make people pay to have a spying device placed directly in their homes... KUDOS!

5. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

Cops ask Amazon for Echo data (no warrant needed), catches your teen having a party with drugs and alcohol, police seize your house (civil asset forfeiture - aka theft) and you go bankrupt trying to get it back.

Welcome to the future.

At least ordering more Tide Pods is easier when you get hungry.

qb4ever, steakman1971, WhoMe and 2 others like this.
  6. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Paranoid nonsense!

The grim future present is a place where the paranoid people were right.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  7. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

Too late to fight it now. They already know everything. Accept your conveniences and live a good life.

8. PaulP

PaulP Gawd

My mother in law has an Echo. For now on around it I plan on talking about how I hate these types of devices and love my privacy. They won't care, of course, but it will make me smile inside knowing I'm poking them in their virtual eye.

dvsman and BSmith like this.
  9. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

Be careful, they could be plotting to serve you an add for an extra small fleshlight at just the right moment and place as to really embarrass you. In the world of AI learning, revenge is a dish best served in megabytes.

10. Azrak

Azrak Gawd

The police negotiators will love this tech.

A guy takes hostages in a bank somewhere.
    "Got the guy's name and address?"
    "Yes sir, we've already visited the home, shot the dog, and talked to the wife."
    "Excellent. What have you learned?"
    "Well, the wife did not want to talk, however they own an Amazon Echo device."
    "Quick, subpoena Amazon and get all the background 'personality' traits of this guy so we know what we are dealing with."

11. PaulP

PaulP Gawd

It takes a lot more than that to embarrass me!

12. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

And now that you've typed that information on the internet, they know to move on to plan B. They're everywhere, PaulP.

13. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  14. Dillirium

Dillirium Limp Gawd

Fixed this for you because they can get it regardless.

15. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

Guess you'd better be careful mentioning..........
    1) "rubbers"
    2) "hookers"
    3) "'blow"

I just unplug mine when I'm not listening to music.........but that stuff is creeping me out a bit.......

16. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

I never leave home without my tin foil hat. A friend of mine got an Echo. Invited me over to show me what it can do, and I declined. Told him, sorry, but I will never be coming to your house again.

I am thinking I should replace the front door with a steel one. That's to keep the worshippers who would be pushing these devices on me, out,....maybe an electrified front porch floor.....hmmm

Hear that Echo,...you bitch! That's right,...you will never take me alive!

17. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

What? That is complete nonsense. They have no need for that when the google eye satellite with its multi high res camera can already see and hear inside every single home at once.

18. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

Google and Amazon

G: Dude! We just rolled out this new data collection tool....it will make you cry!
    A: Dude! We just topped that with a new tool! It uses farts for unique identifiers!
    G: No WAY! Dude! We have this new tech which can see and hear through walls!
    A: Pfffft! Dude! That is so 1990's. We added nanobots to Echo! Thay can collect ANYTHING!
    G: DUDE! Damn....I got nuthin.
    A; Damn right DUDE! Oh,..and we knew that already. :) Glad you are enjoying that Echo we sent you. NOW FART!

19. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

20. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

Patents like these are the good patents. Let the patent office rubber stamp these without a review so that innovation gets segmented to only one company and this gets stifled overall. Even better, give these to patent trolls.

21. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

I got a Google home mini thing with my Pixel 2xl free and tossed right into the trash. I am surprised they aren't just giving them away to everyone.

Armenius likes this.
  22. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

Imagine if amazon had a fb moment and the masses learned how the data was being used.

AlphaQup and Armenius like this.
  23. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

Some people fight against wiretaps.

Some install them, as long as it means they don't have to stand up to turn on the stereo.

AlphaQup and Armenius like this.
  24. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

Just to play devil's advocate here, but maybe it could save you. Police come calling because everyone says the robber looked just like you, "Hey, I'm innocent, just ask Amazon, I was home all day!"

25. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Surprised we haven't heard of anyone getting swatted because they were watching a crime-drama on TV in the same room.

Armenius and WhoMe like this.
  26. DarkStryke

DarkStryke [H]ard|Gawd

I'm more surprised that some are paying $120+ for these. Bezos is an evil genius.

Armenius and vegeta535 like this.