In general, which brand hard drive would you rather buy

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
Assuming the price is the same, and speaking IN GENERAL,

would you rather get a

1. Maxtor
2. Hitachi
3. Seagate

I think I'd rather have a Seagate. I have both seagate and maxtor and haven't really had any problems with either.

seagate, then hitachi.

i hate maxtor, imo they make the worst drives ever. id rather put my data on an ibm deskstar than a maxtor.

seagate, I love every drive of theirs that I have had the pleasure of using.

1. Hitachi
2. Seagate
3. Anything other than Maxtor

Alternatives for 3:
Samsung, WD

I get seagate for the warranty and WD because I've never had a single WD drive fail on me. Even the 2.1gig scsi drives I ordered off of ebay. You will, however, hear stories of the exact opposite luck.

I used to avoid WDs like the plague after a bad experience with a 10pack of OEM drives. I never bought IBM drives so I avoided the whole Deathstar fiasco.

Personally, I don't care now. All of the drives in the last couple years have been reliable as hell. I have built a lot of customer systems with Maxtor and WDs and had 1 HD failure (WD) over the last two years. I have even had great luck with Samsung drives.

Like I said, I don't care. I buy whatever I can get my hands on for the best price. HDs to me are a storage device, nothing more. I don't care what the label says.

Western Digital=My brand of choice. Consistant quality and good performance. Makers of the innovative Raptors. Of which I am very fond of.

Maxtor=The normal DiamondMax drives are good. I would buy them without hesitation. Although those slim height drives on the lower end suck donkey nuts. I've replaced TONS of them in Compaq and HP units. As well as in others.

Seagate=I might try their SATA drives. I hear good things about them. They're IDE drives blow and aren't worth a crap. Their SCSI drives are my first choice when building a SCSI based system.

Hitachi=It's the IBM Deathstar with a new name. Nuff said.

Samsung=Never used them, but I've replaced quite a few as a service tech. I won't buy them.

Fujitsu=Hit or miss some drives are really reliable and live forever. Others are out right crap. I won't buy them due to the inconsistancies.

I can't believe the overwhelming votes for Seagate. As a service tech I run into a hell of alot more dead Seagates than ANYTHING else. Work on some retail OEM units. You'll never buy a Seagate again.

Like I said the slimline Maxtor HDD's are absolute crap. The regular drives have always been good though.

compslckr said:
#1 Western digital
#2 Maxtor
#3 Segate

Now that order makes sense. Although Seagate drives aren't the best I'd take them over FuShitsu any day.

I do alot of drive installs and I've had more compatibility problems with motherboard BIOS's with FuShitsu and Samsung than any other brands. Hitachi sucks pretty bad in this area also.

perhaps the reason you see so many seagates go out is because that's what alot of people use.

1.seagate
2.WD
3.maxtor

i love seagates they are quiet and reliable, after a period of time (year or so) my WD drive started to make very suttle but noticalbe noise and i've heard that maxtor just has a horriable reputation (execpt for xboxs)

Weird i have a slim height maxtor and has worked fine in 4 years of having it. I paid $90 for it Ccity all thoese years ago.

kubalaTF said:
perhaps the reason you see so many seagates go out is because that's what alot of people use.

I see alot of other drives too. A TON of Maxtors. Percentage wise I am pretty certain that Seagate < WD/Maxtor

Seagate seems to be making great drives and is offering a great warrantee. Right now i'd go with them.

For a laptop hard drive I think Hitachi pretty much has my vote for now with their 7200 RPM drive though.

Canon said:
For a laptop hard drive I think Hitachi pretty much has my vote for now with their 7200 RPM drive though.

Dang! They're up to a 7200 rpm lappy drive now! :eek: Time for an upgrade for certain.

Ax

Sir-Fragalot said:
Fujitsu=Hit or miss some drives are really reliable and live forever. Others are out right crap. I won't buy them due to the inconsistancies.

Kinda like when our 20GB Fujitsu drive died and a google search revealed that the whole series was reaching 100% failure rate.

Codegen said:
Kinda like when our 20GB Fujitsu drive died and a google search revealed that the whole series was reaching 100% failure rate.

haha funny that you mention that, i have 2x 40 fujitsu drives that were of the same series of those that had that hire failure rate. there was a class action lawsuit against them for that but i could care less cause mine run great :D

Codegen said:
My old 30GB Fujitsu got fried too. Filled out a form and they put a $100 bill (CDN) in my pocket, and I bought a 60GB WD with it.

I'm currently eyeing the 200GB Seagates for my next build. Unsure about SATA vs PATA, but it'll most likely end up being SATA.

I got the 160GB seagate SATA, and it seems to be going pretty fast to me. But my last HD was a 5400 so there's no where to go but up.

I use seagate cheetahs [15.3k and 10.6k] and I'm very happy with them, I also have 5 years old IBM SCSI drive still working fine.

For SCSI Drives: Seagate, with Quantum being tied with IBM/Hitachi for second. I guess i'm sort of biased towards IBM's Ultrastar line as I run a pair of them and couldn't be happier, and i've got a set of 5 Quantum Atlases in a server that haven't ever given me trouble.

For IDE/SATA: WD , but I guess that could be because i've never used Seagate's non-SCSI drives; I've had a pair of Maxtors die on me so I'm not too fond of them

Well I havent had a problem with Maxtor,WD or Seagate.
Ive had ONE Maxtor drive die on me...was an 80gb SATA...that went to the shooting range :) Right now I am running two 160gb(8mb) Seagates and a single Seagate 80gb SATA drive...

pinglupanglu said:
I use seagate cheetahs [15.3k and 10.6k] and I'm very happy with them, I also have 5 years old IBM SCSI drive still working fine.

In SCSI Seagate is my FIRST choice. I've got alot of 10k and 15k drives at work and they're great. Solid performance and very reliable. I've never had cause to complain. However we've had quite a few Seagate EIDE drives that have sucked donkey penor.

Seagate and Maxtor are the best I've ever run. I don't know about those samsung or other big name multiproduct manufacturer drives but I tend to avoid them. Making everything from cars to hair driers kind makes me worry about quality. WD I won't touch those drives have nothing but crapped out on me.

I used to buy nothing but Maxtor but the last two have given me problems. I have a feeling Maxtor isn't going to honor the warranty on one.

Anything but Maxtor.

Back