In a dilemma

noinimod

n00b
I currently have an amd 3600 o/ced to 2.8ghz paired with a 4850. Despite what many people say about higher resolution gaming being not that dependent on processor speeds, i can feel the lag, especially in crowded areas

So now i have a e8500 on its way to fire up my pc's processing power. Anyway, pretty much the only game i play is TF2, and i was wondering if a 8800gt would do well @ 1920x1200 with the e8500. I have a suspicion it will do even better than my current 4850 + amd. I'm thinking of downgrading to a 8800gt to get some money back that could be used to offset the money used for the intel upgrade.

Any thoughts? I don't care so much about future proofing games and what not, as long as it drives tf2 @ 1920x1200, i'm happy

TF2 is heavily CPU dependant so my guess would be you'll see an improvement with a E8500, though the videocard is a bit slower.

I'm interested in TF2s FPS related with CPU/GPU so please report back when you upgrade.

Ok i found this
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=691&p=5

That pretty much confirms my suspicions. Actually i had a 8800GT for awhile prior to this 4850.. and although it was some time back, i remember quite clearly my fps was around the same for both cards, which makes no sense if you think about it, considering how much more powerful the 4850 is.

I'm planning on taking the e8500 to 4ghz so i think i'll be seeing pretty good performance even with the lousier video card

i agree, at 1920x1200 a 3600 @ 2.8 would def limit, especially since source engine is not that gfx hw centric

Aight, i finally got my rig up and running. I downgraded from a 4850 to a 3870 and guess what, i'm getting twice my old fps with this new q6600. It's crazy how cpu dependent the source engine is lol.

no E8500?
That woulda been better for Source due to raw clock speed.
I have E6600 @ stock which is basically the same as Q6600 but TF2 still lags a bit on heavy fights w/ lots of people. I know its not my Video card (8800GTS512) that can't keep up with dipping fps.

The E8500 deal was off; it was 20 bucks more for them compared to the quad. But i do have a e8400 on its way that will probably reach me after the new year. I'm still in two minds as to which chip i should keep.

The quad does a wonderful job at multi tasking, but i'm not sure if i really need all that power, literally. The added power consumption has been on my mind, no doubt, so i'm thinking of just using the E8400, clock it to 4ghz (I know the chip's capable of that already), and sell off the quad. I have the quad clocked to 3.2 on stock volts and it's doing well. In no hurry to see how high i can push it yet.

Decisions decisions..

Back