Improve my Cooltek W2 cooling with 1080Ti

128MB

n00b
So i just got the iChill 1080TI X3 in the Cooltek W2 and i now have my personal floor heater... my slippers are very toasty warm.

Just browsing the web is at 46 idle and full load its 85, nearing 90.

Biggest problem here is the single outtake fan ? I can put more intake on the bottom but then the heat still cant go anywhere.

Specs:
Cooltek W2
Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3
Intel Core i5-4670K @4.2.GHz with Scythe Mugen V2
Inno3D iChill GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3-1600
Antec Edge 650W
Asus Xonar D2
Fans are stock jonsbo and plugged in the motherboard.

20201124_194000.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at image it appears there is a whitish layer on inside of fan blades. If it's not a allusion I'm guessing there is dust / lint in cooler cool.

Doesn't case have 2x 140mm front intakes? What fans are they, as in what is their pressure rating and max speed? I always use fans rated at least 1.3mm H2O at 1300-1500rpm because lower pressure rated fans don't' move much air through grill and filter, especially at lower speeds.

fans are the standard jonsbo low rpm 15dB fans that came with it. i'v got something on order to hopefully improve flow.

I always remove (cut out) my exhaust fan grill for unrestricted airflow. Your exhaust grill seems very dense and restrictive. Otherwise a higher pressure exhaust fan could help too. Perhaps even repasting the cpu?

I would test with the zonar pulled out and a fan blowing up at the gpu. If its starved that may make a big difference.

Also sometimes setting up your fan curve to increase according to the gpu vs the cpu can help alot.

Repaste and remount your GPU and run it without the side panel on before doing anything else.

The only other thing I could suggest is a blower style GPU and two intake fans on the bottom of the case and I agree w/ doyll about a thorough cleaning.
If a blower style is not in the cards leave the side panel off too. You cold also remove all expansion slot covers to free up the exhaust back pressure. I see 4 in the image in the OP.
bolhaskutya makes a good point too the honeycomb grid at rear fan back panel if removed would help cut the exhaust restriction.
The biggest problem with cases styled like this is the restricted front airflow add to that no top exhaust I'm sorry to say doomed to fail.
The biggest problem w/the iChill is it exhaust heat all around the card dumping heat into the case and worse right into you CPU cooler
Take the Phanteks P400 and many like it they all went to mesh fronts as an option because the chief complaint is where you are at right now.
Bottom line all good advice here.

Hard to tell from the pic, but, can you throw a couple of intake fans on the bottom? More forced air in might help, and as someone else said, if you can mod the case for a top exhaust fan or two, that should help with flow in the case as well.

I think you need more exhaust somehow.
Attempting to put intake fans in the bottom to force air up into the GPU might work, but it also might not.

If you weren't using that Xonar in a bottom PCI slot i'd reccomend something similar to what i've done in my case to help cool my 1080ti, which was mounting a fan underneath it for exhaust.

1606728575704.png

My case is an absolute monster in size compared to yours though.

Also even with this much airflow and using an aftermarket Arctic Accelero III Extreme my 1080ti idles at around 40c when all 3 of my monitors ae active, so your temps aren't nearly as radical as you probably wish they were.

Last edited:
im only using the xonar for my 5.1 surround set so yeah im using it :D and i ordered noctua fans lets see when they arrive.
i LOVE the litttle W2 because its actually "little" and still takes a full ATX board. It used to fit INSIDE my old MICKE desk but then i only had a RX480 and that was cool and quiet.
Now i have the JERKER v1 and its on a bottom shelf with lots of free air all around.
I used to have some cheap 2x140mm fans on the bottom intake but 4x140m intake and 1x120 out doesnt seem right and it actually didnt change anything.

And if the noctua fans dont help i'll mod the case for top exhaust.

im only using the xonar for my 5.1 surround set so yeah im using it :D and i ordered noctua fans lets see when they arrive.
i LOVE the litttle W2 because its actually "little" and still takes a full ATX board. It used to fit INSIDE my old MICKE desk but then i only had a RX480 and that was cool and quiet.
Now i have the JERKER v1 and its on a bottom shelf with lots of free air all around.
I used to have some cheap 2x140mm fans on the bottom intake but 4x140m intake and 1x120 out doesnt seem right and it actually didnt change anything.

And if the noctua fans dont help i'll mod the case for top exhaust.
Hell, though entirely unconventitional maybe try making the bottom fans intake and the front fans exhaust.

Hell, though entirely unconventitional maybe try making the bottom fans intake and the front fans exhaust.
The front fans take air from a hole on the bottom of the front plate.
Maybe bottom fans give the 1080 more air.

pic at the moment:

Attachments

• cooltek.png
    cooltek.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
Oh, didn't realize that they couldn't breathe either. Yeah, without some modding I don't think there's much that you can do. =(

The pc was in need of serious cleaning i forgot how long it was since last time.
The cpu fan and heatsink was BAKED in crust.

Cpu and exhaust fan are now noctua nf-f12 industrialppc-3000 in intake is 2x noctua nf-a14 industrialppc-3000 pwm

Sadly 1 intake is on full blast the motherboard doesnt control it as it only has a 3 pin header and the fan is 4 pin ?
Im gonna try and use the case built in fan controller for now.

Does your mb bios have voltage control by chance?
iv looked into it and i can edit 3 fans not the 4th.
I can choose normal, silent, fullspeed or manual and enter a voltage. its just the 4th fan has no control it seems.

Thats not to bad then. Just need to dig out a splitter from the parts box and youll be gtg. No more airplane mode! I know how loud those ippc 3000s can be at full blast.

Thats not to bad then. Just need to dig out a splitter from the parts box and youll be gtg. No more airplane mode! I know how loud those ippc 3000s can be at full blast.
the ippc may be overkill and they sound like a drone is flying in my office, but its better than what it used to be :Di didnt do any gaming to test them ran out of time, maybe tonight.

edit: ordered a fan splitter didnt have a 4 pin one or i could solder one ...

Last edited:
The pc was in need of serious cleaning i forgot how long it was since last time.
The cpu fan and heatsink was BAKED in crust.

Cpu and exhaust fan are now noctua nf-f12 industrialppc-3000 in intake is 2x noctua nf-a14 industrialppc-3000 pwm

Sadly 1 intake is on full blast the motherboard doesnt control it as it only has a 3 pin header and the fan is 4 pin ?
Im gonna try and use the case built in fan controller for now.
So once you cleaned it it's cooling like it should?

4-pin fan running full speed on 3-pin header is header power problem on pin-2 (the +voltage pin). On PWM header pin-2 is 12 volt constant power. On variable voltage 3-pin header pin-2 is variable voltage pin-2 is variable voltage. This is also true of 4-pin header running variable voltage. So when a 4-pin PWM fan is plugged into 3-pin variable voltage header it automatically becomes a variable voltage fan.

I havent got time to test while gaming yet...fulltime job and kids and iv been hunting xmas presents for last 3 days and have a marriage to plan.

ok so i'v done an hour long racing in liveforspeed VR not that demanding but the case fans ramp up full after a while but there is COOL air blowing out of the pc instead of the old extremely hot wiff ... djeesh what a difference
and i dont hear the fans at all with my headset on :D tomorrow gonna try some heavy games on 4k and vr

Last edited:
Back