Impressive initial iPhone 4S performance numbers

kre62

Limp Gawd
Even though this is only a browser benchmark, it shows that the Apple phones are powerhouses.

Key take-aways:

The 4S is up to 3x faster than the 4 in some of these tests.

Also, the ORIGINAL 4 with iOS5 beats the Sammy GS2. The 4S is way faster. (The article incorretly claims a 42% increase, but using the correct formula of (new-old)/old we get a performance jump of 74%)

Third, the 3GS still holds its own, besting phones such as the Nexus One.

I think this should serve as a reminder that working harder (brute force specs with an unoptomized software platform) is vastly inferior to working smarter (Integrated software and hardware)

All specs are supposed to do is ensure a good fast user experience. If iOS is doing far better with less, it has the superior tech. Plus mouth watering battery life.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._5_dramatically_boost_browsermark_scores.html

Synthetic benchmarks can only tell you so much. For most normal websites the GS2 loaded pages faster than the 4 (when both were on the same wifi). I will take real world browsing speed over synthetic epeen anyday.

Synthetic benchmarks can only tell you so much. For most normal websites the GS2 loaded pages faster than the 4 (when both were on the same wifi). I will take real world browsing speed over synthetic epeen anyday.

Keep in mind that the GS2 did beat the 4 when the 4 had iOS 4. These numbers are with iOS5.

I can troll so much with that link but I choose not to.

I don't see how android can and will be affected by iOS5 or the iPhone 5 when it is released anyways.

I can troll so much with that link but I choose not to.

I don't see how android can and will be affected by iOS5 or the iPhone 5 when it is released anyways.

It can have an effect because not everyone is a blatant fanboy that will stick with Android just because it's Android, and if iOS5 is better than Android at something (mobile browsing), and it's important to them, they will switch.

It can have an effect because not everyone is a blatant fanboy that will stick with Android just because it's Android, and if iOS5 is better than Android at something (mobile browsing), and it's important to them, they will switch.
Forget both of them, WP7 for the win! :D

Forget both of them, WP7 for the win! :D

i will be seriously considering WP7 when Windows8 tablets for <$400 are mainstream...of course by then it will be WP8, but hopefully there will be a seamless transition from desktop/laptop, to tablet to phone....I think ICS Android may do this to a point, hopefully it does it well, but i still have Windows on my computers....I'm not against switching but there's no way in hell I'd switch to an OS that was so presumptuous and closed as Apples' iOS

Performance != User experience, esp. when you're only looking at web browser performance (something I rarely ever use on my "slow" Galaxy S). If all you're worried about is the web browser, by all means go blow hundreds of dollars on an iPhone.

The "key take-away" for me is that this is one random browser benchmark cherry picked by an Apple website which references a random youtube video from some random site I've never heard. Thank you. Tells me so much. :rolleyes:

The performance charts are from Anandtech.

Not so random after all?

Honest question here: does Apple's browser support auto-resizing of the webpage like Android's does? Like when you zoom in, it rebuilds the webpage quickly so that the text wraps to the screen, etc.

(Sorry, can't help the obvious jab) Oh, and websites tend to load a lot faster on 4G then they do on 3G. ;)

Hard to compare browser performance without comparing the limits on download speeds.

lol. Android browsers have limits as to how far their actually reflow text. Some sites (either designed by idiots or what) don't allow the reflow :kookoo:

Honest question here: does Apple's browser support auto-resizing of the webpage like Android's does? Like when you zoom in, it rebuilds the webpage quickly so that the text wraps to the screen, etc.

(Sorry, can't help the obvious jab) Oh, and websites tend to load a lot faster on 4G then they do on 3G. ;)

Hard to compare browser performance without comparing the limits on download speeds.

The iPhone doesnt do this. It handles this in a different way. It renders the webpage as is, and when you double tap to zoom in, it zooms to the column width, preserving the text as it is. It's very smooth and works very well.

Now that I have iOS5, I can also say that the reader function works very well. It might even be "phenominal" as forstall said.

Performance != User experience, esp. when you're only looking at web browser performance (something I rarely ever use on my "slow" Galaxy S). If all you're worried about is the web browser, by all means go blow hundreds of dollars on an iPhone.

Uhh, are you high or something? The user experience has ALWAYS been better on the iphone compared to android. brb, no GPU acceleration. Also, GSII costs the same as an iphone, so I guess we know who the fanboy is. If you were as concerned with user experience as your post conveys, you'd pick up an iphone or wp7 at least, but since you're a fandroid, you'll eat shit just to spite the rest of us. Enjoy.

I'm a Fandroid but I'm able to be pragmatic if iDiots are willing to do the same.

GPU acceleration is coming to Android in Ice Cream Sandwich. Presumably we'll start to see the kind of performance Apple has had up until now.

Understand that, Android suffers a limitation that iOS does not; hundreds of different options in terms of internal hardware. To cope with this, Android runs inside a virtual machine that interacts with the hardware. Virtual machines have performance limitations. This is the sacrifice us Android users make for the ability to pick and choose between what kind of hardware we want to use.

Google is doing its best to optimize the VM to work as efficiently as possible on different types of processors. Notice that the Nexus One ran on a Qualcomm SoC, the Nexus S runs on a Samsung SoC, and it appears the Nexus Prime will run on a TI SoC. I theorize that the one after that will run on an NVIDIA SoC, and then it'll be back to Qualcomm again. This is a pretty clear indicator of Google's effort.

Allowing the GPU to handle UI processes is a huge step forward. Until now, the GPU has sat idle and the CPU has done the grunt work on UI elements. I suspect power will also be saved with the GPU accelerating the UI.

It's pretty simple. If you want the smartphone that's the simplest to use and the most fluid, the iPhone is your device. If you want to choose your features and have the most control, Android is the way to go.

Iphones are nice and smooth, I'm waiting for a LTE and 4 inch plus screen iPhone, ill be the first person jumping ship and not looking back at android..

I'm a Fandroid but I'm able to be pragmatic if iDiots are willing to do the same.

GPU acceleration is coming to Android in Ice Cream Sandwich. Presumably we'll start to see the kind of performance Apple has had up until now.

Understand that, Android suffers a limitation that iOS does not; hundreds of different options in terms of internal hardware. To cope with this, Android runs inside a virtual machine that interacts with the hardware. Virtual machines have performance limitations. This is the sacrifice us Android users make for the ability to pick and choose between what kind of hardware we want to use.

Google is doing its best to optimize the VM to work as efficiently as possible on different types of processors. Notice that the Nexus One ran on a Qualcomm SoC, the Nexus S runs on a Samsung SoC, and it appears the Nexus Prime will run on a TI SoC. I theorize that the one after that will run on an NVIDIA SoC, and then it'll be back to Qualcomm again. This is a pretty clear indicator of Google's effort.

Allowing the GPU to handle UI processes is a huge step forward. Until now, the GPU has sat idle and the CPU has done the grunt work on UI elements. I suspect power will also be saved with the GPU accelerating the UI.

It's pretty simple. If you want the smartphone that's the simplest to use and the most fluid, the iPhone is your device. If you want to choose your features and have the most control, Android is the way to go.

Good post. Java is a problem though. Dalvik is a specialized mobile jvm that is far behind other jvm's in performance. The advantage is that since it is a vm, features can be added without affecting code - like adding JIT in Froyo. Hopefully things like Hotspot will get added, but the perf will never match native code. Google really should invest in something like ngen for .Net, which would compile all apps to native code upon installing and thus never inclur the hit of a vm.

I'm not sure just how much of Honeycomb/ICS is gpu enabled. Google has never come out and said it will have full hardware accel.

The real problem is Google treats Android as a vague platform with very little standardization. Almost any oem can license it and put any version of it on any device, no matter how crappy it is. As a user I don't care if Google has to support 1 phone or a million - Microsoft supports 10000x times hardware configs and they manage it fine. Look at WP7 - they published very strict reference platforms and profiles and made sure a device with WP7 will work well. Google would never enforce standards like that - they simply don't care.

The OS is still a mashup of various software pieces and stacks instead of being a cohesive system like iOS and WP7, and its always going to lag behind them in terms of design, performance and stability. The tradeoff is its much more open. e.g. I have never seen an app force close on either WP7 or iOS, whereas on Android its a regular occurrence if you play with the latest rom's.

Good post. Java is a problem though. Dalvik is a specialized mobile jvm that is far behind other jvm's in performance. The advantage is that since it is a vm, features can be added without affecting code - like adding JIT in Froyo. Hopefully things like Hotspot will get added, but the perf will never match native code. Google really should invest in something like ngen for .Net, which would compile all apps to native code upon installing and thus never inclur the hit of a vm.

I'm not sure just how much of Honeycomb/ICS is gpu enabled. Google has never come out and said it will have full hardware accel.

The real problem is Google treats Android as a vague platform with very little standardization. Almost any oem can license it and put any version of it on any device, no matter how crappy it is. As a user I don't care if Google has to support 1 phone or a million - Microsoft supports 10000x times hardware configs and they manage it fine. Look at WP7 - they published very strict reference platforms and profiles and made sure a device with WP7 will work well. Google would never enforce standards like that - they simply don't care.

The OS is still a mashup of various software pieces and stacks instead of being a cohesive system like iOS and WP7, and its always going to lag behind them in terms of design, performance and stability. The tradeoff is its much more open. e.g. I have never seen an app force close on either WP7 or iOS, whereas on Android its a regular occurrence if you play with the latest rom's.

Well, Google is catering to the manufacturers and the carriers because that's what convinced them to sell Android to begin with; the ability to customize Android to their liking. The reality is that very little of the Android community actually likes any of it.

As for force-closes, sure, ROMs are home-baked creations that do all sorts of crap that's not intended to be done. Some sacrifice stability for the sake of performance, and some sacrifice stability just because the chef doesn't know what he's doing. If you stick to professionally-developed ROMs this is much less of an issue.

Oh you didnt know?

Hardware Graphics Acceleration has been pushed to jelly bean. Android users will have to keep waiting.

Oh you didnt know?

Hardware Graphics Acceleration has been pushed to jelly bean. Android users will have to keep waiting.

Have a source for that statement? I hadn't heard that. And honestly, if that's what they have to do to make it work well, we'll wait.

My year-old Epic 4G is buttery smooth as is, so it's not something I'm terribly concerned about. UI GPU acceleration would benefit the folks on lower-end Android devices the most.

Have a source for that statement? I hadn't heard that. And honestly, if that's what they have to do to make it work well, we'll wait.

My year-old Epic 4G is buttery smooth as is, so it's not something I'm terribly concerned about. UI GPU acceleration would benefit the folks on lower-end Android devices the most.

I used to think my CM7 Beta Atrix was "buttery smooth," until I got my Mango'd Focus. Seriously, I never noticed it until I used my Atrix again :eek: :( (I got the Focus to replace my now dying Zune HD, lol... ended up mostly replacing my Atrix - I'm going to see what the next CM7 release does to it, first, and ICS, of course).

Google said that 'major changes' planned for ICS were pushed back to JB. Read into that what you will.

Android does slow down, even on fast phones with custom rom's. e.g. try to upgrade multiple apps at once and I notice jerks and glitches on my oc'd Evo 4G. Its not just the gpu, the scheduler is also to blame since Android is the only OS with real multitasking, so apps can and do slow down everything.

Google's rapid update schedule has hurt them - Microsoft and Apple release 1 update a year at most. Google rushed Honeycomb out, sounds like they're rushing ICS out, and they've admitted they need to do a better job and manage upgrades for phones.

Honeycomb was strictly for tablets only, so I don't think they rushed HC out even though they still haven't released the open source SDK for it. My idea is that they are planning to release ICS (CM 9 for cyanogen folks) possibly a month or so most before iPhone 5 is released.

By the way have any of you's noticed how cluttered and ugly iOS5's drop down notification list is after they took the idea from the simplistic android notification drop down list?

Google have said they didn't open-source HC precisely because it was rushed out and the code wasn't high quality enough (read: it's a mess) to be made public.

ICS should be announced in the next few weeks.

The iPhone doesnt do this. It handles this in a different way. It renders the webpage as is, and when you double tap to zoom in, it zooms to the column width, preserving the text as it is. It's very smooth and works very well.

Now that I have iOS5, I can also say that the reader function works very well. It might even be "phenominal" as forstall said.

That whole reader function thing (where you click a button and it removes all the adds and focuses on just the page) is seriously one of the best things to ever come out of apple. It'll make reading a webpage on a mobile platform SO much easier.

Lol at the guy that tried taking a jab at apple because it didn't change the flow of text when you zoomed in. I'd take the reader function over the reflow ANY day.

Google have said they didn't open-source HC precisely because it was rushed out and the code wasn't high quality enough (read: it's a mess) to be made public.

ICS should be announced in the next few weeks.

Seems like google can't control the number of mistakes they keep making...

A lot of bias in that article, some are true but things like iPhone's don't crash is rubbish which I have experienced plenty of times on my ex-contract iPhone 4 and 3GS stock and jailbroken.

Another funny thing is how the writer brags about the iPhone's hardware pretty much better then most other Android devices, when the manufacturers of those components used in iPhone 4 are made by the same companies offering other leading devices on the market.

I'm no troll or fanboy of either, but a smart consumer that chooses best bang/per buck.

I was just going to mention the reader function. It's a handy little feature to sperate the information you want from ad's and other useless crap that clutters the page. I'm definitely a fan

The only advantage you get with iPhones is a free proctocology exam. The down side is no reach arounds. Oh and still no flash. But that may be remedied now that jobs is dead.

It's crazy how loudly Apple fans scream in defense of their chosen platform. It's like they are ashamed of it and have to defend it out of fear of not looking cool.

Most android people say they like android because they get a choice in form factor, ect. Apple fans just want conformity and want to be told what to buy.

The only advantage you get with iPhones is a free proctocology exam. The down side is no reach arounds. Oh and still no flash. But that may be remedied now that jobs is dead.

It's crazy how loudly Apple fans scream in defense of their chosen platform. It's like they are ashamed of it and have to defend it out of fear of not looking cool.

Most android people say they like android because they get a choice in form factor, ect. Apple fans just want conformity and want to be told what to buy.

According to everything published in this thread, which you clearly didnt read, the advantage to the iPhone is that its the fastest, best performing phone on the market.

Pay attention to the username you chose, you should probably take some advice from him and chill out. Seems like you're pretty mad/hateful there.

2qJex.jpg

Last edited:

Strange, the only ones I see doing that, especially in this thread, are Android users.

I was just going to mention the reader function. It's a handy little feature to sperate the information you want from ad's and other useless crap that clutters the page. I'm definitely a fan

Yeah I've been loving that feature on WP7 since last December...

Even though this is only a browser benchmark, it shows that the Apple phones are powerhouses.

Key take-aways:

The 4S is up to 3x faster than the 4 in some of these tests.

Also, the ORIGINAL 4 with iOS5 beats the Sammy GS2. The 4S is way faster. (The article incorretly claims a 42% increase, but using the correct formula of (new-old)/old we get a performance jump of 74%)

Third, the 3GS still holds its own, besting phones such as the Nexus One.

I think this should serve as a reminder that working harder (brute force specs with an unoptomized software platform) is vastly inferior to working smarter (Integrated software and hardware)

All specs are supposed to do is ensure a good fast user experience. If iOS is doing far better with less, it has the superior tech. Plus mouth watering battery life.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._5_dramatically_boost_browsermark_scores.html

You had better inform my 3GS, that it should be going faster than my S2 loading a web page, apparently it didn't get that memo:p

Back