Importance of sticking to QVL lists with Ryzen?

Shocked

Limp Gawd
Building a video editing (Premiere Pro) rig for the office, having trouble narrowing down RAM selection. Likely looking at getting one of the MSI B350 boards (B350 Gaming Pro or Tomahawk) or the Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming because of their support for higher rated RAM speeds.

However, the QVL list for the Gigabyte is very small, and for the MSI boards there just aren't that many 16GB DIMMs listed as being supported (although the Tomahawk could do 4x8GB if it had to).

So, I could drop down to 16GB which would be much easier on my budget, or forego faster RAM entirely in favor of DDR4-2666 or DDR4-2400 (in which case I'd probably switch to one of the ASRock or ASUS boards in that range).

Or I could take my chances with something not on the QVL. That's never been an issue for me before, except I've been reading how picky Ryzen and the B350 chipsets are.

I probably have up to $280 (in the US) to spend on RAM if anyone has specific recommendations. Thanks!

If you only need 16gb i would go 2x8gb kit, feels like the most common. I used that set up on two ryzen builds, i would shy away from populating all slots if you could, the double sided memory and the 4 banks of Ram can cause more headaches. I am sure its better now with the newest bios's but I would be very careful. The gskill flarex kits are still pretty good. My Gskill kit in my sig is working at 3200, its teh samsung bdie 14 latency memory, but i had the 16-18-18-38 3200 ripjaw kit in another build that could not do past 2933.( that was in a MSI b350m mortar)

Yeah, filling all the DIMM slots is never my first choice, but I thought it might be a little less worrisome since (I forgot to mention) I won't be OC'ing this rig given its going to be a machine for the office. Still, I'll do my best to avoid it.

I haven't seen any Flare X in 32GB kits faster than 2400. It's been mentioned to me that I should look for faster RAM speeds for Ryzen and the machine's primary use (video editing) but I'm not sure just exactly how much difference it'll make. It seems finding faster RAM than the Flare X that is B350 compatible is going to run quite a bit more expensive.

Hmm not sure how much the ram speed will effect video editing, i know in 1080p gaming its huge. Do not think i have seen any benchmarks regarding that. I mean it speeds up the chip in general so the faster speeds will be better but as far as noticing the difference in that specific task I do not know.

From what I can gather the G.Skill DDR4-3200 cas 14 sticks are non-Flare X / Fortis memory known for having Ryzen compatibility, but at $350 the cost is pretty insane. I wish I could find a decent compromise probably around DDR4-3000 cas 15 that's on any of the QVL lists or at least known to be Ryzen-friendly. $280 for memory is already pushing it for my budget for this build.

yeah the 14 latency is the samsung B die and the 16 is hynix( alot of the corsair mem is this) My RGB Trident z kit is the samsung b Die but im still running an older bios because it works at 3200 and im scared to change it :)

video editing isn't memory latency sensitive
http://translate.googleusercontent....4.html&usg=ALkJrhj9dwlt5QfmHUHU-CtCAdo7vh7hhQ
its a orderly process so its easy for the cpu cache to predict what it needs and have it ready in the cache when the cpu wants it while games are much more random and harder to predict

if you don't want to oc then anything over 2667mhz is kinda overclocking
your better of sinking your cash into the best ryzen\threadripper cpu you can afford and if your editing large files 2x16g ram leaving room to expand to 64g

Well, that answers my question pretty nicely then, thanks. Besides video editing I'll be doing a fair bit of multitasking (managing websites and client lists etc.) but nothing I imagine I'd notice a difference having faster RAM with.

Back