Importance of Secure Erases on SSDs

I just finished up with my first SSD install. I dropped a Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 240gb (SF12xx based) drive into my laptop.

I had some difficulty getting everything setup properly. Turns out the version of Intel RST (rapid storage technology) was causing slowdowns, BSODs, and system lock-ups.

After sticking with the default version that loaded with Windows 7, my system seems 100% stable.

My concern is that when the drive was brand new, I installed Windows with the Intel RST driver, and I had problems, so I just re-ran the Windows 7 install program again and quick formatted the drive.

It was on the 2nd install that I noticed it was the Intel RST driver causing the problems, so I reinstalled a third time.

I am now on that third install, but I have just recently read that it is recommended that I do a secure erase before a Windows 7 install. Will I experience dramatically worse performance on my system having done 3 full Windows 7 installs without ever doing a secure erase?

Will TRIM eventually put my drive into a state similar to a fresh post-Windows install securely erased drive?

I wouldn't worry about it if you have to reinstall everything.

Back